main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The death star plans fiasco

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed- given that they're a society with 360 degree holographic imagery as a standard transmission format and near-sentient computers/robots, it's unlikely they don't have high data storage capacity formats to accommodate that tech.

But, as an extrapolation of the data storage mediums available at the time the writers invented these events, it's still feasible anyways. So the assumption they were equivalent to low-capacity format is flawed.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Well...WEG actually gave abstract data about data storage because they were that awesome and that extremely bored.

File size can go from 1D to 13D, with the Death Star plans being 10D in size. Usuall pocket computers have a limit of 5D but you can break a file into chunks (there's a Star Wars equivalent of WinRAR, apparently). So there you have it: your DS thievery fits in two data tapes!

3. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    What if the Death Star plans were a 16mm film print showing that little How to Blow up the Death Star movie Dodonna showed, and the Empire cut the frames up and spread them throughout the galaxy as one of Palpatine's games? That would still leave A LOT of plan theft stories untold. ;)

Well, as others have said, there were probably lots of fake plans out there. The ones R2 got off the Death Star mainframe are not correct, so what does that say about all the other plans?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Bless WEG.

I'm curious though- if 13D is the max file size, and a moon-sized planetoid takes up 10D, and we eschew the vector graphics argument for a moment- what the hell takes up more space?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    13D is described as the max file size with the current technology. Might be just a theoretical size.

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Oh my God.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course. WEG has thought up the answer to the question before we even asked it. Why am I not surprised?

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That should be the motto of the forum.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Now if only they'd explained the "tapes" part.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Just think of it as some unknown, exotic form of information storage that happens to utilize strips of information encoding material. It doesn't have to be magnetic tape.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'll eat my hat if WEG didn't have pictures of how data tapes are supposed to look. Probably in one of the Fantastic Technology supplements.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I thought about running my players through that scenario, but I decided it was too obvious, so instead I had them steal the prototype X-wings from the Empire and help the Incom design engineers defect to the rebels.

Good times...

13. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Werent't datatapes containing Death Star plans shown in that Marvel issue with Tay Vanis, the one tying into RotJ?

(Oh, but Death Star II plans have their own little mini-fiasco, don't they?)

14. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Here's how the Death Star plans were stolen:

"This is too easy."

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Journalist: So, Chief of State Mothma, we have heard so many accounts of how the Alliance got the Death Star plans over the years, but we have never had an official statement. If you are at liberty to do so, would you share the real story with our viewers?
    Mon Mothma: Well, let's just say that beards were involved.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Kyle's beard altered history so that it was involved in stealing the Death Star plans even though he hadn't grown it yet.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    If Star Wars were Star Trek, there would be a time travel story there. In a universe where the Empire never fell, the heroes would have to go back in time and convince Kyle to grow a beard in order to save the galaxy. It would probably involve a moral lesson about beards imparted by older Kyle to his young, clean-shaven version. Unlike the (thoroughly clean-shaven) moral lessons of Star Trek, that would be something I could get behind.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hasbro retroactively gave Awesome-Beardless-Kyle a beard, so there might actually be some form of time travle involved afterall.

[​IMG]

Gorefiend, Revanfan1 and Starkeiller like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Oh, there definitely is, because in Lethal Alliance he has a beard as well, in addition to some artwork that depicts his mission to Danuta featuring the likeness of Jason Court.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Trek has it's own beard vs. non-beard character...

[​IMG]

21. karilyan

karilyan Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Most advanced form of data tapes in the galaxy and easily hidden in digestive systems to!

22. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Jabba's "artistic" photos of slave girls collection.

Sarge likes this.
  23. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I wonder if they have powerpoint in the gffa.
    Hmmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.