main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anakin Solo is overrated

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Each person approaches entertainment differently. I am one that can't and won't strip myself of my morals and beliefs when I watch/read 'entertainment'. I get it's rare but it's how I work. Things should be cut and dry but they aren't because people are grey to me. For me there is right and there is wrong. Not condoning violence doesn't make one weak as some seem to imply. I don't think much of anything has been executed well NJO on. Including both of the Solo brothers.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's not that, more that it renders those who hold the view as utterly unsuitable to be involved in warfare of any kind or even in a supporting role of say engineer or medic, as they'd still be contributing to the war they object to.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel like people are generalizing Jacen by suggesting that he's opposed to combat. He engages in it time and again. Just because he views it as even more of a last resort doesn't mean he should be labeled as a pacifist or "not condoning" violence.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think reducing the conflict to a less cataclysmic level would have worked better for Jacen's position. I mean post-DW, until TUF dropped a pile of power-ups on the Vong, the moral quandry hanging over the story is: If the Jedi and NR have to kill every Vong to win, should they? Certainly that's the path Shimmraa has committed the Vong to, but it's known to the readers at least, there's the Shamed Ones to factor in.

But then, at the end, there's that mind-boggling stat of 365 trillion dead.

I think the same story points could have been made, but more effectively - for stories, unlike finances, less can be more!

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Its kind of odd, as Luke throughout his career(and when in character) usually follows that same ideal as well. See Mindor, I think when it comes to Jacen I feel writers had to reemphasize his stance over and over again that it wore on the readers patience.

6. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Ben, your avatar makes me sad.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    As it should! Only by remembering him do we honour him.

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Dr. Peter Venkman: "Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. Remember that?"
    Dr. Egon Spengler: "That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me."

DigitalMessiah and Nobody145 like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    See? Shut up and do what you're told! :D

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  10. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    F.A.D.A forever!

11. Tahiri-Solo

Nov 21, 2001
    I haven't read any of the FOTJ books, I was really into the NJO books, then after SBS I just lost complete interest in Star Wars as a whole. Hoping the new movies sparks some interest like before, who knows. Anakin was my fav EU character, and while some might call him 'overrated' I think he was underrated in the end, never really accomplishing his full potential. Could have done way more with the character than have him die the way they did. Felt like they were desperate for ideas. Even the whole role swap with Jacen idea seems BLAH to me. I feel that Jaina is built up so much, she became overrated, to the point I cant stand her, so I don't even want to read LOTF or FOTJ...Yet I should be glad for a strong female character to enjoy watching grow. Shes someone I would like to shake and say "Whats wrong with you?!" and as for Jacen...eh...I liked him back when he would say "Wat to hear a joke?" Joke was on him in the end...
    May have to for the sake of knowing the entire story of whats been going on, read a bunch of books it seems. Im pitifully behind :D

F.A.D.A United!!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Tahiri-Solo

What was blah about the role swap? Just to clarify, Anakin would have had Jacen's personality in such a scenario, and this thread would be titled "Jacen Solo is overrated."

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. Tahiri-Solo

Nov 21, 2001
    I think it may have been more interesting if the swap had happened, but either way, Anakin was going to die, just later lol. In reality, a non force user Skywalker/Solo would be a refreshing change from the usual.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Elegos A'Kla struck a fairly good balance of "willing to try for peaceful solutions, but willing to fight when those don't work".

"Evil flourishes where it is not opposed, and those who are able to oppose it must to protect those who cannot protect themselves."

However - when he tried the peaceful solution with the Yuuzhan Vong - they murdered him.

15. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Yep. I was pretty bored of Jacen by about the middle of Balance Point, and I kind of laughed when he gave up the Force only to pick it back up 5 minutes later.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah he should have stopped for the whole series.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    You know they had a number of missteps and took a while getting to it but as of FotJ I like that Jaina was one who stepped up to the plate.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It was nice to see Anakin in Abyss but I was a Jacen fan. Still am :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd be interested to hear your perspective since I would guess most Jacen fans were unhappy with Caedus.

Are you a Jacen in NJO fan, or did you become a fan due to LOTF?

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Interesting question. I liked Jacen as a teen in NJO trying to find answers to big questions during a war. Traitor I loathed to start but on the 2nd reading something clicked with me which I fundamentally enjoyed. But I became more attached from DNT onwards, watching him take those little logical steps towards inevitably falling. I enjoyed the possibility that he was right, and enjoyed the grey he brought to Star Wars. And then I loved it when FotJ took the grey back out and handed us the consequences of his actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm really glad Anakin made an appearance in Abyss. :)

The first Star Wars novel (that wasn't technically geared toward young readers) I ever picked up was Revelation, and the first line in it is "My brother died in the Yuuzhan Vong War. Not Anakin, Jacen." That officially spoiled the death of Anakin for me, I'd never read NJO up until much later when I found Conquest and Rebirth at the library. If I hadn't found so much of his character in those books, he might not have remained my favorite Star Wars character for much longer after that.

Revanfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.