main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What do you LIKE about the originals

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Everything.

2. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    The story, the Imperial March, Vader's revalation to Luke in TESB, the Luke vs Darth Vader & Palpatine scenes, and Vader/Anakin's redemption. I love how the ending of ROTJ concludes the Whole Saga perfectly.

3. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    Basically everything

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    It would be so much easier to list the stuff I don't like, because listing the stuff I *do* like could take all day, but I'll try to keep it brief….

I like the practical effects, the music, Luke's speeder, the Millennium Falcon, and that cool box with the light saber in Obi Wan's hut. I like how imposing and evil Vader is, how sexy and cool Han Solo is, and how Leia seems to be one of the best shots in the entire trilogy (pay attention-- I'm serious!). I love how Yoda is adorable, yet he's also wise and commands respect. I love Luke and how he fils me with the inexplicable urge to wrap him in a big platonic hug. Chewie makes me wish my dog walked on his hind legs. I also wish I had a speeder bike, a light saber, and those cool binocular things Luke uses in ANH. I love Leia's bounty hunter disguise. And Luke's outfit in ANH looks so comfortable, I think if I owned it I would wear it exclusively on "Hangover Sundays". Taun-tauns are cool. Imperial Walkers might be even cooler.The carbonite scene is one of my favorite movie scenes ever. Not just in the trilogy, but EVER.

Oh, and Harrison Ford is so completely hot. I think I already alluded to that, but I thought it was worth bringing up again.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  5. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Beauty is . . . strategic imperfection.

That's one take on beauty I heard recently.

I think you can find that in both trilogies; the charm is how each trilogy -- in my opinion -- goes about expressing it.

I do like the sense of a fallen world that's presented in the OT; or that the OT presents (subtle distinction).

That and Luke's story. Which is also Anakin's story Part II. And the story of how the Jedi undergo a metamorphosis, or a transfiguration, or a rebirth.

That's some immensely powerful stuff happening right there. And it's told with something approaching an exultant, erotic charge. The imagery, the intercutting, the characters, the locales; and, of course, the music.

It's a much sparser and more rough-hewn trilogy than the PT, is the beloved OT, but that gives it a quiet power and a certain authority that might be lacking in the other. It's a bit more "zen"; and a bit more "punk". Punk-zen?

I can't say I enjoy it quite as much as the PT, all told, but I do appreciate that it's there, the wonderful gem of cinema it is, and the sense of it "holding on", in light of all the digital innovations of the PT and every other blockbuster of the past 10-20 years, well ...... that's quite moving in its own right, I think. And it truly is amazing to ponder all the photochemical achievements of the OT. What you see on the screen, in almost every instance, was achieved either in-camera or with classical optical techniques. Incredible.

And it really is a bit more "raw" than all the other blockbuster entertainments out there. Like: still! It seems incapable of being surpassed. Can anything truly measure up to Luke staring at the twin suns on Tatooine, hanging off the weather-vane on Cloud City, or realizing at the last second he is becoming his own father and choosing to resist the Emperor's taunts above in the DS II, thus leading to his father's own awakening? I think not.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Basically everything.

7. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Almost everything. Don't like the ewoks mainly. Everything else is great.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The fact that you have "Han shot first" in your sig suggests that you don't like everything :p

9. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014

I meant the OT in its untarnished version :p

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Now now... I would personally use the term "unimproved", however let's just treat this as a subjective thing and say unmodified :p

11. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Ok, the unmodified version ;)

Seagoat likes this.
  12. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Il put it this way folks [face_love]

Whats not to like ?!

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    Everything more or less. The story all comes together in such an incredible way over the course of the trilogy and it's all enhanced immensely by the writing, directing, acting and special effects, all of which blend together to make it all work.

Sarge likes this.
  15. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    I can't fault the OT in any shape or form... until 1997.... *shudders*

TOSCHESTATION and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    What is not to like? Everything was magical and is still awesome.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Everything. I have even grown over the years to appreciate the Ewoks. I was critical of them as a result of my immaturity in the past.

18. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    In the middle of watching ESB right now - at the scene where Han is carbon frozen. Chewbacca puts his hands on Leia's shoulders and she clings to him. So touching.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Then why are you here?

21. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    To give a statement

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  23. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    There are many things to love in the OT. I suppose I'll just list a few.

The incredibly well-developed characters. They feel real. They have real struggles. They joke around with each other and get mad at each other and flirt with each other like real people.

I love the classic story telling. The story can be boiled down to basically a young, coming-of-age boy setting off to save the galaxy with the help of a mentor. But the elements of the scifi genre and the western genre heavily inspired this film and definitely plays as a strength. These films are almost an homage to classic filmmaking in general. There are bits taken from movies such as The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly and films like Frankenstein by Universal.

The dramatic climax of the saga: the redemption of Vader. Is it not truly touching? It pulls at my heart strings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I was watching ANH last night and I really enjoyed the pacing. I know it's often regarded as a bit ponderous by today's standards but I really enjoyed the leisurely way in which the story unfolded and the lack of the apparent need to hurry up and have some action before the audience loses interest.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ponderous is a good thing. The current generations have largely grown very impatient with things like depth and decent story telling. The OT has that. It's much more *real* in essence than the PT.

fuzzbox77, Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.