main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Uh oh, not liking some tweets from a few minutes ago. :(

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Is there someone's feed in particular I should look to?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I just searched his name. Also went to his fan page on facebook, and people on both are reporting he's died. I have no idea how credible this is, though.

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Oh man, I hope the death rumors are just rumors.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Mike Stackpole responded to his initial wall post about Allston collapsing, letting people know so that people who knew his family could call them by phone and inform them, so I think he knows Allston and Stackpole, and I think this is legit, unfortunately.

Edit: He's a game designer, and he even wrote a WEG adventure for SW. I assume he knew Allston through the game design industry.

8. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    That's the same text posted on the FB page DM linked too, and quickly looking, Fannon seems to be a fairly big RPG writer, so not a stretch that he knows Allston.

Damn. :(

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Tim Zahn announced this on his fb two minutes ago.

It is very sad to lose someone who has meant so much to so many. RIP Aaron Allston.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I don't want to believe it. I really don't want to believe it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Tim Zahn also confirmed it wasn't a hoax on his FB. :(

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    None of us do bud. None of us do. May The Force Be With You, Aaron Allston. Allston book marathon time. The EU will be a lesser place now without new books from him.

13. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Man, this is sad. It's always upsetting to lose a great author and a great person. It really is almost always this sudden and jarring. It never gets easier hearing things like this. Still don't believe that Tom Clancy is actually gone and now Allston. :( My thoughts are with his family. May The Force Be With You, Aaron.

14. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    RIP Mr. Allston. You were one of the greats. :(

15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Damn. Terrible news. And he was only 53. :(

RIP Aaron Allston. No other author made me laugh or cry so much during the same book like he did.

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm going to make a dedicated thread about Allston's passing, much like we did for Ann Crispin. Not because it's clogging up the thread or anything, but Allston deserves one, at the very least.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded!

18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    HEDGE just posted a thread, with a better source than I was working off of.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    yeah, I didn't hear the news until I saw the individual thread... it's got this strange sense of unreality about it.

20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    This one hurts. I don't know that anyone's Star Wars work was more straight up fun to read.

What impressed me most about Mr. Allston was watching him grow as a Star Wars author. Wraith Squadron felt, at first, like a pretty close cousin of Rogue Squadron, but with better jokes. By the end of his X-Wing run, Allston had given us some of the most nuanced and interesting characters in the EU - cowardly heroes, conflicted traitors, and an oddly eloquent Gamorrean. He was one of the few Bantam writers to not only make the jump to Del Rey, and went go from writing the niche X-Wing books to becoming them most (only?) reliable leg in the franchise-changing three author/three books/three trilogies model.

It would not be unjust to say that the Expanded Universe has lost its heart.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    For a while, his books were the only thing that kept me going through the post-NJO EU. I quit partway through LOTF, but it was actually with a bit of sadness that I didn't read his other contributions.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  22. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I quit the post-LOTF EU after Daala was made Chief of State - a hard choice, as this was the era I had literally grown up on. Then Allston goes and writes another Wraith book. I have never been less able to avoid buying a product.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Even with my antipathy and refusal to read most of LotFotJ, nothing was stopping me from reading Mercy Kill. That X-wing label is worth its weight in EU gold.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Force Smuggler and CooperTFN like this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Did I miss something? Because I am very confused as to why Jello has a New Republic symbol and X-Wings as his avatar. Did he lose a bet with Nick?

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Presumably because of Aaron Allston's passing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.