main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Qui-Gon Jinn and the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Liam Neeson should just play every single character in VII if they can't get Harrison, Mark, and Carrie to come back.

2. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I dunno about all of that, being I only really follow a little outside of the main storyline. But, that's what I would like to see. I'm not a EU person or anything.

Per the Internet, Liam Neeson and Cumberbatch should be playing all characters ever for the rest of any new movie announcement always.

I just love seeing them come up for every single role suggestion, regardless of them not even being close to being a good fit for 99.949232493942% of said roles.

MODified: Use 'Edit' to add any new thoughts to your post instead of double posting. Thanks.

3. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    If Luke dies, we may actually enter the netherworld of the force and see things from a ghost's perspectice for the first time. As long as it isn't too derivative of the world characters enter when they put on Tolkien's ring in Peter Jackson's films, it would be interesting to see. The ghosts of Luke and Anakin seeking counsel from Yoda, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn before confronting Palpatine, Maul and Dooku on the other side would be interesting to see, whilst the next generation, still living, sort out issues on this side of the chasm.

4. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012

To be honest, I wouldn't take much of what Lucas has to say into serious consideration, and I think it goes without saying why.

And didn't Qui-Gon already appear as a ghost in a SWTCW episode?

[​IMG]

I think it'd be great having the first jedi to master true compassion and immortality appear in the ST, for both fan service and perhaps a role in the plot (maybe giving advice to Luke/the new protagonist).

5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't think Mortis counts as true ghosting. Shmi appeared to Anakin as well.

Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  6. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I didn't hear this rumour. :( What exactly was said?

7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't remember exactly. Just that J.J. cut a lot of ghosts out of Arndt's script.

Dra--- and Echo Base like this.
  8. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    There is no need for him in the ST, move along, move along.

Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  9. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Interesting and possibly saddening. More emphasis on the Force Ghosts would have been one point of differentiation between the ST and what had come before. If it helps them to retain some of their mystery it could maybe be a positive though, I suppose.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    exactly. Mortis weren't ghosts, weren't they the son/daughter pretending to be Jinn and Shmi?

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I think so now that you mention it. I need to watch that again.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That is a blatant lie, as well as a deadly insult to Nic Cage, who is a perfect fit for 110% of all roles ever.

TheManFromMortis and Dra--- like this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They are mentioned in episode 3.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

They're mentioned in the screenplay but not the actual film because Liam Neeson never recorded the dialogue.

EHT, Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Didn't yoda mention it to obiwan?

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    nope

17. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't remember hearing anything about cutting ghosts out. Do you remember the source?

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

He was supposed to but that part was also cut out. His line was: "The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied. How to commune with him. I will teach you." But the bit about the Whills was either nixed or never recorded.

Immortiss, EHT and T-R- like this.
  19. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    The Father confirmed the Son was impersonating Shmi. Qui-Gon on the otherhand was left open for interpretation.

Dra--- and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I want to say it was Ali Arikan, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

21. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    It's an interesting idea that having Qui-Gon appear in E9/ST would "bookend" the Saga. I think I would agree with it more if the idea behind the Living Force had been developed more in TPM and played a bigger, more overt role in the PT. As it's set up right now, the movies barely touch on the LF much at all, the TPM being the only movie it's mentioned in.

The LF is being mentioned in an interesting way in TCW S6, but that only highlights the absence of its importance to the PT. The LF could play an important role in the ST, but I still don't believe that makes it anything of a Saga bookend.

I do like the idea of Qui-Gon meeting with Luke because Luke perhaps has more in common with Qui-Gon than Jedi like Yoda or Obi-Wan. Then again, although Qui-Gon was rebellious in his views from the PT Order, he was still a pretty stoic dude. So I'm not really sure how much he and Luke have in common, really. Maybe the LF thing, but at this point, Yoda and Obi-Wan have the LF thing in common with Luke too.

The idea of Qui-Gon, who appeared in one PT film, somehow being an apt bookend for the Saga is a little tenuous, imo. It sort of makes sense, but it would really depend on how much the LF was relevant to the ST. The LF mainly seems relevant for Ghosting, so it seems like that idea was pretty much created to explain Obi-Wan and Yoda's ability in the OT.

Perhaps Luke will use the LF to return in the flesh in the ST and become an immortal? That might work.

Still, since Yoda was in all three films of the PT, as well as Obi-Wan, I don't see why they wouldn't be greater bookends than Qui-Gon.

Basically, beyond fan service -- which I'm not usually against -- there doesn't seem to be anything Qui-Gon can bring to picture Yoda can't. That is, Yoda has had plenty of time since becoming a Ghost to learn any secrets Qui-Gon may have learned.

I think I'd rather see the introduction of something new, like the Whills, to the films, rather than bringing Qui-Gon back. I'm sure they plan on bringing Yoda back to introduce any new Force elements.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Since Qui-Gon was the first one to make contact with the Whills and learn to become a ghost, it seems to me that an appearance by the Whills would only increase the likelihood of seeing Qui-Gon again.

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    What does being first have to do with it? What about second?

Let's say Yoda and Qui-Gon have both learned their secrets. Why Qui-Gon instead of Yoda?

24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I just think there must be something pretty special about Qui-Gon to be able to do that. Maybe it has to do with the LF, but it really hasn't been explored onscreen and if it were it could lead back full circle to him.

25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    But for it to lead back full circle, wouldn't that suggest the LF played a big role in the PT? It didn't. It had nothing to do with the plot of the Sith taking over the Republic or Anakin falling to the darkside.

Maybe if Qui-Gon had had a scene where he debates with Yoda and the council about how the Order will fall if they don't focus more on the LF. But we didn't get anything like that. The LF in TPM was simply advice thrown out causally to Obi-Wan about focusing on the present. I'm not sure how that idea is really related to the Fall of the Republic or Anakin's fall.

I agree with you though that Qui-Gon is a special figure. What no one can state with certainty yet though is whether Yoda hasn't gained the same knowledge as him. Whether or not Qui-Gon was first is irrelevant. What these fellas know by the time of the ST is what matters. Why wouldn't they share the same knowledge?

Still, if Qui-Gon appears, I won't hate it. I just don't think his appearance is as necessary as some of you fine gents. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.