main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi I wanna role play

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by JaMojo, Feb 24, 2014.

1. JaMojo

JaMojo Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 24, 2014
    Hey, I'm looking to start my own SW RP Campaign with some of my friends who have moved all over the place (hence why we have to do it online). Forums are definitely the way to go for me. This looks like the best place I've found.

Just though I'd introduce myself and see what kind of response I'd get.

A few things about me:

My favorite color is invisibility.
    My favorite SW character is Revan.
    And, my favorite speed and accuracy rating is Plot.

2. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    welcome good sir

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome JaMojo! :)

So your friends are signing up here as well? That's pretty cool. Just a little advice to avoid trouble: Before you go straight ahead and opening your own rpg gaming thread, it's helpful to lurk a bit at other threads and/or join existing gaming threads. This way you get a feeling for the way it works here. Or, if you can't wait, send a private message to one of the rpg mods. They will help you as well.

Where are your friends from? All the same area like north-east of USA or even the same state? Or really moved across over the whole country? Or am I even at the wrong country? :confused:

Have fun! :D

4. JaMojo

Feb 24, 2014
    I don't plan on starting my campaign for at least a month or two, honestly. I'm just trying to figure out where I'm gonna do it so that I can let them know. I actually don't have my players yet, I started asking yesterday. I'll definitely lurk around the other threads, although I have done a small amount of forum role play before. I've read most of the related stickies already. Thanks for the advice, though.

My friends are mostly in the midwest. Most of them are from college, a few from other places, but which ones will be joining I'm not sure yet.

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Welcome, JaMojo!

If you are interested in joining a role-playing game, you might consider checking out the Senate thread in the SWC forum.
    People are allowed to become Senator and represent their own planet. Maybe that would be something for you?
    Momentarily, I am Chancellor. So, if you have any questions, shoot!

The link to the thread can be found in my signature.

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    You have indeed found a great place, we have a thriving Role Playing Forum, which allows all kinds of play. The community in the RPF is very welcoming, and always eager to help in any capacity.

If you are looking for a place to tell an epic story, the Role Playing Forum is where it's at.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Welcome there is a role playing board here.

8. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Welcome to the boards! I'm in the process of learning how to traverse the area of RPF myself :)

9. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Hi and welcome JaMojo.

10. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey newcomers, welcome! I spend most of my time here on the RPF so I'll provide you with a few helpful links here:

Firstly, you'll find the moderator thread meant to introduce new players to the workings of the Role Playing section of the boards here. Secondly, you can find the new GM (Game Master) thread here.

This is where you'll find the role playing thread list itself. Here you'll find the role playing resource thread, please be sure to read the rules on OOC (out of character) threads. Keep in mind that most Library threads are only for GM posting and user reference.

Don't forget to introduce yourself at Hooper McFinney's Bar & Grille. Bring plenty of lens flare. :cool:

JaMojo I know you've already made it to the RP section, so any other newcomers please find this little explanation helpful, if you're interested in Role Playing. [face_dancing]

Skiara and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  11. JaMojo

Feb 24, 2014
    Thanks Heavy Isotope! I like this community so far, you've all been very helpful.

I really hope another company takes up the Star Wars Roleplaying sytem when the new movies star coming out. It's really gone down since Wizards quit supporting it. I know a lot of people are into free role play, but I always prefer a predefined system. I've always found that without it, combat is so boring because you just arbitrarily (or it seems to me) decide whether you actually hit someone or not, there's no basis whether you win or not. I was reading a thread about how a non force user could beat a force user and people were saying, "Just role play through it and win" (ok, that's not an actual quote, but it was the idea of what they were saying) and I was thinking, if you actually had a system you were using, you could actually have a fair fight, not just a battle of who can write better.

Sorry for the rant, just my 2 cents, maybe I should post is somewhere else and get a discussion going.

12. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    I find you're correct, it is difficult to conclude character based conflicts during an RPG. I suppose a chance system is more fair but if one character is clearly better than the other (i.e. a Sith Lord v Smuggler or Padawan v Imperial Commando) then I think that the point gets too complex and will result in dissatisfaction for story telling if you leave it to chance.

If you'd like to create a discussion thread based on this topic the Role Playing Resource section is your best bet, I'm sure there's a few RPers who would be able to present better arguments about this than myself. :p I'd at least like to lurk said thread. Haha

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If you're interested role playing, then swing by the Role Playing Forum and check things out and say hello to folks. :)

14. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I know they had that problem with the doctor who an adventure in time and space RPG and there is a solution to it.

15. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I can just second what Penguinator said! Go ahead and post in the roleplaying boards. :D

Oh, and link me, if you find a thread about your topic above, please. It's an interesting one. :)