main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Do you not like Wedge, CoW? Though, I can totally empathise of being tired of immature and poorly handled Luke.

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I think some of us had endured through poor characterizations of Luke more than others that we can come off as cynical to new posters. I think ChildOfWinds likes Wedge fine, it's just we prefer it he doesn't take Luke role of leadership that we see in Empire Strikes Back til he eventually passes command to Wedge as we see later.

Edit: ChildOfWinds

So what so you think of the news surrounding Rebels and how it affects Luke ?

3. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with you on all points but I'm not really a new poster, MasterSkywalker86, I just wanted clarification. :) I also haven't experienced all the EU some of you have. I like to understand contexts.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Cushing's Admirer:
    I'm sick of the immature and poorly handled Luke that we've gotten far, far too often!

I like Wedge just fine! However, I don't like what was done with him in the Star Wood comic. He was made Luke's 'boss" in the comic and Wedge was also given credit for creating Rogue Squadron all on his own and with being the first leader of Rogue squadron.

In previous EU, it was Luke's idea and Luke and Wedge along with someone else, created Rogue Squadron. Luke was Rogue Squadron's first leader and he gave that position to Wedge when he felt that he needed to concentrate on all things Jedi.

I feel that the Woods' comic also contradicts the films. Even in ANH, Red Leader chose Luke to lead Wedge and others in the run on the Death Star. It was Wedge who called Luke "boss". Luke did a great job with that responsibility during the Death Star run, taking to leadership quite quickly and easily. I can't see him being pushed into the background as just an extra pilot under Wedge's leadership after that. It simply doesn't work for me.

MasterSkywalker86:

Exactly, MS!

I didn't hear the news, MS. What did they say about Luke?

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Well new around these parts at least with SOS :p Unless you were around since version 1, I came at the tail end to that one :)
    Also welcome to SOS Cushing's Admirer :) to best summarize Luke's characterization in the EU it's mostly not great.

For the Bantam period Luke was treated well in the Zahn books to varying degrees, aside of those books most of the Bantam books had mixed depictions of Luke. For instance some of us never got why Luke fell hard for Callista and if you take away that issue and that of the plot then you're left with a decent portrayal of Luke. In contrast the Crystal Star portrayal of Luke is just wrong. For Del Rey era they introduced the NJO series which seem to bring the next generation to the forefront as well as instill a bit of fear and realism with killing off Chewie(with a moon and realism in Star Wars ??) Originally they wanted to kill Skywalker off until Lucas said no. Not exactly a great way to introduce the series at least this farmboy fan. Anywho many of felt Luke appeared to be indecisive, older than he should be(he's in his 40's yet the Vector Prime cover has him look 60), and Force handicapped for the first half of the war. We didn't get to see Luke as the man of action as we saw in the films til much later in the series. TUF the final book in NJO actually almost single handily redeems Luke's portrayal and had a nice end for both generations.

Sadly DN, LotF, Fotj, and Crucible went in a very strange direction with further character deaths(Mara),derailment(Jacen a sith), and an atmosphere of constant war(no room for peace ?) Another issue is when looking for Luke stories you were pretty much limited to the Legacy era. Great books like Luke Skywalker & Shadows of the mindor and Survivor's Quest were few and far on between. Any who that's the basic gist of it. Im hoping the ST follows the OT way of things while doing something new and hopeful for Luke.

Edit:ChildOfWinds

Nothing has been said of Luke actually but I was wondering if u have kept up with the Rebels news ? Im actually looking forward to the series, you get a KOTOR comic vibe from it. I can totally see a Luke cameo too

ChildOfWinds and DigitalMessiah like this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you very much for the clarifications, Child of Winds and Master Skywalker 86. :) I have been in this SOS before but it didn't go too well as I have a very unpopular view regarding war. However, it's nice that's past. I really dislike conflict. I simply want to learn and be heard. :)

Yes, I notice that it seems a fair many hate Callista and love Mara to bits. I likewise agree there is much inconsistency with Luke's characterization. It's a major reason I quit the EU. I also couldn't stand the stupidness of Jacen as a Sith and the cover of Betrayal made that obvious...and things that followed...yeah don't like most of them either. Though, I am not a fan of Mara so I appreciated that Luke suffered a major personal loss again as well. I don't like the concept that a hero's untouchable.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Cushing's Admirer, And apologies if I was confrontational when asking about
    that. I can come off as overly cynical at times and with message boards it's very easy to send the wrong message. I can understand your view to a degree. No worries, we respect everybody's opinion or at least to strive to here.

Any who I don't mind Callista in the sense I don't hate her character but i think her origins are weird. Like I dunno how the future for her and Luke would go. As for Mara I can understand, her character can be a hard pill to swallow. And the way that Zahn portrays her can be over bearing, but now I have grown to like her after understanding her upbringing as the assassin for the "honorable" empire.

What do you mean a hero being untouchable ? You mean when they make mistakes ?

kataja, ChildOfWinds and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Much appreciated, Sir. *Nods respectfully* MasterSkywalker86 but from my standing it wasn't really you I had issue with. It was Jedi Ben that seemed a bit abrasive.

That's nice to know. :) Many in my experience disdain Callista. I had no preconceived notions about 'ships when I read the Bantam-era books. I liked Callista fine. It's the fandom that's so divisive about who 'belongs' with whom. It can be quite a turn off when strangers act like you are stupid for not following 'majority' views. Now, I follow no 'ships at all. I read Union and know in part Mara's character and I know a bit about Ben.

I know Luke has been badly handled most of EU, I know Jacen went Sith and is dead, I know Mara and Anakin are dead. I know Thrawn and Gilad are also dead...I adored Pellaeon and do not agree at all with his manner of death, either. Yes, many have recently told me much the same about Mara in the L/M Thread.

I do not see the Empire as 'worse' than the Rebellion as most do. If you lot can empathise with an assassin, why was I knocked for daring to empathise with Tarkin? Both are murderers. I understand situational justifications, but I don't condone or agree with them.

No, I mean how most stories have one character (usually male) or his entire clan that basically is the best people in the universe and because of that status they get away with basically everything and usually don't have lasting consequences for much of anything. That's usually how the Skys and Solos are treated. I thought NJO and LotF was death heavy but I was glad to see finally they weren't immortal like some act.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Ah i gotcha, can't say I agree with that but I can understand the sense of having character shields. I think Del-Rey's approach went over the top to break that image. well from NJO on we see plenty befall on the Sky-Solo clan. The lost of Chewie, Mara, Anakin, & Jacen. Luke being exiled, the NJO under house arrest, Ben became an assassin at the age of 14, etc. The galaxy being in further disarray now than the beginning of FotJ just seems to be a redundant cycle of wars all trying to outdo the next one. And yes Pelleaon had an unnecessary death. IIRC he was killed by Tahiri after a tantrum

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    You misunderstand, MS. I am not saying they are untouchable *now* I was saying I didn't like how they basically were in the Bantam era. I know a lot has befell them in Del-Rey's years. I'm grateful even if I disagree with the handling.

Re: the war thing hardly anyone does I'm not surprised but it does seem hypocritical that most excuse one side of the exact same things they condemn the other side of.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Actually I wasn't referring to them being untouchable as of current but yes Bantam character's shields were a huge complaint among EU readers. To me it didn't bother me much cause I view SW as an space fantasy with some hints of realistic issues. As for people who claim you cant create real drama or tell a good story without the sense of danger I present them Shadows of Mindor and Survivor's Quest :p

ChildOfWinds and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, I know you weren't, you seem to think I was. :p

Thank you for that bit about drama and danger. I am just starting a fantasy and I intend to do it without focus on danger but it will still be a drama. I too believe it is possible. :)

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Now I am truly confused :p

I wish you luck on your story, I think it's possible to do that without the necessity of danger. I would have enjoy to read the SkySolo clan sit at dinner and banter.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_laugh] No worries. Thanks for the fresh start here. :) [:D]

Much appreciated. So would I. That'd be refreshing.

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Lol :D no worries, if u need someone to critique your story although I'm no writer feel free to pm it. I think we have some regulars here who like to write fan fiction.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's only one discussion we've had that comes to mind where this would have been the inadvertent outcome CA - which I think was sparked by your statement you consider everyone in SW guilty of mass murder or words to that effect! I couldn't possibly agree with you on that and after a brief exchange it was best we simply agreed to differ. As that exchange went on though, I was concerned the outlook you were sketching was one that would be exceedingly harsh to you and others - I still think that's so. Not least as there are some really scuzzy individuals walking around!

Or, if you prefer, the shorter version of this reply is: [:D]

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Couple of lighter points....

No Grandmaster Luke =

[​IMG]

Star Wars #15 - just say no!

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Never cared for the Grandmaster Luke idea and as for SW#15..... :_|

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, you'll have to inflict this one on yourself! Preview link's in the SW#15 thread....

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yeah, I got that the first time Jedi Ben but you are a bit rather harsh yourself.

A lot of people apply situational ethics especially when it comes to war and I don't think it's sound. That's my main point. The other was I see everyone real or fictional that's physical as grey, only exception is Christ. But we can agree to disagree. I just want to be heard and understood not fight.

[:D]

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    If you think I do, you assume too much. I know there are shades, Sir.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    So I look at #15 and wow....just wow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.