main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Clothes and Fashion in the Galaxy Far Far Away

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013

She could be from a Near-Twi'lek species or a Human/Twi'lek hybrid.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Or Twileks are just more varied then people give them credit for. ;)

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Love her eyes and the patterns on her leku? but everything else seems pretty bland. Looks approachable enough, though. :)

5. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm surprised nobody's posted these little diddies right here. "New Mandalorian" citizen attire, and at least they all have a common theme. :p

[​IMG]

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    ^^ The fact that the above image reminds me of THX 1138 is probably not a good thing. [face_plain]

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That theme being: they're stupid. [face_plain]

8. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007

While I won't disagree with you on that point, the common theme is the Kar'ta Beskar (Iron Heart) symbol incorporated into their clothes. Pacifists maybe, but still clinging to the old ways. ;)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Pardon my naive question, for my Mando'a is not too good. But aren't adjectives supposed to come before the noun--as in cin vhetin ("white field") or munit tome'tayl, skotah iisa ("long memory, short fuse")? Since Beskar is used in an adjectival way, shouldn't it be Beskar Kar'ta? (Now that I think of it, adjectives are formed by adding -la or -yc to the end of pre-existing nouns. So maybe "made of Iron" should be Beskaryc, leading to the phrase Beskaryc Kar'ta?)

10. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    If your using KT's dictionary/lexicon, then sure it could be said that way.

Kar'ta Beskar is the canonical name for that specific mando armor part; heart of iron (I've always relegated it to "Iron Heart", but both phrases mean the same thing).

Ordo N-11, Revanfan1 and LelalMekha like this.
  11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh, I take it it was canonically called Kar'ta Beskar in The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett? Thanks for the clarification. Although, since Traviss was the inventor of a functional language, I wish they had followed her system and translated it into proper Mando'a.

12. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    Without derailing the thread.

I guess "proper Mando'a" depends on your point of view. Dialects, words, and grammar can change from region to region (and often times do). Being from the Southeast US myself there are several words, spelling of words, arrangement of words, meanings of words, and grammar that are dramatically different from residents of other regions in the US. As a short example; the town of my raising is spelled Yadkinville, however colloquially it's pronounced "Yagnville". My Uncle who was from Chicago pronounced it "Yakinville". Or when you left/entered the county, you never said "I left/entered Yadkin county.", you said "I crossed the river" (as the Yadkin river borders the county on 3 sides). So I like to think the same thing would apply in Star Wars, especially to a nomadic culture made up of people from many different planets/systems/species. Diversity is one of the Mando's greatest strengths IMO, and ironically one that bind them together as a culture.

Ok, I'm back on target after my tangent. :p

Gamiel and Ordo N-11 like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

kecen, COMPNOR, MercenaryAce and 3 others like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was thinking of doing it but I wanted to also have som images of the other mando factions as a comparison but since you have begun
    (Images are not in any chronological order)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also, I don't know if this is mando clothes or just spacer clothes
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I am surprised how little of the new Mandalorian concept art there is on the wook'

Using traditional emblems is not clinging to the old ways, it is like saying that every frenchman who use the Fleur-de-Lis is clinging to the old monarchical ways

15. karilyan

karilyan Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2014
    Lol, just noticed how Kaminoan their schools are. Now I'm wondering if that's a connection they wanted to make and what that connection they wanted to imply.

16. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Also, I don't know if this is mando clothes or just spacer clothes
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

That one actually suspiciously looks like the duty uniform of a captain of the Naboo Royal Security Forces.
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and Gamiel like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That one actually suspiciously looks like the duty uniform of a captain of the Naboo Royal Security Forces.
    [​IMG][/quote]Now I want to see someone come up with a retcon that needlessly explain the relationship between Naboo and the True Mandolorians:p

18. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Doylist perspective: Robert Hendrickson did not bother creating an outfit, thinking we wouldn't notice it anyway.

Watsonian perspective: Skirata recovered a batch of old Naboo uniforms on the black market. It's not that unbelievable, since years later even Stormtrooper armors could be found.

Iron_lord, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Afaik those Naboo Vests have been described as pretty common Blast Vest models anyway.

20. Mandalore The Uniter

Jul 17, 2007
    Yes, but every Frenchmen isn't wearing one just about every-time you see them either. Not to mention the architecture of Sundari, Mando paintings, engravings in the public square. Obviously there is a reason why they are clinging to that specific symbol, and it hearkens back to their past. Now how that past is being embraced is another debate, but obviously the New Mandos find it important enough to use as a major fashion/art/architectural statement in their society.

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003

Is this Oola's and Signor Ferrari's love child?

Sarge likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can we talk about Wookie fashion?

23. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Highlights.....lots & lots of highlights....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    They're the galaxy's most prolific nudists. What more need be said? :p

25. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005

[​IMG]
    Star Wars could use more hair flowers.