main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm not the only one who could care less if the planet was called Moriband, right? Right!?

BigAl6ft6, Dra---, T-R- and 1 other person like this.
  2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it's a rather pointless retcon if the planet is exactly the same as Korriban. It's something I can get over but I think the original name is a lot better and I still hope it's the one they use and that Moriband is just a stand-in name until the episode airs.

3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    It's not about being bent over it. It just seems silly. If we get some reddish sand-covered planet that happens to have a large valley filled with tombs and statues dedicated to ancient Sith Lords and they call it Moriband, then that is kinda lame.

I will be able to get over it in about 5 seconds, but it is still lame.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'll still call it Korriban... Just to drive the new fans nuts and confuse them. Its my right as an older fan to be grumpy and picky while also teasing the noobs :p

In fairness I reserve the right to randomly call it Moriband if it becomes officially named Korriban to test if fellow fans where rumor hunting like I was before VII was released.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    First off, I'll take Lucas' preferred name over an EU name any day. Second, Moriband might be its original name known to Lucas while the EU made up their own name for it in the 90's. Third, they both could be names for the same planet from 2 different languages just like country names are different based on language. Example: Nippon-Nihon-Japan-tSeapain-Giappone

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I hated Moriband at first, and I still prefer Korriban, but the name has grown on me. I'm also unsure of why the name would be changed, if it has. Perhaps the writers like the meaning of the root better? I'm not sure what "korri" refers to -- anyone?

EDIT: In Greek, it means "daughter."

So maybe that's why they like "mori" better, since it refers to death.

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    and let's not forget that the EU is a little jacked when it comes to the name of the Sith homeworld, as Korriban was known as Pesegam during the reign of Xim, not to mention the whole Ziost retcon.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  8. Jerran Tankarri

Jerran Tankarri Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2013
    Are you kidding me? Moriband?? What??

Immortiss, TKT and Ryus like this.
  9. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I suppose we'll see for ourselves soon enough, but frankly, if the retcon is made and it's not only poorly done but pointless, then I really could care less about the future star wars products, lazy writing isn't my thing.

Oh and Wookieepedia, contrary to popular belief is almost always sourced correctly, if not then the more active members will immediately tear something out, especially something as important as that.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    March 7th is coming so slow! I have vowed to TRY to watch the final episodes in order and NOT jump straight to the Yoda arc.

Immortiss, Dra---, TKT and 2 others like this.
  11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I do not vow. [face_devil]

TheBBP likes this.
  12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Huh, did not know that mori meant death... and they say that you should cease computer activity because it kills brain cells, ha. I lrn smthng nw evry dy.

Honestly, the name Moriband has been steadily growing on me ever since its' initial inception within the rumor mill when I confused it with the word Mortiband. The former sounds a bit like the term 'morbid', which in turn is a decent commentary on the Sith. Thought the name worked well in that sense, dunno. Only real reason I knew of Korriban, initially, was because of Knights of the Old Republic so I guess I would not be bothered either way.

Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  13. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Korriban sounds very jagged and dangerous, with that nice hard consonant at the start. It feels like a curse, fit to be snarled between gritted teeth and ragged lips by some vengeful being, very Sith.

Moriband is a comparitively rounded and gentle name, not at all befitting a Sith planet. 'Mori' may be latin for death, but 'band' implies circularity, unity, and wholeness, negating any dark connotations.

I haven't even played Knights of the Old Republic, so my viewpoint isn't coloured by nostalgia. Moriband is just lame compared to Korriban.

14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a pretty tight analysis. This is why I often privilege sound over meaning when it comes to character names.

TKT likes this.
  15. Jerran Tankarri

Jerran Tankarri Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2013
    This annoys me far more then it should, but Korriban is a very established planet. Its been in many games, comics, and books. Its one of my favorite planets. This is such a careless retcon.

TKT and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    They sell death sticks on the planet Contraband.

But you didn't hear this from me.

17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    I disagree. Wedding bands are circular, imply unity and possibly impending doom contingent on a persons' perspective. Just depends on how you view the term is all.

In addition, band indicates 'a thing that restrains, binds, or unites', so altogether Mori-band would signify something along the lines of death unites which could be a fair assessment of the Sith order, I guess, since they generally tend to kill all living things with the common aspiration of galactic domination taking precedent for most.
    You ought to; fantastic game.
    I get what you are saying, and I respect your opinion on the matter.
    I dig that kind of analysis too. The way I have got it figured is I just imagine Palpatine's gravely ire as he articulates the term 'Je-die' the way he does in the OT, and I replace the term Jedi with, in this case, Moriband. If I can picture Palpatine asserting it, then it sounds Sithy enough to me.

TKT and Dra--- like this.
  18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    That's the problem with your statement right there... 'enough' isn't good enough.:p It should be better than 'Sithy enough' of the two imho Korriban is far more Sith like. Not to mention sounds like a twisted spin on Corsucant.

I can deal with Moriband, but it isn't prefered...

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think Moriband sounds better if I pronounce the "a" as an "ah" sound rather than the more American sounding "band".

Dra--- likes this.
  20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, we're getting upset by a change to an EU planet name, yet accept changes to the Emperor's TESB dialogue,Vader screaming NOOOO in RotJ and Hayden replacing Shaw...............yep, makes sense

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    THEY DON"T RESPECT THE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE SPENT MONEY ON TEH BOOKS!!!1!!one!!1!!

EHT, DanielUK, DarthBreezy and 4 others like this.
  22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    or respect those thousands that have played a video game!!!1!!one!!1!!

23. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Fans *shakes head*. It is never good enough for you is it... Here we have Filoni and company bending over backwards for you people, and yet nothing pleases you. I cannot believe *goes off on tangent*

...and now enough is not good enough? Unbelievable... :p

Seriously, though, I will openly admit that Korriban fit in the Star Wars universe perfectly all these years, and as such it would be a pity to see it go, but by that same token I think that it may have outplayed its' use at this point, especially if those behind Star Wars' future canon wish to begin anew. Admittedly, though, I am not what you might call a 'fan' of the EU in many of its' prior incarnations, and maybe I just subconsciously seek its' destruction at this point. Dunno...
    That, and also perhaps if you trill the 'r' sound it carries a bit more kick imo.

Dra--- and Mystery Roach like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have sympathy for fans who feel it is an unnecessary alteration, but I suspect the name will be said once if at all, unless it is the subject of some species' song... at which point I will dislike it for completely different reasons.

T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Species song. Muahaha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.