main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What's Yub Nub?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheChosenSolo, Feb 22, 2014.

1. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I was looking for videos on YouTube about the changes in the OT, and the guy mentioned that there was a "Yub Nub" missing from the end of RotJ. Is Yub Nub the title of the John Williams score or something, and the newer versions took out that track?

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah Yub Nub is the original song at the end. This is basically the only change I really liked, the newer version shows different planets celebrating the end of the Empire with a different song. Yub Nub is just Endor.

3. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    When was the change made?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    1997 or 2004.

5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Furthermore, what is Jedi Rocks? Everyone seems to hate it, but I'm not sure which version it is in.

6. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Jedi Rocks, I believe, is the updated Max Rebo/Sy Snootles song released in the SE.

I'm curious, my cousin had the OT on VHS, and when we watched RotJ together, I don't recall anything different about the ending song other than the acoustics sounded different in the DVD special edition release. Other than that, the song was identical?

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The OT Special Edition was released on VHS, that's probably what you watched. VHS can only give 2.0 stereo sound whereas DVDs can do multiple channels (5.1 Surround being a theatrical standard).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013

Yeah, that was bad. [face_sick]

9. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    ^^ Jedi Rocks...ewwww...the song that must not be named...I mean played ;)

10. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Sorry in advance.

....and puke.

11. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    That's hideous.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh. I grew up with it for years before the 04 DVD release so I don't mind it. The new victory celebration theme is better but I can't hate this classic. Also has Shaw so it works for me.

thejeditraitor, Sarge and Yanksfan like this.
  13. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Good for you dude, I've never seen it before so obviously comparing it to the new ones it just looks bizarre to me.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You owe it to yourself to see the originals at least once.

15. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    I saw them a very long time ago, don't remember much. I think i may have to delve back in.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Good. Good.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Force Smuggler
    I think you mean to say it like
    "Gooood... gooooooood..."

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That works too.

IBYM and Seagoat like this.
  19. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    To be honest, Williams' Victory Celebration is much preferable than the Yub Nub, IMHO. It is most likely just because that's the one I grew up with, but considering I was 4 years old when TPM came out, I "grew up" with a LOT of Lucas' changes without even realizing that a lot of them weren't originally part of the films.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to say, I'm really surprised that we've come to a point where this question is being asked. I don't like or miss Yub Nub, but I do know what it is.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    wow...total opposite here. I was about 5 years old when I saw ROTJ in the theatre and both Lapti Nek and Yub Nub were a big part of that eye-opening moment for my impressionable young mind. Now a more cynical adult, I recognize that Victory Celebration is probably a better composition...but nostalgia creeps in and makes me miss ol' Yub Nub (I actually can sing the song verbatim in both Ewokese & English...nerd-a-riffic).

CANNOT STAND Jedi Rocks...looks like something more appropriate for Labyrinth than a raucous party in an intergalactic gangster's citadel. Lapti Nek served its function extremely well IMO. I remember feeling the vibrations in my seat and being genuinely unsettled by the riff-raff in Jabba's court's hoots & hollers. Annie Arbogast's vocals emphasized the banality of it all. Great scene ruined by that damn Yuzzum.

22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Despite my user name, I'm the first to admit that Yub Nub is pretty silly stuff, but it does work in the OOT context of ROTJ ending with a celebration solely on Endor. For the montage across the galaxy celebrating the fall of the Empire, forget it, no point keeping Yub Nub as the music.

However, Victory Celebration is just awful. You get the impression that JW was told to compose something with the same cutesy feeling of Yub Nub, but without the Ewok/Endor flavour. Take that away and it's just muzak - Air Supply or Kenny G might as well have done it.

When the galaxy-wide celebration was done for the SE (and the new Making of ROTJ book indicates that it actually was something GL did originally want to do), the finale of ROTJ really needed something far more majestic - a reworking of the Throne Room theme from SW/ANH (which is based on the Force/Jedi theme) would have been perfect.

And yes, Jedi Rocks completely and utterly sucks. Prior to the SE's, I always felt that Lapti Nek was pretty cringeworthy, particularly compared to the music in the Mos Eisley cantina, but the rotten attempt at improving the musical number in Jabba's Palace would have to rank as my most hated OT change. It's the one change I find genuinely unwatchable - and even more objectionable when listening to the soundtrack.
    The reason Lapti Nek didn't really work was that it attempted to be both contemporary and otherworldly at the same time (as opposed to the cantina band, which was based around old-fashioned Glen Miller style music) - Jedi Rocks simply repeats the same mistake, but in a far more ostentatious fashion.

23. Rowboatcop

Rowboatcop Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2011
    John Williams was given the work print of the new extended ending, which was temp-tracked with this music from a documentary on native americans and told to do something in that vein.

24. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Considering RotJ came out 31 years ago now, it's bound to start getting to that point. I mentioned how I was 4 when TPM came out. My folks apparently took me to see it in theaters, but I have NO recollection of it; my introduction, as I recall it, was going to see Attack of the Clones in 2002. By this time, my dad had recorded TPM from one time it aired on Fox, and we got AotC on DVD. This was Star Wars for me, and I wanted to be Anakin Skywalker when I grew up. :p

FRAGWAGON and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude, that would totally not be a good idea. [face_laugh]

(I wanted to be Leia. I still do.)

I liked Yub Nub, and I loved the victory celebration, especially with the snapshots all over the galaxy of people celebrating. I sort of wish there was a way to keep both.

FRAGWAGON likes this.