main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Qui-Gon Jinn and the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    There has been a little bit of scattered speculation about the possibility of Qui-Gon having some kind of role in the sequel trilogy so I thought I would create a dedicated thread for him (mods, please feel free to close if you think it is unnecessary.)

Do we think Qui-Gon will appear in a cameo role? Would Liam Neeson be likely to accept a role (I understand he turned down the opportunity in ROTS).

Personally, I'd like to see Qui-Gon appear again as a way of tying together the trilogies. There is much ambiguity about this character: was he simply naive in having so much faith in Anakin or was he vindicated in the end by the fact that the character really did bring balance to the force? Would he have really joined the separatists like Dooku claimed? Was he less arrogant/corrupt than the other Jedi or just as bad in his own way by refusing to obey the Council or was it that he was the only one who could see clearly? Now that Anakin is dead, will they be reunited in the realm of the Force Ghosts and play some further role in the guiding the fate of the galaxy?

Also, as I posted elsewhere on here some time ago, "Wouldn't it turn things on their head if Qui Gon was in contact with Plagueis and one learnt about immortality from the other?" :D

whostheBossk, Maul95, Ryus and 5 others like this.
  2. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope he's in it in some fashion, and given the fact that Neeson did it for The Clone Wars, I certainly think he'd be open to Episode VII.

3. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it would be great to see Qui-Gon again. If not the Sequel Trilogy then one of the spin off movies.

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'd love it if Luke meets Qui-Gon. It would be interesting to see how their views match or differ.

whostheBossk, TheFoot, Cevan and 7 others like this.
  5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I like Qui-Gon, but I don't see why we'd need him in the ST. What can he give us in that period that Yoda, Obi-Wan, or Anakin as ghosts can't?

6. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Neeson is far more popular than Hayden.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I would love to see Qui-Gon in the ST, although I can't think of a good use for him unless they go all out with the exploration of Force Ghosts. Chances are if he was in Arndt's script, JJ wrote him out as per the rumors of him chopping ghosts. Although maybe after the TCW lost missions we'll have more reasons to hope for his return.

TheFoot, InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  8. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing him, but I think it would be difficult to work him in when the story is primarily about characters who have never met him.

9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    If they make story decisions purely on actor popularity, then Qui-Gon has a shot. But if they focus purely on narrative reasons, then why not just have Yoda or Obi-Wan be the go to Ghosts? They're popular enough.

Boy, this franchise has a real problem if it's biggest character -- Anakin -- can't be used because of dislike for the actor.

10. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Which would be a ridiculous reason to not bring him back, if it can push the story forward. Hopefully JJ and co. don't take this route...

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've read that he didn't turn down the role in ROTS so much as he wasn't exactly able because he had broken his leg around possible filming opportunities.

Regardless, I'd love to see Qui-Gon's ghost in the ST somewhere, being the re-discoverer of the power. Also Anakin's ghost, though I wouldn't be fond of Obi-Wan, you know, cause Alec Guiness is kinda dead. I'm a maybe on Yoda

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think there's a myriad of ways they could effectively use Qui-Gon in the ST. If we strip it back to the narrative facts, Qui-Gon is (allegedly) the first Jedi to be able to retain his identity after death. Also Qui-Gon, in death, becomes Master to both Yoda and Obi-Wan... therefore it's not a stretch to think we may see him communing with the other remaining force ghosts in the ST. As other posters have said, it's all about what level of prominance/importance they could place upon him when they have other more popular charcaters at hand.

13. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Greater unity of structure. If he appeared in 9, he would bookend the saga. Also, as I said in the first post, certain ambiguities about his character and motives could be explored.

14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I can't believe that QGJ wouldn't work appearing to our new heroes just because they don't know him.

That line of thought is pretty limiting; OWK could only ever appear to Luke, unable to help anyone else. Yoda could only ever appear to Luke, unable to help anyone else. Anakin (Hayden) should never have been able to appear to Luke.

There is no logical storytelling reason why any ghost could not appear to any character IMO, and I'd love to see QGJ (and OWK and Yoda and Anakin) helping our new heroes. Done correctly and with respect obviously. :)

15. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Now, that's the idea I like very much. Great character, in many ways so similar to Luke, first who discovered how to retain your identity in the Force after death, the actor is still there, dedicated to the franchise. The ST could benefit from his character.
    In small dosage, of course.
    [​IMG]

Episode Swag, Immortiss and Echo Base like this.
  16. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe.

Or:

Luke: Who are you?
    Qui-Gon: I am Qui-Gon Jinn.
    Luke: Who?
    Qui-Gon: Yoda was my master, as he was yours. Obi-Wan was my apprentice.
    Luke: Cool. Where are they?
    Qui-Gon: (Waves hand) Do not ask me where Yoda's at. Obi-Wan's too youthful to appear.
    Luke: What about my father? He never visits.
    Qui-Gon: He's planning on it. But first he must complete an important task. He must repair his image on social media.
    Luke: Why are you here then?
    Qui-Gon: I have training for you. I have learned how to retain my identity after death. I--
    Luke: Wait, Yoda and Obi-Wan already taught me that.
    Qui-Gon: I feel vindicated.
    Luke: About what?
    Qui-Gon: Everything. Too long to list. And the Separatists. I never would have joined them.
    Luke: Who?
    Qui-Gon: Nevermind. It's irrelevant.
    Luke: So what news do you bring? What did you come to tell me that Yoda, my father, and Obi-Wan could not?
    Qui-Gon: There's a disturbance in the Force.
    Luke: ...
    Qui-Gon: I'm popular.

17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The easiest way to do it would be for Obi-Wan or Yoda to appear to Luke with the obligatory quest message... something like "Luke... There is a disturbance in the force and you must now ready yourself to learn new skills, skills we'd hoped you'd never have cause to learn. You must return to Dagobah, a place of solitude, in order to commune with and receive instruction from our master... Qui-Gon Jinn".

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    While I like Liam Neeson and Qui-Gon Jinn is not an unlikeable character, I don't see why we'd need to see him in Episode VII.

EDIT:

And to be honest, putting PT or OT characters in the ST just because could be seen as an example of fan service. I hope JJ Abrams keeps the fan servicing references to a minimum.

You know, kind of like: Oh! Here is this the old version of that cool character from the original trilogy! And look, here is the old version of another beloved character from the prequels! It's not like it's relevant to the plot or anything, but it's so cool! Look! Wow! Yipee!

Not to bash the prequels, but they were full of self references, like Yoda being friends with Chewbacca and/or Anakin building C3PO.

Please, no Luke meets Qui Gon scene or Luke goes back to Yoda's hut and finds an old newspaper with a picture of Obi Wan smiling after killing Darth Maul or Luke goes to Naboo and meets Jar Jar's kids.

19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I think inevitably the ST will, like it or not, reference the existing movies in one shape or form. Isn't returning characters like Luke and Han (and having the Falcon back) fan service? I think it is... And we've certainly been led to believe (by rumour and by passing comments granted) that JJ is keen to feature the 'big 3' with a focus that perhaps Lucas didn't intend in the original draft?

So given the working assumption that the ST is going to have at least one foot firmly placed in the past, I say connect them all... reference all 6 existing films whilst creating an opportunity to look forward. Unify them in a final trilogy... Leia in the Senate on Coruscant, Luke on Naboo, the Falcon on Kamino - whatever... as long as the story/characters work, JJ/KK should look to integrate them. It's an opportunity for all 9 films to feel much more connected.

20. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Reference all 6 existing films whilst creating an opportunity to look forward. As long as the story/characters work, it's an opportunity for all 9 films to feel much more connected.

(I had to reiterate/second your point ;))

:D

For the record, I too did not like how Yoda is mates with Chewie (in the OT Chewie seemed much more on Han's line of thinking regarding Jedi and the Force), nor how child Anakin coincidentally creates the droid that ends up with his kids (and he ends up with Luke through luck rather than planning), and I dare say is going to end up with his grandchidren.

21. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Darth PJ

Oh, I agree. If anything, there seems to be a disconnect between the OT and the PT, even if the PT shows the events that took place before the OT. However, even if I am not a screenwriter and I cannot quite put my finger on what the problem is, I feel there is a huge difference between necessary references that are relevant to the plot and which tie things up nicely and unnecessary-"look at me"-fan servicing-cringe inducing references.

Let's see. I guess it'd be great for Luke to go back to Dagobah and God knows I'd love to see Kamino again, because I loved Kamino. And it'd be awesome if Leia decided to go to Naboo and find out as much as she can about her mother, whom she didn't meet, according to the prequels. Yes, it'd be great. The 9 movies should indeed feel much more connected.

But stuff like: Guess what? Luke is friends with an old Sebulba! is different.

I can't explain how or why (at least not in English), but it'd be different.

Abadacus and Dak Oolron like this.
  22. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Oh I can see this working out real well...

Luke: Who are you?
    Qui-Gon: I'm Qui-Gon Jinn. I was Obi Wan's master.
    Luke: Oh, I thought Yoda was Obi Wan's master?
    Qui-Gon: No...
    Luke: *sigh* So Ben lied to me about that too...cool. :(

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree about the Yoda/Chewie thing. They didn't need to be in the same scenes. As far as 3PO is concerned, I have to admit that I liked the fact that Anakin made him. I thought it was quite a poetic symmetry that Anakin's droid (3PO) becomes Padme's droid and Padme's droid (R2) becomes Anakin's. :)

I don't think anyone particularly wants to see "cringe worthy" fan service (which is all relative of course)... but I'd imagine most of that 'fan service' will directed at fans of the OT - given that's JJ's preference.

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If the ST is potentially the end of this specific saga within the GFFA... and Luke is on a trajectory to become far more of a Qui Gon Jinn than the stodgy old Jedi Council type... it would be a nice circle closer to bring them together in some fashion. Luke's destiny is only able to unfold because Qui Gon freed Anakin and started his journey.

25. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I can't see one reason why Qui Gon would need to be in the ST. His story ended with a lightsaber to the gut.

Yanksfan and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.