main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Expanded Universe Senate

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I was reading the consitution this morning. I admit I only read the voting details before I got started on this discussion [face_blush] and the Ministry thing sounds familiar. Maybe the first Chancellor back from the temp boards there was discussion or even people appointed. Since then there haven't been any and that's why it was forgotten.

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    That isn't true. You were even part of my Ministry Runny! :p

For the most part I only used Swan with the EUS Update sock to make announcements to the Senators so I was part of the problem, but I did have a Ministry. I didn't think there was an issue with Fan Clubs being non-compliant. I guess I assumed an honor system from people and being active where they're supposed to be.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  3. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I said it sounded familiar :p ;) [face_laugh]

4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The only change I would like to see would be GMs being allowed to vote.
    Restrictions could be set for that, but personally I only think a certain length of time requirement is necessary. A game that runs year round or for at least 6 months, for example.

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree with Admiral Volshe. The main thing I would like to see happening is game masters getting the ability to vote.
    ---
    Very well then. Everyone can run for Chancellor, but only Senators would be allowed to vote. Sounds good by me.
    ---
    Some fan clubs just don't have a lot of active members. If we would organize elections in each fanclub to decide who becomes Senator, that would not work for every fanclub. Also, people who have been actively involved from the beginning will be discriminated.

6. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
  7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    What I'm hearing is most Senators would like to keep the voting process as is or allow GM's to becom Senators and keep things how they are. I agree with this.

However, I would like to know how we are going to address the fact that several of our current senators represent fanclubs that are no longer active or have very little activity.

If we keep this system we do need to enforce some of the old rules. It's not fair for people to be senators of clubs hidden back on page three with no discussion for months. There were lots of senators in the last election or two scrambling for feedback on who they should vote for from mostly inactive club members (me included).

Some of these Senators are long time citizens who I hate to see lose their position, but if we keep the senator system in place and the voting system stays the same I think we need to enforce the rules more. Do you all agree?

Thoughts? Ideas?

8. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    I guess here is where I need some explanation of why an election won't work in low-populated groups? If a group is maintaining enough activity/population to remain a group...then they should be given the chance to choose a leader. The people who are actively involved, and willing to serve are more than likely going to be the people elected. The cream always rises to the surface, sometimes it just needs a good churn or time to rise.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  9. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Some of the fan clubs have very little to no activity say like two months or more before someone posts again. I guess that's what she is getting at. Sometimes a club can go inactive for a week or two when everyone gets busy.

What's she's trying to get at are the clubs that experiance long periods of no posting that goes beyond more then a month. If you filter out all the clubs and look to see when the last person posted, the majority of them are two months or more of inactivity, some of them are a year or more with no activity and it's not fair to the senator who is trying to get votes out of inactive clubs....

I agree with Runner on the issue

Sinrebirth and Runjedirun like this.
  10. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    The inactivity rule kicks in at 14 days. When I'm not in the middle of midterms I usually post in my thread at least that often. But there's maybe, on any given week, one or two other people posting in it. A good election that does not make. But we do qualify for a Senate seat.

I guess from what I'm reading here that no one sees the population/activity decline that I do. That's fine, and I can see that we're not going to end up changing things. Which honestly? Disappoints me. Not just at a personal level, but that we - as a Senate - don't seem to want to encourage any increased participation from non-Senators without them having to take one of the few (difficult to obtain) Senator seats. I understand a lot of the reservations, but there could have been solutions.

But I really don't have the energy if I'm going to be the only one petitioning for change, so I'm stopping here. Please don't take this as personal as it isn't targeted at the Senators who've spoken up against - and I do, sincerely, appreciate their input and critiques - I'm just trying to express how I feel on what seems the obvious conclusion of this issue.

Runjedirun and Sinrebirth like this.
  11. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    How many people does the GM as Senator rule impact? How many of the GMs are not currently Senators of a different thread and actually want to participate in the Senate?

How many users are currently not able to be Senator (and want to be) because the thread they post in already has a Senator?

I was a default choice for the NUS because no one else wanted to do it.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    A few valid points here and a good discussion going but I'll raise the bantha in the room - Episode VII. We are poised to have a minor influx and we have to decide on what we want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runjedirun likes this.
  13. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Ok, that helps clear it up a bit for me. In instances when a club has shown little activity over a sustained amount of time, it's probably in everyone's best interest if the Chancellor either appoints an active group member (if the want the job) of that particular club for at least as long as it takes to bring the group back to an activity where a true election can happen. If no willing member can be found, then (while it sounds harsh) it is probably time to visit the need for removing that particular group from representation. Otherwise your peddling a bicycle with no tires, which only uses energy but gets you nowhere.

Runjedirun likes this.
  14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I see it. This is what I brought up this morning. I think we need to enforce some rules whent it comes to participation in threads and the number of senators is going to go down in number when that happens.

Probably 2 - 3 gm's can become senators if they want. If we decide to vote on allowing them to become senators and it passes.

Once my term as chancellor is up I will no longer be a senator. The Wedge club no longer has enough activity to qualify (doesn't even come close). There are others in the same position.
    Exactly we need to enforce the rules at least to some extent. Once this happens there will be less senators. I want everyone to be aware this is going to happen now. Please speak up if you have concerns.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.
  15. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Episode VII is also going to cause many things for us that will remain a mystery for some time. Many may not be good and serious changes may have to happen to accomodate them. Not trying to alarm anyone, but I'm sure it's in the back of everyone's minds. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, we will have to wait and see.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The qualification point for a thread to have activity to retain membership is a relatively moot one; we won't enforce it if need be.

I think what we have garnered from this discussion is that games should be entitled to representatives, and that's generally what we can all agree on.

s65horsey likes this.
  17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    So once someone has established themselves as a Senator even if the thread dies, as long as they remain active throughout the rest of the community you believe they should retain their right to vote?

I like that, if I got it right ;)

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    If the thread appears to have a temporary drop in activity. In that we give threads more time than 14 days.

19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I can find 3 Senators though that are in jeopardy:

Adam - Twin Suns OCT 8th 2012
    Katana - X-wing FC DEC 27, 2012
    Addie – NJOFC Jan 31, 2014

and like I said my old position as the senator for the Wedge club is also in the same situation. All fo these threads haven't been touched in a month. How lenient should we be?

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    You're the Chancellor. Issue an edict. With three quarters of us agreeing you can make a constitutional amendment.

If I was a Senator you'd have my support.

21. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Its also tough to admit but perhaps some of those old threads are ok to die. It is tough to keep going when we all talk elsewhere (social threads) and there isn't new material coming out.

I agree with Sinre in that things are going to change a lot once Ep. VII comes out and hopefully the EU will be revitalized with new characters for us to fall in love with and we'll be getting new material on those characters to keep the new threads going.

I don't have a problem with a GM being a Senator and representing their game thread. I asked the numbers question because I don't like making rules when it isn't going to help us. So if there aren't any GM's that want to be Senators, why make the rule?

I could see having a grandfather clause added to the constitution so we don't lose Senators for lack of thread activity. Though I am torn on this because I see Senators as leaders in the EUC and I think they should be making the extra effort to leading discussions in their thread related to the EU character.

adam probably needs to be removed as a Senator. He hasn't posted anywhere since Dec 28th (and before that it was Sept). That's not being an active member of the community. Again assigning a Minister to be in charge of this is a good way to get someone else involved in the Senate.

Honestly I think we need a poll of what people are reading concerning the EU. Are we missing an obvious FC that could be active in discussion?

Runjedirun likes this.
  22. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007
    All good points and I agree. I think the poll idea is a good one as well.

23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A Disney one? A Rebels one? There isn't much of an overlap currently.

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Idk! I know that we're not getting much from the EU at the moment which is a problem for us.

25. CrazyOldHermit

Aug 22, 2007
    I'll say. I'm in the middle of Triple Zero right now. Certainly not a current novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.