main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

A lot of people liked Crystal Skull. Even the critical response was generally positive, at least compared to the prequels.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well to be fair, it is a bad movie, but unlike most of the prequels, it's actually a fun bad, the sort of movie that really doesn't take its own content too seriously. Even all of the potential angst about Indy and Marion and Mutt struggling to form a remote semblance of a family isn't dwelt on for more than a scene or two, it's just progressed through to the next cool action setpiece. Not to take away from how much visible fun Harrison Ford has playing the role, but that lack of seriosusness definitely helps.

3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bad movie?

Ultraterrestrials, Area 51, nuclear explosions, Red Scare... it's like they read my Indy fan fiction.

RC-1991 and The_Phantom_Calamari like this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Indy 4 was always destined to be a 1950s homage, so it was doomed to have communists and aliens and wacky SF stuff.

5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    While we can argue the legitimacy of this recent rumor, the general notion of the past few years has been that Ford has been pushing for assurances that he'll get an Indiana Jones film, if they want his involvement in Star Wars. I would totally be down for this. KOTCS had a lot of problems, but Ford was not one of them at all. I think a low key adventure would be great, and I think going to the old drafts of the haunted castle project could be an interesting starting point.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Crystal Skull, mainly because Marion was back.

I could have lived without Shia LeBoeuf and I honestly don't remember much else other than "bad Russians."

But two more Indy movies? LOL.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I can respect why Harrison Ford, from an actor's perspective, isn't interested in Han Solo. But given that, I will go to my grave not understanding what he sees in Indy.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Indy had a much more substantial arc in Last Crusade than Han Solo did in Return of the Jedi.

9. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    A sweet hat?

Valin__Kenobi, Zorrixor and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Okay, but did it warrant another three movies? Because apparently that's what he's after.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I dunno what he's thinking, but I guess with Indiana Jones he figures he's the sole lead, whereas Han Solo is second fiddle to Luke, and in the ST is a supporting character. And if the rumors that Abrams wanted the Big 3 to star in 7 aren't true, I don't see why he would have an issue playing Han Solo as a supporting character. I just don't think he wants to put in the work of a lead role when he is being asked to do what he was asked to do in ROTJ.

CooperTFN likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I honestly think Ford digs being Indy / the star of the series as Indy, and there are a lot more layers and things you can do with to Indy as an actor than what we've seen from Han in the OT. Compared to Han, Indy runs the emotional character development spectrum. By Harrison Ford standards, that is.

Also, I can't see a scenario wherein Harrison Ford would make more money by playing Han Solo in 3 more movies vs. playing Indiana Jones in 2 more. All those backend moneymaking thingie deals.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think he likes getting paid to staple his head.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I don't understand why Harrison Ford doesn't just retire. When was the last time he looked like he actually cared about one of his movies?

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    1973?

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Guy put in some decent work in "Ender's Game", the final scene he has with Ender in the movie is downright gripping. Actually, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Ford, from basically Crystal Skull onward, seems to been a bit more lively and nuanced in his performances than his late 90s/early 2000 work.

I thought Ford was fantastic in Crystal Skull, most energized I've seen him in decades. I'm hoping in Ep. 7 he puts some more oomph into it, at least at ROTJ levels. But I could see him giving more with Indy.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

It's hard to tell if he's just putting on an affectation of complete apathy.

Seriously though, I think he just plays a character called Harrison Ford when he's in front of a camera.

18. karilyan

karilyan Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2014

Maybe they can do another Indy son movie from another mother with another actor until it sticks? With the second movie they can detail Indy's son with the woman in Temple of Doom!

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hahahaha, you'd run into a big of snag if they tried a third kid from Elsa in Indy prt 6.

"I was raised as a feral baby by my mother and lived for decades in a pit to be eventually saved by a knight templar who was downright ticked she ruined his home by breaking the seal with the grail. Hi dad!"

Scratch that, that would awesome.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    On ToD: I'm hoping Indy wasn't stupid enough to bang that with no protection.

krtmd and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Fixed it for you.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay then...................

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm sure Winnie would be tolerable in an amorous way for about 5 minutes even to Indy.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Sounds like a good movie to me.

But yeah, I don't understand why people seem to be under the impression that Harrison Ford slept through that role. He looked totally into it from where I was sitting.

And the only thing I request from another Indy movie is that the McGuffin be an Islamic artifact. The OCD part of me demands that it be so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.