main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How do you feel/what are going to do when 'the new canon/EU' hits the shelves?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Reorganize all of my books into publication order. Buy the novelizations and lead ins at least.

And pray that Denning isn't part of it and that they are somewhat decent compared to what came before.

imiller likes this.
  2. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    I really don't know. Rereading the X-Wing books really makes the idea that they won't be important anymore unpalatable. If they get some of the people involved in the creation of the old EU, like Allston and Zahn (and maybe Stackpole again!), I would definitely check it out, but probably not spend a ton of money unless it can equal the craft and effectiveness of the previous material. And it very well might.

However, since my attachment is really to the 90s era, with a few holdouts in the 00s (mostly from authors who started in the 90s), I'm guessing my perspective is shared by so few people that no one in marketing will care.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn and Darth_Foo like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Sincere answer: if the ST actually takes its influence from the OT, and consequently the EU is more similar to the earlier stuff than the more recent stuff, my interest will be piqued.

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Well I pretty much gave up on the EU a while back and gave away all of my GFFA books. So I'm practically looking forward to it, but Im going to keep an open mind towards the new stories both potentially good and bad. but I'm probably going to hold back on buying new EU books until I see something I like and after they sort out the EU. I think the Rebels tv series has me more excited at this point, since we don't have much to go on with ST at this point.

5. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    I see it 2 ways. TTT came out when I was about ten, and I didn't pick it up until a couple years later. I read lots of the Bantam-verse, but kind of fell off when the license switched to Del Rey. Not due to lack of interest or anything. I was getting into college and then further schooling, and it just became lower priority. In other words, I fell behind. Way behind. So it's almost impossible to read a book without missing some references (Wookiepedia is a god-send; had no idea who Tahiri was when I got to Edge of Victory I). So on the one hand, a re-boot of the EU would be good in that I can start from scratch on a "new" EU, provided it's good, of course.

On the other hand...I have read a good 40-45 Star Wars novels. And I keep going, so I get some enjoyment out of them, obviously, and I really wanted to get through them. Also, I'm just not a huge collector, but the books I have are becoming my collection, and while I've switched to Kindle/iPad for a lot of books, I've resisted for Star Wars. So while I know that Disney isn't going to come into my house and demand that I turn over all my books at gun point, I did want to continue acquiring them, and I hope that I am able to do so.

Definitely a good/bad situation for me.

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    My books won't go away, of course. That is, as long as I keep them.

They are officially outdated now, 'dead' in the sense that they (may) no longer fully embody 'Star Wars canon' which they used to do. They will no longer tell the official story of the GFFA following whatever date post ROTJ they choose. From a consumer POV who bought the continuous, ever-expanding Star Wars universe this is a slap in the face. We all - at least those of us who did not only buy a funny SW novel for a train trip or something like that - did not only buy novels who stand for themselves, we bought a continuity. Look into a Star Wars novel and watch the time line on the first pages. Or look at all the guides and source books, look at the two editions of the chronology. They really sold us more than some novels.

As to reboots or even remakes: They are possibility now. I guess both may be given some time in the future. As to remakes, I'd not pissed if somebody tried to remake the PT, since they are not exactly good movies, but I can't see a remake of the OT in the near future. That would be about as necessary as having Romulan miners blow up Vulcan. But then...

darthscott3457 and JediKnight75 like this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I totally empathise with you.

I was already disenchanted with Trek starting with ENT and Trek '09 basically killed Trek for me. That was a slap in the face to some, that was. It is a sad thing that both beloved franchises may well be morphing into a completely new entity than what us that grew up with the originals knew. Yet, given the tone of society regarding such things, it's completely unsurprising.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Except Trek books are in a far healthier state than Wars is, with 1 paperback for each month of 2014 and the same planned for next year.

Nor will either depart from the base ideas they were built upon - neither Old nor New Trek does that, but it's harder to say the same for SW due to haze factor of the PT.

9. GoingInside

GoingInside Jedi Master star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    If there is one positive that has come from the PT and the post-NJO EU, it is that I'm now mentally prepared for the ST and what it does to "canon".

I'm impressed with all of you that can look at TCW and the PT and FOTJ and the rest and try to intellectually integrate it and make it all fit in, but I've never been able to do that. I've been picking and choosing my own canon for years now, so the ST can't do any more damage than what has already been done. While I hope that the sequels will be entertaining movies, I will not let them supplant the Thrawn Trilogy or the X-Wing books in my mind, and to hell with G-canon.

vong333 and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel was brought back into canon after a few decades, maybe not entirely 100% but they had a major villain from the Marvel years pop up in the novels as a major villain. I don't think absolutely everything ever from the 1991-2012 Star Wars EU will simply be deleted and dead, chunks of it is going to disappear but there's so much stuff there that it's going to be integrated into the world-building fabric of the ST. And they'll probably be more older EU bits added on as it goes ie. Marvel Star Wars. It's not going to all eyeblink disappear go away, only a chunk of it. But other chunks will still be there, if not exactly as before.

11. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Many people bring up the notion that the erasure of the old EU from canon won't erase it from existence. This is (mostly) true. Putting aside the fact that they'll stop the publication of these stories faster than you can say Vong, the books will still exist. The games will still exist (on computers/consoles that support them). Dark Horse and marvel's old comics will still exist (but I can guarantee you won't see publication beyond this year if they're noncanon).

Every comic/novel/game we own won't magically burn up and vanish (well, I sure hope they won't anyway... you never know with Disney).

But there is a profound psychological effort involved in it. I've noticed several purists have been touting their high horse for the past few weeks, dearly hoping that they're proven right and the entire EU is wiped out. I think they do it because they're either disillusioned with some of the choices it's made (somewhat understandable), or overwhelmed by its sheer volume (also understandable). And yet regardless of the reason, they seem just as desperate to say to some of us that it's not canon as some of us are to say that it is. Why?

Because if it's not canon, the incentive to read these stories, to experience them, to frankly care about them at all is greatly reduced. It is simply that much harder to care about a story you believe never really happened, was never really part of a fictional character's life, was something akin to licensed fanfiction. Far fewer people read infinities and what-if stories than do the mainstream "canon" releases, and rightly so. No matter how much one may have enjoyed the story, knowing that it no longer counts, will no longer have a major impact on the universe... will greatly reduce the will needed to re-experience it outside of nostalgia. Sure, it won't get rid of it entirely... but it will be gone for a lot of us.

And this is without even bringing up the compromise to artistic and story integrity that comes about with the idea that you can do decade annual reboots for profit.

Sure, these stories will still exist, but there won't be nearly as much point in rereading them outside of nostalgia. The suspension of disbelief will be entirely gone, and it may taint said suspension of disbelief on future "canon" releases as well. This is made far worse by the notion that stories which are still not even out yet still won't count.

And honestly, none of that was necessary, before, and still not now if the decision hasn't been made yet. Decanonize a few bits and pieces if they must for the films, but all of it? That's such a waste.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    There is the exception to the rule of all that is Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" which is one gigantic "What If" but it's had a deeply resonant impact upon, like, basically practically everything Batman ever made since it was published. It may not be canon but you see elements of it constantly in, like, all the Bat-media again and again (and apparently the Bats vs. Superman movie is going to take a bunch from it... which Dark Knight Rises already did too). I can see some of the EU having that type of effect upon the ST/nu-EU. Not a canon story but it's all over it ala Dark Knight Returns.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Thats what I am talking about. It doesn't change anything for me. If I like a book and consider part of something then its part of something. For some of you its a hrad thing to do because you want an official person telling you what is ans ian't. I say the hell with that. Heck, I'm one of the few people that still considers Splinter of the Minds Eye to be Star Wars 1.5

14. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Family Guy and Robot Chicken did star wars and I consider it part of star wars. It was nostalgic, done by someone else with a passion for the genre and approved by GL. So that is with my collection. Your going to tell me that Paul Hilwhatever or Steven Whatsoever and George Wonderland is going to tell me what star wars is? Hell no. My micro series is with TCW collection with LOE, etc. To me Durge existed as much as Darth Bane and the TOR Sith Emperor. Korriban is as real as the new sith plaent and so forth. I still read my Thrawn books and they are still awesome even to this say alomist 20 years old.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for your view on the state of Trek, Jedi Ben. I respectfully disagree with your assessment but I'm glad you're content with it. :)

16. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm sure elements of those stories will still be there as the simple truth is that even a blatant reboot won't actually be that big of a continuity conflict for 'most' stories (Moriband is extremely easy to retcon in and of itself no matter 'what' they do with it, and there's obviously Korriban influence in what they're going for. It could still be the same world).

But I still stand by the fact that the biggest thing that's been on our side these past few decades has been official support of the continuity from licensing, even if Lucas himself was more ambivalent. This is why I consider Chee's word on the matter to be more important than Pablo's, and his silence recently to be a tad frustrating/puzzling. But still... it's a matter that's gonna need to be addressed soon.

17. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I will see the new films in theaters, and maybe buy the novelizations, but that will probably be it. Though I've only watched bit and pieces of TCW, what I've read about it running roughshod over previous works was enough to make me wary. Now we've got Rebels, VI-IX, and who knows what esle in the pipeline.

Personal Canon, most likely.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    DC Comics in general is one gigantic "What If".

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Heh, tru dat. But they keep having all these various crises to keep them all in line in general. Like the pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths is all canon unto itself, and the pre-Flashpoint DCU is all canon unto itself. Well, mostly. Some of that stuff happened in the DCN52 but most did not. Thing is, they kinda keep it all inside of their respective continuity boxes until they go all explode-y, canon-wise. But there is a single canon inside of that particular box.

20. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    It makes me very happy to read most of the responses here. I am pleased to see that a complete reboot is not welcome.

Personally, if they dump the EU, I will use that as an incentive to complete my collection of SW publications so that I have the complete story on a bookshelf. :) Other than that, I will stop buying Star Wars products.

The reason I want to spend money on Star Wars is not simply because I like Star Wars, but because it is a beautifully constructed universe, because George Lucas is not a Hollywood studio making movies only to break the record for most successful opening weekend, and because it is one story told through many media. George Lucas no longer makes Star Wars movies, and the universe without the EU is nothing but a text riddled with lacunae I do not want to see Disney fill in. Take the EU away, and all I have is a couple of movies I like. I like plenty of movies other than Star Wars, and I don't feel compelled to spend money on them. These days, with HD content so easy to get and with cinemas converted to digital projection rooms (but with ticket prices unchanged from the days -- which is, like, barely yesterday -- when someone had to make a film print, someone had to ship it over, someone had to carry it into the cinema, and a professional known as the projectionist actually had to project it on a piece of very expensive machinery), I don't even feel compelled to go to the theater to watch a film. If there isn't any expanding of universes going down, I just don't give a damn.

Now, I admit that there is a chance, in case they keep part of the EU intact and try to make things fit, that I would probably consider staying on board, provided they keep Dark Empire and a few other titles (this is a worst case scenario, obviously). But you see, that is the problem. People who buy EU products have their favorites. I want nothing to do with a Star Wars universe where Palpatine wasn't resurrected from the dead or where Revan wasn't mind-wiped by the Jedi and went out to find the Star Forge. Others want nothing to do with a Star Wars universe where Thrawn didn't launch a brilliant campaign against the New Republic some years after Endor. Others can't live without the X-Wing series. (I don't know of anyone who can't live without Jacen Solo falling to the dark side, though.) So selectively removing things from continuity is not a very smart idea. People who buy lots of Star Wars products invest in the coherence, and even when that coherence is nothing but pretense, it's still pretending to be there.

21. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Good Lord, this public display of cognitive dissidence based on conjecture is astounding.

We know very little of what or if any of the post-ROTJ EU will be included. We know nothing of the direction the EU will take. We know nothing of the authors involved. By stating, "My EU is raped and dead, nothing can replace it!" you are precluding even the possibility an EU 2.0 might equal or surpass the current incarnation.

Hypothetical situation: the post-ROTJ EU is thrown out completely leading to Episode Seven. Disney might leave the area blank. Disney might create a retelling of the Galactic Civil War's ending buttressed by the fact a potential creative team knows Episode Seven is the end point. Disney might release interquel films instead of prose or comics.

Look at the vacuum of knowledge regarding the people hired to write the new EU should it happen. Superior or inferior, we have yet to find out. If there is a change in direction could a new set of story tellers help distinguish the former from the latter?

Until we have concrete facts then the fans irritating themselves over possible changes are wasting time and effort. What will I do in a year or two when I look up books on my nook? I will examine the authors involved, read a little of the material, then pass judgment. We need to have something tangible first.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It depends on whether I like the ST. If I do, I'll buy the tie-ins, and maybe I'll enjoy them. That won't stop me from enjoying what I've already read and liked from existing EU.

I don't have high expectations for the ST right now so we'll see.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Cognitive dissidence, huh?

DarthBarrister and _Catherine_ like this.
  24. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I too have bought Star Wars products to have more of the story. Not the books -- I have all of the ones that interest me -- but the comics. I have joked that I buy Star Wars products to protest Star Wars because recently my buying sprees have been associated with decisions I dislike. But I want the complete story. And my Star Wars will always be 1-6 plus the EU. Even the things I disliked about the PT are things I want to keep because they often led to a good EU novel. I'm likely to consider the ST non canon. I can't see the Star Wars universe without the EU. To me it is perfectly logical that Thrawb rallied the Enpire , that the emperor kept clone bodies (I haven't read Dark Empire but it's part of my canon), that Luke begins rebuilding the Jedi Order after defeating the reborn empire, that there was a race called the Yuuzhan Vong that invaded the galaxy, and that the was they caused had the NJO on the front lines and taking on their own distinct identity. No one can tell me that there was no Revan or Meters Surik, or that Naga Shadow's Empire didn't flee into the unknown regions and return 1000 years later. Nor can someone say that my Swtor characters weren't the heroes of that war. These events and many more are part of my Star Wars universe. The one I became invested in and no one can tell me it didn't exists. I read about it; it happened. How could these events not happen? What were all of these people doing then? The universe no longer males sense to me without them. They are just as Star Wars as the PT and OT.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    At this point my affection for the EU is based mostly on nostalgia; if I hadn't already been following it for so long, I'd have no interest in suddenly jumping in now. So if they restart the continuity from scratch, I won't be spending a dime on it, regardless of how good it supposedly is. Not as some kind of boycott for trashing the old EU, but because of all the things I'd like to read, a brand new tie-in fiction franchise is at the bottom of my list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.