main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Ultimately it's about twins"...?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HugoWanKenobi, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    o_O

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe, but that's the danger of a third trilogy in general isn't it? Star Wars is all about repetition of themes and situations with different outcomes, so as long as it's done a little bit differently and manages to bring some unexpected elements to that story then I definitely think it could easily work and feel intrinsically like a part of the saga. In fact, it's hard to imagine a scenario for the third trilogy that wouldn't involve a main character at least coming close to the Dark Side. Having twins allows for what in retrospect is kind of a missed opportunity of the OT, which is dual protagonists choosing different paths under the Skywalker/Vader legacy. Basically we'd get the first 6 films condensed into one trilogy, albeit with some twists of course, which somehow feels appropriate for the final act to me.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    In addition to being a rehash, another SkySolo going dark side would undermine Anakin's redemption. Third, I hate the idea of a "cursed" familiy.

4. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm very doubtful about this whole thing. It doesn't seem legitimate to me, but then again I know nothing.

purplerain likes this.
  5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Hi Socrates. ;)

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    This is an issue we can totally agree on.

Falling to the darkside as a main plot is a tired formula, imo. If it's just a minor element of the story, I'll be ok with it.

One reason I can imagine them doing this though is if they feel they can do a better job than Anakin's fall in the PT, which was pretty incoherent imo.

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    This brings me to something else I don't want to see: an ST that's a rebooted PT in all but name.

8. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It could happen!

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    [face_nail_biting]

Ryus and Dra--- like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

How's that? Is Anakin's redemption supposed to stop people from turning to the dark side for all time? That's extremely far fetched. His redemption was a personal achievement and he's not responsible for all his descendant's actions.

11. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I agree with this.

Maybe PR means that it undermines the power of Anakin's redemption if we have yet another plot about redemption?

That's my problem with it.

12. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    The only thing I know. :)

Echo Base, Dra--- and purplerain like this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    How can a main character falling to the Dark Side be a minor element in the story? If they go that route, it seems like it would have to be pretty major. And I don't see how it's a tired formula since it's only happened once in the saga so far, so there's still room for it to be done differently. I mean so far the main thrust of the saga has been about a father and son following parallel journeys where one falls to the Dark Side and the other almost does but redeems the father instead. I'm a firm believer in the idea of repeating motifs in the saga and this one happens to be the most central motif of the overall story, so I just can't see it not being explored further. Having two characters follow their parallel journeys at the same time would be an interesting take on it IMO.

StoneRiver and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Someone tries to seduce them. They fail. In other words, they don't fall to the darkside at all. It would be more of a temptation story. Another example might be something like Dooku. He's a fallen Jedi but we don't see the fall.

Or the character doesn't fall, or isn't seduced, but just chooses the darkside. Maybe they're evil, or have good reasons for choosing, and no one needs to seduce them. That way, we don't have to watch another fall or another redemption.

Well, it was the main plot of the most recent trilogy. That makes it tired because we've just seen it. And we had the Luke being seduced plot in ESB and ROTJ. Yep, we've seen this in four of the six films thus far.

Even worse, most Star Wars fans know something like this has already happened in the EU, which makes it feel really lazy. GL's great idea is to adapt the EU? No thanks.

It could be if the journeys are different from what we've seen. But if it's just Luke and Anakin repacked into a new trilogy together, that will feel really lazy and unoriginal (to me).

Bullhead CIty and purplerain like this.
  15. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I thought Lucas kept secret that he was writing the overall story outline for a new trilogy (not scripts, just the arch)

Did he start as early as 2009??

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

[​IMG]

17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Dra--- I get where you're coming from. I guess I just have faith that if they're working from Lucas's story then he will have found a fresh take on it. I agree that a direct repackaging of Anakin's and Luke's stories would be lazy, but elements of both of them resurfacing in the ST is totally cool with me and perhaps even necessary for the overall congruity of the saga. And even if the stories of each were similar, at least one thing that would set it apart from the other trilogies is the notion of two siblings being tempted at the same time and making different choices, which puts them in contention with each other. It has echoes of both other trilogies with the Obi-Wan/Anakin and Luke/Vader dynamics, but it's still a different situation and allows for a more direct examination of their choices when juxtaposed with each others within the same set of movies as opposed to spread out over two trilogies. I know that what I'm suggesting does have the potential to seem like too much of a rehash, but a certain amount of rehashing is pretty much necessary in this series, and I do think it could be done in a way that provides some new and interesting character dynamics, not to mention a different outcome.

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    You know, the twin story sounds way too obvious. I mean, if that rumor were true, I'd have to ask myself if that's the best they could come up with. Like, really? Another story involving a Skywalker that's good and another one that's evil? I mean, I'm just another fan and my opinion doesn't count, at all. But been there, done that. We had Anakin, who joined the Dark Side and Luke who chose the path his father did not. No more, please. Give us something radically new. Please. Does anyone really wanna see yet another movie involving members of the Skywalker fan having to choose between good and evil? I hope the people behind Episode VII do much better than that. Like I said, give us something new, something that'll blow our minds. I guess Episodes X, XI and XII could be about… hm… let's see… I don't know… hm… I got it: Luke's grandchildren. The Force is strong with them and they have to choose between good and evil! One is good and the other is bad! Yes!

[​IMG]

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If the Balance of the Force is maintained by Anakin's twin children each spawning a line, each aligned to opposite sides of the Force, then that's rather interesting.

20. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
  21. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Prequel bashers infect every single thread on this forum.

JediGirl_Angelina and mes520 like this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    That wasn't prequal bashing but wanting the ST to be its own unique thing (no one wants the ST to be a OT carbon copy either, even if they prefer the way it was told or the effects/lack of cgi... the saga must progress not stagnate). PT was specified since many EU stories where a rebooted PT in all but name (looking at you Legacy of the Force) and because the ST follows the OT and as such should be closer to it since its plot follows its aftermath.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    I want the ST to be its own unique thing, but have the feel of the OT. Sue me. [face_laugh]

24. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Imagine if there are twins and one is perceived as "good and pure" while the other is shown as being "dark and angry" in nature. On the way to doing something out of revenge or rage, the dark/angry one is stopped by the good/pure one. However, the good/pure one thinks they killed the dark/angry one, causing the good/pure one to end up following a path of darkness while the dark/angry one, being brought to a place of healing, ends up down the path of light.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm all for the saga turning into one sordid dime store seedy novel.

Star Wars Episode VII: Flowers In The Airlock

jedinightwing, BigAl6ft6 and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.