main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Who here actually LIKED the book Revan?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by DarthZotte, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthZotte

DarthZotte Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 21, 2014
    I came in late when it came to the KOTOR games. I played the first and second almost ten years after the first game's release, and then read Revan immediately after. I thought the ending viewed Revan as a great hero because he was still able to protect Bastilla and his son Vaner. It's a great love story.​

2. kel_Ronin

kel_Ronin Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 19, 2013
    I liked it. It's not my favorite but I had no problems with it

DarthZotte likes this.
  3. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I still haven't played any of the Old Republic games, but I'm still a fan of Revan's character, and I did enjoy the novel.

DarthZotte likes this.
  4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I enjoyed it, as with kel it wasn't my favorite of all time but it was decent.

Darth_Kiryan and DarthZotte like this.
  5. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I thought it was pretty good.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

DarthZotte likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I found it an enjoyable enough read - though it must be said that I have never played the KOTOR games.

DarthZotte likes this.
  7. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    Try them out, I think you'll really like them. Since you've already read Revan, you will probably enjoy KOTOR II more, because there is very little about KOTOR II mentioned in Revan, while the book talks a lot about the events in the first game. That being said, you'll probably get more out of the second game then you will the first.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It could have been better but I enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthZotte likes this.
  9. BenKenobi1138

BenKenobi1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2013
    I absolutely loved the book! I just wish Revan's role in SWTOR was better/bigger.

10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I despised it. Drew Karpyshin should stick to writing games, because he writes his books exactly like them. And comparing Drew Karpyshin to a genius like Chris Avellone in the Game script field is just asking for trouble.

The book was terrible in my eyes. Character derailment, outright ignoring important facts from KOTOR 2, and completely destroying the entire purpose of the Jedi Exile's existence. (plus Meetra Surik is an awful name, almost as bad as Vaner.)

11. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I agree with the decaying one in the shadowing corner ;)

12. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    To each his own. I can understand why people who loved the KOTOR games would hate Revan, and people who have NOT played the KOTOR games would probably love Revan (though they would get more out of it if they played the KOTOR games). I personally loved it and I highly respect the games, but what did you mean by 'completely destroying the Exile's existence'?

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked the book but have not played the games.

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked parts of it, sure. The section with Canderous and the other Clan Ordo Mandalorians on Rekkiad was great, it was an interesting first look at the society of the Sith Empire, Scourge was intriguing, the background on Vitiate was suitably dark and creepy for the ultimate big bad of the era, and the reawakening of Revan was quite a scene. But the handling of the Exile's character was poor―though I can't say I was bothered by the name Karphyshyn gave her―and Bastila got sidelined in an awkward "shoe out the wife" sort of way, and it seemed as though KotORII was largely being swept under the rug.

Revanfan1, Contessa and Iron_lord like this.
  15. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    You make some good points, but here's something to consider. Drew Karpyshyn, the author, was the lead writer for the first KOTOR but not the second, so it makes sense that he's more focused on the events of the first game rather than the second.

16. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    Try them, they're really great.

17. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    New question regarding opinions on Revan: For those of you who have NOT played the games but read the book, what do you take out of the book if you haven't had exposure to the full stories of the KOTOR games beforehand?

18. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    If KOTOR is heavily represented in the novel, does that mean that Darth Revan is a character in KOTOR II?

19. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    He is not, but he's mentioned many times, and the Exile Meetra Surik finds out that he's out there in the galaxy somewhere (which we find out where in the novel).

20. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Just for the record, in some respects I agree with you. I disliked "Revan" as a book almost as much as Death Troopers. However, I absolutely loved Path of Destruction. For me at any rate, Karpyshyn is a hit-or-miss author, not just an overall deplorable author. So in that respect I disagree. But it all comes down to personal preference.

21. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    I loved Revan and the Bane trilogy, but I DID dislike Annihilation. Annihilation was an example of a miss for Drew.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Well, I did enjoy Path of Destruction, but I felt that it took too many liberties with Bane's source material. Plus it kept shoving Darth Revan into the plot for no reason other than to ego stroke.

23. DarthZotte

Feb 21, 2014
    I actually felt that the Revan references was a neat touch to the trilogy. It showed that Revan made an impact on people even after so many years.

24. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    If it was anyone other than Karpyshin writing the books, I'd just be like "yeah, whatever." But the fact that it was Drew writing it annoyed me.

Here's the thing: Drew Karpyshin might have created Revan, but he wasn't the one who made the character interesting. If we just go by KOTOR 1 alone, all Revan was was a Sith Lord and a plot twist. It wasn't until KOTOR 2 came around, with Chris Avellone's fantastic script, that people started looking at Revan as this godlike being and greatest force user ever. Avellone was the one that elaborated on Revan's strategic prowess and his moral ambiguity. The idea that he joined the Dark Side out of necessity as a military general was a unique perspective on the nature of the Force, and it gave a lot of depth to an otherwise blank slate character.

Then, once Revan got back into Karpyshin's hands, he suddenly acts like he came up with all that stuff? I'm sorry, but the Revan in this book, and in TOR is anemic, boring, and derivative. The prospect that he was brainwashed by Darth Vitiate, and that he was actually working for the True Sith all along when he attacked the Republic in the Jedi Civil War does a disservice to the legacy that was built up around his character. He was relegated from a smart, if incredibly cruel and calculating warlord, into just another pawn of an even more derivative and boring Super Sith.

25. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    ^That. So much that.

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.