main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Wun Hung Lo

Wun Hung Lo Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2014
    Thank you for taking the time to make this timeline. I appreciate it and will reference it often as I make my way through these eras.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hey guys. I'm not new to the EU, but I am looking for more books to read. The ones that I have enjoyed the most so far are:

- Darth Plagueis
    - Revan
    - Darth Bane Trilogy
    - Labyrinth of Evil
    - Shatterpoint
    - Thrawn Trilogy
    - Force Unleashed

I already have Scoundrels, which I haven't read yet. Any other suggestions? I think Kenobi and Lockdown look good.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If you enjoyed Revan, and the Darth Bane trilogy, The Old Republic: Annihilation may appeal.

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor could be thought of as a sequel to Shatterpoint - it's similar in style, too.

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader is part 3 in the Dark Lord Trilogy (Labyrinth of Evil, RoTS, Dark Lord) - may appeal for that reason.

mes520 and Darkslayer like this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Definitey recommend Kenobi, and I enjoyed Lockdown.

pronker and Darkslayer like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Iron_lord LAJ_FETT

Thanks for the recs guys! I think Scoundrels, Kenobi, Lockdown, and then Shadows of Mindor will be my next few.

May give Dark Lord another shot once I'm home for the summer. I tried it before, having read LoE and ROTS, but it didn't hold my attention. That was years ago though, so maybe it's time for another try. :)

pronker likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the Darth Bane trilogy are some good books.

7. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    I'm finishing up with NJO shortly and will be circling back to the PT stuff. Best to start with Darth Plagueis and go forward, or should I go with publication order?

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're just doing the PT stuff, chronological is fine. It's more or less the same as publication order, so it all flows pretty well.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Wouldn't it be better to read everything which Darth Plagueis references before reading Darth Plagueis so you can catch the references?

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Frankly, Plagueis is best enjoyed if you've read, say, 90% of the EU. It can still be an enjoyable read, but yeah, it's so chock full of references that it's best appreciated read after everything else.

But if you don't want to wait to experience 90% of the EU, then Plagueis can be saved for after Cloak of Deception, Shadow Hunter, Saboteur, Jedi Council: Acts of War, Republic: Bloodlines, and Maul: Lockdown. Or just after every prequel story (barring most of TCW).

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    I think I'm at about 40-50% of the EU, but in deciding where I want to go next following NJO, I'm realizing that just about everything I've read is post-ROTJ. So I'll read the books on that list before circling back to DP.

Thanks.

12. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Others are mentioning that it's helpful to have read a certain percentage of EU to better appreciate Darth Plagueis, however I've been very behind in keeping up with EU, and DP is the first novel I've read that is prequel-based. I have kept an eye on things, so I recognized that certain references were to a specific book or comic, and DP put various incidents into the context of a larger framework. It was like when I read through the post-RotJ sections of The Essential Chronology, to get the overview; then I was "zooming in" on the incidents covered by X-Wing stuff later on by reading the X-wing books and comics. Took a couple of notes while reading Plagueis, and that book got me more interested in "zooming in" on Shadow Hunter, Cloak of Deception, The Darth Bane trilogy, and Labyrinth of Evil. Now the challenge is deciding which one to read next!

13. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    97 pages? Wow… Well, I am not going to read every single one of them to find the anwer to my question, so I am just going to go ahead and ask:

I've never read a single EU book. If I wanted to read just one, which one would you guys recommend?

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Once again it depends what you're seeking.

15. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Cushing's Admirer Well, I have no patience whatsoever and Episode VII won't be released until 2015, that's a long time for someone who has no patience. So I just thought I'd give the EU a try. I don't know where to start, because there are too many books to choose from. So I just want a book that's fun and that'll get me hooked on the EU.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Heir to the Empire is one of the most common points at which to "jump in".

17. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014

Cool. Thanks. Would you recommend Shadows of the Empire?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd say it's a pretty average book - not exceptionally good or bad. I'd recommend it, at least - primarily because it fills in the gap between TESB and ROTJ. Still, it has a few amusing moments in its own right, as well.

19. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Regardless, you should really start with the Zahn Trilogy, then go from there.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Shadows isn't bad, and the advantage is you'd be familiar with most of the main characters. I personally didn't care for the Zahn books - I think his style put me off.

21. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'd say either Cloak of Deception of Labyrinth of Evil. They're both lead in books, so they add a lot to the movies. Although, the Thrown Trilogy is really good to. before the ST was announced, I would have called them an unofficial episodes 7-9. They are a great continuation of the OT.

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Many here act like The Thrawn Trilogy and Zahn are the peak of EU. I am not of this view. Like LAJ_FETT his style put me off. Ambush At Coreillia.

23. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think it's because his books often have the same tone as the movies. The majority feel very Star Warsy. He understands the universe and his first books added a lot to the universe. I think we could say they formed the basis for the EU. But I agree that he's not the pinnacle of EU authors. Luceno and Stover are far better. Also, I'd rate some of the one shot authors, such as Stewart, above him.

pronker likes this.
  24. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    What's the origin of D'vouran?

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004