main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Official Live Action Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Breaking Thrones? Game of Bad?

Children of the Dune Sea?

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
  3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yes, and I've been arguing the same premise, too (only for a Boba Fett film, set post-ROTJ), since the first rumors of Disney-helmed stand-alones surfaced in 2012. As you noted, a power-vacuum will naturally have occurred since the death of Jabba and the events at Endor, and I know that a good many of us have thought about seeing those stories put on the screen.

Rather than a movie centered on Boba just collecting bounties sometime between III and IV, or IV and VI, I think the more intriguing story for Fett could begin with his escape from the Sarlacc, and being thrown into a galaxy much changed. As a fan of Boba's, I'd love to see that struggle for power, with Fett emerging as the new underground kingpin.

Six likes this.
  4. master joda

master joda Jedi Padawan

Oct 24, 2013
    yeah, I saw your post right after I replied.

5. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    That sounds good and all, but I want Boba to be one of many viewpoints, rather than him being the central protagonist. Kind of like how GoT has the Starks, the Lannisters, the Baratheons, the Tyrells, etc.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I've been thinking, I wonder how different the future of Star Wars would be if this show ever got off the ground?

If it did happen (and didn't get canceled for budgetary reasons) then I doubt Lucas would have even wound up selling his company to Disney (meaning that we wouldn't have a Sequel Trilogy, spin-off films, or Rebels on the horizon). Instead, The Clone Wars would probably be winding down (on it's own, without being canceled) this year or the next and potentially setting up another animated series set at a different point in the timeline. We would have already seen Attack of the Clones and maybe Revenge of the Sith in 3D. And this show would have been underway for a few seasons with Lucas' direct involvement, filling in the gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. I would have loved to have seen this show brought to life, but with Rebels now being made and set in the same era it seems unlikely that Disney would go back to these old scripts and have two shows running concurrently set in the same time period, even if they are tonally and stylistically very different.

Interesting thinking about how things could have been.

7. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Indeed, it is.

As far as the scripts for Star Wars: Underworld, I suppose there's the chance that some could be reworked for use in Rebels (and incidentally, I've wondered if some of the proposed storylines for Boba Fett in 1313 will show up in the new series, too).

We know that Paul Lee (ABC) has admitted interest in a live action SW endeavor, and there has been talk of perhaps revisiting (and even revising) the Underworld concept. Who knows, if Disney/Lucasfilm feel that Rebels addresses the 'Dark Times' well enough, and would rather have a live action series focus on a different time period, maybe some of those 50 hours worth of unused scripts can be adjusted enough to be adapted for a future project on ABC (whether set post-ROTJ, TOR, or what have you)?

I know if it were my call, I'd at least look into trying to get something out of those scripts (whether they be used for their original purpose, or adapted into films, animated shows, an adjusted live action series, novels, comics, video games, etc. Something).

8. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    They should just turn the series into Quantum Leap: Star Wars.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Star Wars:1313 was supposed to lay the foundation for the live-action series. But, alas, the game was scrapped (which was annoying because the trailer was awesome)

10. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    The hypocrisy of Big Hollywood: Disney has abandoned the 1313 trademark, indicating they're not intending to make it. But if some bunch of techies got frustrated with this and said "You know what, **** you! We're gonna run a kickstarter fundraiser and make 1313 ourselves!" you know Disney would hammer them with an infringement lawsuit quicker than you could say thirteen-thirteen.

CuppaJoe and purplerain like this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Lucas should rekindle the Underworld concept as a non-Star Wars project. I'd much rather see "Deadwood in space" than Rebels or Episode VII.

12. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    If they give us unknownish actors for the children in the ST, they could star in a series that takes place before/between/after the ST. Would be an interesting kind of Dark Tower situation.

13. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I only recently found out about it (from the Star Wars wiki), but in the past I've advocated an idea for a series that turned out to pretty much be a description of the Unification Wars. With the EU, as far as I can tell, hardly even touching the conflict/era.

Such a show would be at the top of my list, whether it be live action or animated.

And for those that keep clamoring for a Game of Thrones kind of show, it seems like a more optimum time period. Since instead of CIS vs. Republic, Sith Empire vs. Republic, or Rebellion vs. Empire (the Galaxy seems like it always splits neatly in two), it would be about a confederation of systems forming, bringing other systems into their ranks, defending themselves from foreign entities like the remnants of the Rakatan Empire or Hutt systems, and ultimately ending with the signing of the Republic Constitution.

Interest in The Clone Wars really spawned out of a random conflict that Obi-Wan mentions in ANH, with people like Filoni mentioning that it really sparked their imagination and they wanted to know more about it. But all throughout the movies we hear about the Republic and how great the Republic is, and how there hadn't been a full scale war since it's formation (or reformation, as I understand it) and in the prequels all we see of it is corruption and squabbling.

I would be interested in seeing a show that has more than two sides in the conflict, takes familiar elements but portrays them in radically different ways (e.g. the Hutts might still be hedonists, but instead of running a criminal Empire under the authority of another state, they actually have an Empire and army of their own), and also seeing why the Republic was so great; getting the chance to see what led up to its formation, made it necessary, and actually seeing it in a positive light.

It would also make the galaxy smaller in the sense that the human core worlds might begin to branch out and encounter another species that is familiar from the PT or OT, like the Gran. But instead of being amicable compatriots within the Republic as they are in the PT, they might be xenophobic and untrusting of each other. Again, taking the familiar, but portraying it in a radically different way.

14. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    As much as I'd like that, Lucas is still probably in the same predicament as before with no way to keep up with the money per episode that the project demands. And for all we know, the scripts could have been included in the Disney sale.

Disney, with all of their infinite resources, should have made this show their immediate priority before running in head first with their "a movie every year!" business.

15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Oh, I think you're right and that it's almost a certainty that the scripts (along with all of the concept art and anything else that Lucasfilm had produced for the show) went along with Lucasfilm in the sale. I cannot imagine why they would not have.

If Lucasfilm/Disney envisioned Episodes 7, 8 and 9 as something that they were ever going to consider, then I'm strongly in favor of producing them now, while Mark, Carrie, Harrison, Billy Dee, Tony, Frank and Peter (if he can), are still here with us and able to appear. Personally, the idea of the ST finally happening has me more excited than any Lucasfilm project since 1983 (and I very much enjoyed the PT, CW, TCW, etc.).

But that said, I definitely share in your enthusiasm over the Underworld concept. In fact, as much as I'm looking forward to Rebels, I'd much sooner have had the LAS be the series set in the Episode III-IV Imperial Period that we were getting. For one, I tend to favor live action over animated SW, and the reputed tone, characters and setting of Underworld just appeal more to me than what we know about Rebels so far.

Still, Disney has said they're interested in exploring more SW on television...

16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think Underworld will be used to establish more canon pre-Rebels.
    Disney is keen to build a single canon and wishing to add more to the OT lore timeline; as previous members have said, the live-action will happen. But probably not till after the ST.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I just want to see Star Wars take risks with new stuff.

When Mass Effect came out, I was completely disinterested in it. Had it been a Star Trek game or a Star Wars game, I would have pounced on it. But it was this sci-fi game that I, at the time, wished had been a KOTOR game, and I was not at all interested in playing this game in an unfamiliar setting.

Fast forward to now, and I've played all three games and find them to be some of the best games I've ever played with an overall good story.

And I went through the same kind of thing with KOTOR itself. I was more interested in SWG and a game that took place in the familiar OT era. I was more disappointed than anything when I saw some game that was going to take place thousands of years before the films, making returning characters impossible. And in the end, SWG turned into a disappointment and KOTOR is one of my favorite SW games.

Yeah, there's always that inclination to want to stay in my comfort zone and continue on with eras, characters, etc. that I'm familiar with. But in both cases, I had to eventually just make a leap into a new era or even franchise, and I ended up loving them in their own right.

So, I understand that people want to endlessly stick with the PT and/or OT eras, but I wish LFL would take greater risks with the future spinoff films and TV shows and dive into time periods and characters far removed from the events of the films. Depending on what gets decided with the EU, this could either re-write the Star Wars history, fill gaps in it, or adapt existing stories to film and/or television.

But IMO, when someone looks at something like Guardians of the Galaxy and asks "could this be the next Star Wars?" I can't help but laugh. Because to me, what makes Star Wars so unique is the the scope of the universe, including the EU. And even though I never read the EU as a kid, Star Wars just stirred my imagination in a way that made me WANT to know more about the stories of even the most minor characters, even if I didn't read what stories they had.

Lord of the Rings doesn't do that for me. I don't care about the characters in the background and the Council of Elrond. I have no interest in who that Dwarf is or who that Elf is that we never see again, nor care what their backstory is. Star Wars generates that interest, which is why there are markets for things like Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina or Tales of the Bounty Hunters. And that's something I doubt Guardians of the Galaxy will have - not saying it won't necessarily be good, it just won't be "Star Wars."

And where I'm going with this is merely to say that Star Wars provokes the imagination for stories of background characters, and histories far removed from the events of the films. And I don't think LFL is really playing to that strength when everything needs to be connected to Anakin Skywalker and Palpatine's Empire in some way, when it comes to TV and film.

Show me the future or past, with different antagonists and protagonists over giving me more of the Rebels vs. the Empire or Separatists vs. Republic. Show me something else other than the rise and fall of the Empire, or the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. Episode VII will probably be a big move in the right direction, but knowing nothing of the plot, I cannot say.

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
  19. Weechee

Weechee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 12, 2013
    also hear it features Powerman and Iron Fist but they can not use Spiderman and certain villians because of Sony having that license still

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I really depends on when/where the setting for such a show is. I mean, the Netflix Marvel shows - aside from Daredevil - seem to be dealing with C-list characters as best. Agents of Shield gets around most of the heavy CGI by focusing on non-Superheroes. And Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist do not really require heavy CG as characters like Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, etc. So, I'd expect something more akin to Arrow with these properties, which is more difficult to pull off in a universe where traveling among a bunch of different planets is common place (and exotic planets, not where everyone looks not so different from Earth), with large fleets of ships, vehicles, and filled with droids.

Marvel's live action endeavors outside of the films seem quite a bit more modest. I don't know how things would look/turn out, if Marvel made a live action Iron Man show. But these heroes also exist in the "real world," in locations like New York. They don't really require expensive sets to sell the idea of taking place in a galaxy far, far away.

I would think that a Live Action Star Wars show would similarly be a much more modest endeavor than the film counterparts, not focusing on Jedi, or large space battles. Which is why a show set in the Coruscant Underworld seemed more reasonable, while leaving grand space adventures and massive battles to the animated SW universe and the films.

I mean, they could do something like a miniseries dealing with the ancient Sith like Naga Sadow, and setting it principally on a planet or two (e.g. Korriban), and - like Arrow - making use of the physical prowess of the actors, and avoiding CG as much as possible, relying more on choreographed acrobatic lightsaber fights (but they didn't even use lightsabers in that era, iirc, they had blades).

I think there are certain stories that rather quickly come off the table when it comes to dealing with a L.A. Star Wars show, and given the grand scope of things like TCW and the films, I'm actually far less intrigued by the prospects of a Live Action film, just because I expect there to be a heavy dose of compromises made regarding what can be done/shown.

An Underworld/Criminal Empire show could work, and I'd be content with that. But I think animated shows are a safer arena for something as tech heavy as Star Wars. I'm content enough at the prospect of a Live Action Star Wars film every year/every other year.

21. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Live action would also be a good vehicle for taking certain characters originally introduced in a kid-friendly animated show and previously having a more light and airy storyline, and steering their arc in a gritty grimdark direction.

22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I would say animation is the safe bet if only there could be an adult action cartoon/animated series. Unfortunately I don't think anyone would watch it seriously since so many people have this stupid notion animation is either for kids or fart jokes. I had a conversation with a friend about this once, about if Walking Dead were an animated series would it still be as popular and successful? We'll need live action for a really dark and mature Star Wars show to be watched. Live action would inevitably would require many compromises.

23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think Live Action would inherently appeal to a wider audience because of the animation-is-for-kids stereotype. But I don't think it's going to lead to anything more "grimdark" or along the lines of Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead. I would assume that it would still try to capture the campy adventure of the films, only with a sacrifice in quality.

I think a mature Star Wars would be a really tough sell outside of maybe the novels and comics.

"Hey parents. You've taken your kids to see all of the Star Wars films, you've watched the TV shows, and it's all been one, big family-friendly adventure! But keep your kids home this time, or get ready to monitor what they are watching on Television, because this next show is for mature audiences only!"

I mean, Marvel has had ultra violent and dark comic lines. Even the current Thunderbolts series has people getting their heads blown off, or stabbed in the face, having their throats slits, etc. And having it be shown. I think such a series would be hard pressed to find a home in television or on film. I think Ryan Reynolds has said that it's been the biggest road block for the Deadpool film he's wanted to get off the ground.

There are shades of darkness in Star Wars, but I think overall it will remain the same kind of light hearted adventure that it has always been, with moments of AOTC or ROTS style severity, but never having that be the norm when it comes to TV series.

Plus I just think that making something kid friendly that can also be enjoyed by the parents and people of all ages will make a Star Wars show more profitable than marketing to adults. I'm sure there's a lot of money they'd be missing out on toys, clothes, and other merchandise that they would lose.

Zer0 likes this.
  24. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Walking Dead is just meant as one example of how the stereotype would work. How do you think it would go over if Agents of Shield were an animated series? Unfortunately I think because of the stereotype any cartoon that is not a prime time comedy is going to be very hard to sell even with the best Star Wars universal writing to adults as well as kids. We get people who come into this forum section from time to time who admit they dismissed TCW just because its a 'cartoon' not so much because TCW does tend to fail at universal writing. Ofcourse Disney could release animated movies and mini series all day on Netflix but I don't think that's worth while as a TV show with a little longevity on ABC.

Still I would love to see someone try a good prime time action cartoon be it for families or something much more dark and mature.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As long as kids can handle ROTS, they should be able to watch any other SW content. So I don't understand wanting a series that is truly too dark, gritty, or violent for kids. That would make it not really feel like SW, and for no good reason. SW as it is can appeal to everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.