main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII... v. 2.0

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthTunick , Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  2. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Man, I'm so glad other people are voicing their burnout with this stuff. I have seen IM1 and 2, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers. I didn't like any of them. In fact, I found Avengers to be exceedingly obnoxious, as if it "knew" it was cool, but really wasn't. And what really struck me is how Whedon (who I am no fan of in the first place) totally sidestepped anything remotely artful in his delivery. The cinematography was boring, the story was abysmally pedestrian, and I can't even remember what the music was like.

I did enjoy Nolan's first two Batman movies enough. Dark Knight is a great movie, really, but not anything like what people make it out to be. TDKR was awful though. Just really, really bad.

I think the superhero craze is inflating to the point where, unless Marvel and Disney have an ingenious exit strategy, it will collapse in devastation. Having said that, I am eagerly awaiting X-Men: Days of Future Past, because the X-Men are the only superheroes I've ever cared about in the first place. Yes, Wolverine: Origins and X-Men: The Last Stand were really horrendous, but that's not such a bad track record when you look at how great X2 was across the board. X1 and First Class were so enjoyable by themselves, and I was pleasantly surprised with how solid The Wolverine was (until the last act, which was just a bizarre shift in storytelling and tonality).

I tend to agree that SW is a different animal, but I do have fleeting concern for how well it can keep ahead of audience fatigue. Hopefully Lucasfilm knows that people would like to see a break from the formula with the spinoffs and for them to try something new. In fact, I'm very confident that this will happen. I would love to see SW drift into different sub-genres like noir, or horror. That could certainly facilitate a newness to something that will, on paper, appear to be tired. I mean 9 core films + spinoffs + TV shows? It sounds like a lot. But as was said earlier, since the 90s SW has permeated media outlets and there have been no signs of the currents slowing, nor audience demand weakening in the slightest. Even with alleged "failures" and "missteps."

EHT likes this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm a fan of Whedon for his humor and characters, which are best when he has several seasons to build them up, but artfulness isn't really one of his strong suits. I thought The Avengers was a slightly better than average superhero movie, but nothing too great. I much prefer him as a TV writer/producer, although I still haven't made it very far into AOS.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What a crazy week. 3 papers due in 2 days earlier this week. Paper on the economic reasons on why Japan, Germany, and Italy started WWII, paper on comparing Confucius and Mencius and paper on the creation of the Erie Canal and Capitalism back then.

EHT likes this.
  5. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Which is why I'm going for a certificate and not a degree. I'm done with the week's homework.:p

*still* nothing official? Ugh. Why do I bother? :rolleyes:

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Because you are learning to "count it all joy when you face various trials" and we grow through maddening circumstances such as your current academic futility. :p

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Another fine all-windows open day, another round of good rock'n'roll and creative boosts and lots of coffee, hah. This time around, script writing.

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Tonight is weigh-in for my son's cub scout pinewood derby race (small wooden race cars the scouts build and race on a track). Tomorrow morning is the big race. [face_dancing] [checkered flag icon]

9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    This may sound silly to you, but as someone who's outside of USA, I kind of thought that's something people only do in 80s cartoons :p

Best of luck to him!

10. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    EHT: The Pinewood Derby was actually a big deal for me back in the day. Miraculously, I won it once with a New York Yankees-themed car. :)

Good luck with the race. :D

Darth Chiznuk , EHT and T-R- like this.
  11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I remember those days well. I still have my cars in the attic. Good luck to him!

Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Haha, yeah... I was in cub scouts in the 80's and we did the pinewood derby then too. It appears that nothing about the cars has changed either. Thanks!

Thanks for the other wishes of good luck too. Hopefully I have good news to share later. It's his first time, since he's a tiger cub (first year of cub scouts).

Darth Chiznuk and T-R- like this.
  13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    You did take a few hints from Ben Hur, right? Spikes on wheels and all that?

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I wanted to, but sadly those types of modifications aren't allowed. Something about cheating not being in the spirit of friendly competition or something. :p

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm actually really excited for Guardians of the Galaxy, it looks ridiculous, but that's part of the fun.

Good luck to your son, EHT There were a lot of groups and clubs that did that when I was growing up, but sadly I was not one in of them... I always thought it looked like fun.

Darth Chiznuk and EHT like this.
  16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks mavjade ! Regarding GOTG, I honestly can't get into the idea of seeing it at all. Though there is something fun about a raccoon with a machine gun. :D

T-R- likes this.
  17. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I got second in my pinewood derby race. Ninja-turtle theme!

I am fascinated by foreigners views of this kind of thing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinewood_derby

EHT and T-R- like this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    With your help, he could be better than three times champion Ronnie Beck

EHT likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If I looked hard enough I could possibly find my old Pinewood Derby car. If I still have it. Man, cub scouts and boy scouts were great times for a kid. Of course, I and half my troop quit before making it to eagle scout. :p

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    When I was in, a bunch of us finished cub scouts and then quit... not wanting to be boy scouts. I kind of doubt my son will want to stay in beyond cub scouts either, which is fine, but he's enjoying it now.

T-R- likes this.
  21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I went from Tiger Cub through Cub Scouts and into Boy Scouts and made it to 1st Class. A bunch of us quit at the same time when we realized we were behind schedule to make it to Eagle Scout. Another troop merging into ours also made it less fun and helped with the decision to quit.

EHT likes this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I know I'm a bit late on this but YA stands for Young Adult.

23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ah, OK... thought it may have been that. Thanks.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    did you ever see Donner's cut of Superman II? It makes House Party look like House Party 2

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I like the idea of it and I would have much preferred if he had been able to finish his movie, but I have trouble watching that cut because it's just too unfinished... the Lester footage doesn't blend as well as in the final cut, the test footage really throws me out of it, and it needed a new ending after they used it for the first movie. So I still pretty much stick with the theatrical version and lament what might have been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.