main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MINIS [Fantasy Flight Games] Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. ac4155

ac4155 Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    With how well this game has been selling, I'm surprised it doesn't have a stronger following on this forum. This Star Wars forum must just not have as strong a miniatures game following.

Anyway, been meaning to pick up this game for a while, finally got the starter game box set yesterday from my local game store after getting back from Uni. Looking forward to playing it.

Wave 3 looks good, though I hope they can get production of Waves 1 & 2 sorted out. I'm still a little behind on my ship purchasing...

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I got to play this a couple of weeks ago (just the starter set). I liked it, but would like to have more miniatures in play next time (we should be feasible considering how many of my gaming group have purchased it).

On a related note, numerous play mats have been popping up on BoardGameGeek to play on, including a Death Star version:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/88729/death-star-play-mat-v2

3. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Tried this for the first time. It was a lot of fun (mostly because I got to play as Maarek Stele on our Imperial team) but I don't have the discretionary funds available at the moment to pick up and grow a collection of my own.

4. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Oops, I picked up two starter sets anyway.

Draconarius, MarcusP2 and Jedi_Dajuan like this.
  5. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I think I've gotten enough Rebel ships for my tastes (3 x-wings and the Falcon.)

Any advice for putting together an Imperial list? Are 2 TIE Advanced ever really worth it, or is it generally better to just have 1 for Vader, and then go with squints/eyeballs?

6. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Just got the starter box. Pretty fun so far!

7. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I own it...but have yet to play it. The group in portland, OR i've found plays while i'm at work :/ Well, if there happen to be any portland folks reading this, PM me, ha.

8. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    it's ridiculous the base set retails for $39.99 (i got it on sale for $27.99) the falcon alone is $29.99 more then i payed for the entire base set. the regular expansions ships are $14.99 which is just as ridiculus. another guy said the miniatures booster was 14 pounds or euros and the booster and the ship alone is 10 pounds/euros while in the booster was the same exact price as the 1 ship, so you get 1 ship for the price of 7 miniatures, not to mention when the miniatures game was going out of business they were clearancing the booster's at target, originally it went from 14.99 to 7.99 then it went to 3.99 per booster i picked up like 9 of them for 4 bucks and 2 for 8 bucks.

9. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    This is a totally different beast to the Wizards game, my friend. The product is of much higher quality (in a number of ways, not just the sculpts), for one thing. Second, one ship is a big deal in this game; ten ships on the table at once would mean you're in for a fairly prolonged slugfest, while with the old minis anything less than 20 would be over in no time.

Anyway, I got introduced by a friend a few weeks ago, and I'm loving the game so far. My fleet has turned out a bit lopsided though. I've got 2 X-wings and 2 A-wings on one side, with 2 Fighters, 2 Interceptors, an Advanced and Slave I on the other. I'd really like to get my hands on a Y-wing or two, but they've turned out to be darn near impossible to find.

10. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Currently at 3 X-Wings, 1 A-Wing, 1 YT-1300 on the Rebel side, 5 TIE Fighters and 2 Interceptors on the glorious Empire team. Planning on picking up a Lambda and B-Wing from Wave 3, then grab a TIE Advanced at some point too.

The upcoming larger ships are really neat looking, but will definitely be out of my price range.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Money and people to play with are basically the only things keeping me out of this, same with Edge of the Empire and the rest of the FFG Star Wars RPG.

12. Labria_uk

Labria_uk Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2000
    A friend of mine in work recommanded it, I've played 2 games against myself with just the core set and I really like it. So far got 2 Core Sets (4x Tie Fighter & 2x X-Wing) Tie Bomber, Millienium Falcon & Slave 1, need to get more of the smaller ships and finding out when a local games shop plays it.

13. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I love this game, and the announcement about Wave 4 has me walking on air - except for the Phantom TIE. But then, I love the idea of the HWK, while actually thinking it was a dumb choice and execution (it's half as big as it should be, at least according to the measurements I dug up).

I have one core set (1 X-Wing and 2 TIE/Ln), and several expansions - X-Wing (because WEDGE!), A-Wing (because TYCHO! also A-Wings rock), B-Wing (kinda wish Ten Numb wasn't the heavy), TIE Interceptor (because Fel! And Phennir!), TIE Bomber (because I wanted to see what it's like against a B-Wing - answer: it murders), and the TIE Avenger (because my friend wanted Darth Vader, and I wanted him to play with me and say, "I have you now" at appropriate moments). I'm hoping to get the Rebel Transport (because Janson and Hobbie! And maybe cool anti-capship scenarios!), the E-Wing (to counter the Defender), the TIE Defender (the most Mary Suest of all Mary Sues in starfighter form), and the Headhunter.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Going by the Talk page for it on Wookieepedia - those measurements were grossly oversized anyway - maybe the modellers finally brought it "back to the correct size".

I found Echo, the Phantom pilot, really fun to play, with his curved barrel rolls.

15. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I didn't even know we had a thread for this. I've just been chatting about it in the FFG thread in lit.

I started picking this up in bits and pieces about 6 months ago. Now up to at least two of all released fighters (except the phantom which hasn't come in to my shop yet) and one each of the capitol ships.

Haven't gotten to play it too much yet sadly, but a truly awesome game.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It is rather. Can't find the Imperial Aces set anywhere though.

17. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I've seen the Aces set at my local gaming shop - they just had a tournament, so they stocked it all up.

I have to say, I really hate the Tie Phantom. Not only because the game it's from is very silly, but because I hate the way I seem to lose ships round after round to just that ship.

18. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    I think the Phantoms will take some getting used to, both with and against, but it will ultimately suffer the same problem as most things Imperial: one bad roll of those green dice and you explode rather spectacularly.

Ender Sai and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    While I haven't bought the Corvette (yet) I thought the name Jaina's Light was a good nod to the short story Routine from Star Wars Tales.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    One thing I've noticed - the Rebels seem to lack a true bomber (something that can take bomb cards) of their own. Maybe some upcoming ship will have them? The K-Wing would be a good bomber counterpart to the E-wing fighter.

21. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I am really, really looking forward to the Decimator. I know I'm going to be flying Mara Jade on it (I still wish she were the level 8 Z-95 pilot, but am glad she's here now), but I don't know which of the actual pilots I want to run. There's the awesome rammer, but also the higher level pilots have some pretty amazing skills.

22. ac4155

ac4155 Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    I see FFG have announced wave 6, at least to Gamescon attendees.

A new faction, with all ships focused on bringing them up to line. The blurred photos looked interesting, can't wait to actually see the official announcement and photos.

23. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Iron_lord likes this.
  24. CloneTrooper9000

CloneTrooper9000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I cannot wait for the Scum and Villainy faction! I've been mostly playing Empire up to this point, but when Scum and Villainy hits that'll definitely be my go to faction!

25. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    A good friend of mine bought me the core set as a Christmas present and my brother in-law bought me two additional ships. I also picked up the Falcon and Slave I when I saw they were in stock at BN a few days ago. The fleet is growing rapidly! Convinced my wife to play one evening and wow, this is a really great game. We used the really straightforward starter rules for the core set, so still a ton to learn and explore. I think my biggest challenge is going to be finding folks to play with.