main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series No Romance between Main Characters Plz

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Should there be Romance between some of the main Characters?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. maybe

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    I voted yes to romance.

I've been a shipper since well before I knew what it was and will continue un-apologetically into the future. Honestly, it's not any different than fandom's countless- Who would win in a fight? go arounds. Relationships are a normal everyday part of life- why not see it in shows/movies/books/games etc?

2. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Queer characters and queer relationships are only an "issue" and including them is only an "agenda" or what the **** ever, when you're a cis straight dude that has a problem with it. For everybody else, it's just part of life, and natural representation of a pretty big chunk of the audience that deserves to see some reflection of themselves in the media they enjoy. It's not politics, it's people.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Frankly, I think those are even worse.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    This being a Weisman show I think it's highly likely we'll see some sort of a love triangle/octathedron but I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. I thought he handled it pretty well in Spectacular Spider-man but I found the romance in Young Justice, along with most of the characters, irritating.

5. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    As far as I'm concerned love triangles are never a good thing. Though I don't recall there being one in Gargoyles (still his magnum opus IMO), so there's still hope.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The level of stupidity that is the love triangle is only surpassed by the level of stupidity that is "I can't live without this person".

Happy Valentine's Day Star Wars TV. [face_love]

7. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Not always, but a lot of the time, in things like RPG video games for instance, characters seem to be represented so that every one is available to a member of the opposite sex.

Like in Mass Effect, if you're a male character, then it seems like all female characters are available if you play your cards right (though the inclusion of homosexual characters in ME3 made this not the case).

But even then, their unavailability boils down to their sexual orientation. Why can't two heterosexual characters not occupy the same space without developing attraction for each other? The thing that killed Luke's attraction to Leia was the fact that she was his sister, but in ESB he was mighty proud of himself when she kissed him.

The PT was actually pretty much devoid of this, given the Jedi were the principal characters and very monk-like, and I'm glad that Lucas dropped the idea that Palpatine was feeding Anakin the idea that Obi-Wan and Padme were spending a little too much time together. Though they brought Clovis into TCW to make Anakin jealous.

It's possible to have characters enter a relationship without having a competitor. Whether it be due to age gap, the person already being in a relationship, an incompatible sexual orientation, or the often overlooked reality that not everyone is attracted to every single member of the opposite sex.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You just ruined the weekend for an inconceivable number of teenage girls writing fan fiction. :_|

Dathomir-Witch and TaradosGon like this.
  9. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

[​IMG]

10. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I going to vote 'maybe' for a couple different reasons.

I actually am a fan of romance stories, but only specific ones. My criteria are stories that are well written with deep plots and three dimensional characters whose goal in life is something well above and beyond just getting in bed with their fellow protagonist (or antagonist depending on what you're reading). I know what most people will say. Most romances have none of this and plots that are paper thin. You're right, but good romance does exist. It can be hard to find, but it is out there.

The most satisfying romances to me are the ones where the romance itself is not the only plot, but either is a subplot that enhances the main plot, or, if it must be the focus, then there needs to be other well written sub-plots that have a tangible impact on it as the main plot.

If they decide to do a romance then it needs to be well written. It absolutely can NOT be tacked just for it's own sake. Since I suspect the main plots of the show will be action oriented, or tense & dramatic, then I would need a romantic sub-plot to have a tangible, noticeable affect on the main plot. They can't just do one romantic episode for the sake of fan service in a season and then never visit it again.

that's actually why, while I enjoy "A Friend in Need" from TCW very much and it's towards in the high end of my favorite eps, it bothers me that now, with everything said and done, it seems like that's exactly what they did with it. One quick quasi-romantic storyline tacked on for the sake of the fans.

So, to sum up, yes to romance, only if it's not done for it's own sake.

11. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    In regards to my last post I'm not saying that if a gay couple, whether black/white or implied, appears in Rebels that it will automatically be political. I just wouldn't like any kind of tacked on references to real world political issues appearing in the show. I mean this is a Star Wars animated series we're talking about not some after school special or PSA commercial.

I know EECHUUTA said that it can be hard not for something like that not to be portrayed politically. I understand that. However, despite whatever concerns I may have, I am sure that Greg Weisman and the rest of show's crew could portray gay characters in a positive/non-political manner if they do appear in Rebels. Now does this mean that a gay couple will appear in the show? No it doesn't. Yet with the gay couple that was briefly introduced in Good Luck Charlie it opens the door for more ideas like that being used in Rebels or any other kids show. If a gay couple is shown in Rebels then that's fine with me. Just please no after school/PSA/Seth MacFarlane political style writing if gay characters are shown in Rebels.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Dude, I totally called it. He's totally doing the smolder! (See: left)

[​IMG]

Don't you dare tell me he's not. I was right, kark it. [face_not_talking]

13. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    If there is a romance, I wonder how tame it will be. I doubt we'll see any... er... proton torpedoes launching down exhaust ports...

14. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    The way I see it, a romance between two of them could work if done well, but preferably no love triangles since those are so hard to do right and usually comes off as clichéd, angsty and annoying hindrances that feel unnecessary to the story.

15. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    If they can do romance right it would be a nice addition, but the show should never revolve around it.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm calling it now- Chopper/Ghost. [face_love]

17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm voting for romance, in general.

These characters are not the anti-relationship monks of the PT and TCW. It would be weird for them not to develop romantic or sexual feelings for others.

Now how the representation of such feelings plays out is another question. Obviously I think romance can be represented in a way that doesn't make us sick.

I believe in human characters, even if they are alien. That means they should not be celibates or eunuchs. Unless they are villains, or locked in a convent.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Let the 'ships begin sailing...

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    OTP!!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Kanan, Sabe, Hera love triangle is all but confirmed honestly.

If not something is going to go on with at least 2 of those 3. Might not be a Season 1 thing but it is definitely something that will happen.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_plain]

Adding to a list I made in another thread about things that will make me hate the show very quickly.

And Hera seems sensible enough to understand that love triangles are ****ing stupid because if a man is worth fighting another woman over, you won't have to fight over him, he'll just choose you.

Don't disappoint me, Disney.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I said this already here, but I won't watch the show if we get the "typical Disney love plot" and/or a silly love triangle. TCW managed to appeal to female fans without a (running) silly love story; surely Rebels can do the same.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    How so? I think Sabine is too young for Kanan; she would more likely be a LI for Ezra.

24. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Personally I think Hera will be paired with Kanan, because they're closer in age, and probably some other reason like "her maturity and leadership appeals to him." Then it will be Sabine and Ezra, perhaps an "opposites attract" thing? I'd love to see if Zeb gets paired off, LOL.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

25. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013