main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Imperials executed by the New Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediFett10, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    How many Imperials were executed by the New Republic? All I can think of is Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik & Bevel Lemelisk, the Chief Architect of the First Death.

Any others???

2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not many I think. A lot of Imperials ended up in the New Republic military and senate after all.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Those are the two biggest examples I can think of. Usually Imperials were just murdered outright, imprisoned, or swept under the rug.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Edit: by murder I mean civilians, generally. Soldiers and military targets aren't included, and the Rebels generally weren't in the habit of executing prisoners without trial.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The "Imperial civilians being murdered" thing mostly comes from Children of the Jedi:

Children of the Jedi Page 207:
    Silent in the narrow alleyway, Leia recalled the day that the Rebels had taken Coruscant. The Emperor's palace - that endless, gorgeous maze of crystal roofs, hanging gardens, pyramids of green and blue marble shining with gold ... summer quarters, winter quarters, treasuries, pavilions, music rooms, prisons, halls ... grace-and-favor residences for concubines, ministers and trained assassins - had been shelled hard and partially looted already, Rebel partisans having killed whichever members of the Court they could catch. These had included, if Leia had remembered correctly, not only the President of the Bureau of Punishments and the head of the Emperor's School of Torturers, but the court clothing designers and any number of minor and completely innocent servants of all ages, species and sexes whose names had never even been reported.

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    [face_laugh]

6. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Interesting!!! How many were sentenced to lifelong terms, and you were they??

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Bureau of Punishments sounds like something a Yuuzhan Vong would name his office table.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I remember the Essential Guide to Warfare had the Ackbar letter section about Juno Eclipse where he basically says that all mass murderers need a second chance. That was a weird bit.

I actually took those to be references to Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It already had the Sandman reference elsewhere.

9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If the Rebels did that when they conquered the palace, killing innocent servants of all ages, species and sexes, then it's no wonder there were neo-Imperial factions in the Senate!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I always liked that sobering bit of realism from COTJ.

11. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, Hambly's stuff had a lot of cool tidbits like that that I really miss.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, she's one of the few outside of WEG to have a good grasp of court politics, too. Makes COTJ worth reading for that alone.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Whatever happened to the head of the Ministry of Silly Walks? Was he ruthlessly murdered as well, or is he still a hop and a skip away somewhere?

14. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    He tripped and fell.

15. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Yeah, all the way into the undercity. His body wasn't recovered until Luke and the Wraiths visited Coruscant after it fell to the Yuuzhan Vong.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The key word there is "partisan." The New Republic didn't do that. Coruscanti irregulars did that.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Are we forgetting the ruthless targeted assassination mission and execution by the New Republic of His Dark Majesty Lord Trioculus?

[​IMG]

"Ahhhhhhh! Demon of darknesssss…"

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And what do you have to say about that? "Sixteen of the galaxy's worst criminals were also freed from the prison colony of Kessel and loosed on the Imperial City so that they could create a diversion to distract the Empire. The Rebels would later regret this; these criminals would go on to resurrect the Black Sun organization." (Wookieepedia, source: X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble)

Unleashing criminals on the population! Really! What the Heck, heroes?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A big part of it was getting political prisoners off Kessel as well. Still - even at the time people were thinking of it as "making use of a lesser evil to defeat a greater one".

Wouldn't surprise me if those were the Coruscanti irregulars in question.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't buy it. Partisans are irregular, but not unaffiliated. That just means they're operating in secret -- cells, guerrilla forces, etc as opposed to regular military. They're resistance forces. And note that the shelling and looting is described on the same sentence: you think some sort of civilian force was capable of shelling the Palace on its own?

It was the Rebels that did it.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

"Hey, let's provide military assistance to these Mujahideen freedom fighter guys. What could go wrong?" -- The Heroes

LelalMekha and Iron_lord like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Guys Star Wars is supported to be black and white!

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, you're thinking of stormtroopers.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Stupid auto correct. :(

25. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, the thing about shades of gray that some shades are far closer to black or white than others. I mean, Star Wars takes a lot from World War 2, and it isn't like the Allies were saints by any stretch of the imagination, nor was the Axis side bereft of noble individuals. I still think most people can agree on which side to route for there.

This from a guy who thinks that no Imperial atrocities count because they were done by *some faction of the Empire Jello doesn't like* :p

Esg and Iron_lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.