main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    God Bless Aaron and his family. May his Memory Be Eternal

2. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    No, EA has power now, they have a year long deal, SWTOR is not going to be retconned, it simply won't be allowed, SWTOR has turned out to be a massive success, micro-transactions alone have gained them $138 million in one year, that is not including the subscribers.

SWTOR and the Old Sith Wars as a whole is likely protected, you really think that the Story Group is going to damage relations with EA and BiOWare, now that they have given them ten years of exclusive rights to make Star Wars games? BiOWare is likely going to be a big developer of future games, basically negating their entire Star Wars works as a whole is not a good move in any sense, EA might like money but by retconning SWTOR, they have retro-actively shut down Star Wars: The Old Republic, something which as I stated above, is making them ridiculous amounts of money.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    And yet Korriban has still be retconned... and its a huge part of the game.

Unless SWTOR repays the voice actors to redo every Korriban line and/or has an entire expansion that adds Moriband and explains why Korriban now isn't the Sith homeworld then it breaks canon. Simple as that.

In either case it will cost EA a ton of money to fix it to keep it canon and that's just from one name change... imagine if Taris now gets a new story of the Madalorian history gets another rewrite. Now why not just let the conflictions add up and claim its still canon, then one day later say end of 2015 just announce the game will close down in a year, and reveal then that a new MMO is about to replace it that is canon and tied in with the new canon. This way EA still milks it for all its worth over the next two years and soon will be able replace it with a new Kotor like single player game that ties in with its new SWTOR like game, this way the single player game will drive consol players to the mmo (that or this new mmo game is compatible with Xbox One and PS4, if blizzard can get Diablo on xbox 360 then EA can get a new mmo on Xbox one/PS4)

4. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Ok the spin I'm hearing about this is that "Korriban" is a moon of "Moraband" of the Sith Homeworld. Don't know if it confirmed but some Star Wars fans are spinning it this way. Korriban is the graveyard for Legendary Sith and the Training grounds while "Moraband" may just be the main planet. But people have to understand The EU is not Law. Lucas only let stuff slide to keep the mythology going but the official cannon is and will always be the movies 1st then everything else.

This sounds reasonable. Someone posted this in the comments on one of the articles I read.

The Kulvax Sisters likes this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, there have been weirder retcons. Having Korriban be a graveyard/training moon around Moraband is something that can be plausible. Again, I'm not upset either way - I just thinkKorriban is a better name than Moraband, is all.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Sith Master (on Korriban referring to new object in the sky): That's no moon, we're the moon and that's the planet now that the retcons have appeared.

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    "That's no moon... we're the moon."

[face_laugh]

Dra---, T-R- and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It sounds interesting, but it's likely Moraband is the new Korriban.

Ryus and TheBBP like this.
  9. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Korriban was a Sith Homeworld, Ziost was a Sith Homeworld, Dromund Kaas was a Sith Homeworld, Malachor V was a potential Sith Homeworld, what's one more?

Immortiss and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Korriban hasn't been retconned, unless there is an out and out retcon of korriban has a whole, then it isn't a retcon, just add Moraband to the other four Sith Homeworlds.

But you still simply under-estimate the undertaking required for a new MMO, it took over-all, seven years for SWTOR to go from conception to release and SWTOR is still one of EA's biggest money makers, whatever way you want to spin it, shutting down SWTOR will not go over well.

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    No Korriban was the Sith Homeworld, the rest where later capitals of their empire as they moved around and fleed the Jedi and the Republic.

Dra--- and TheBBP like this.
  12. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    SWTOR could have been so good as a single player RPG. That said, the roadmap for the game had them saying that we will see flashpoints on the Korriban and Tython. Maybe this is their opportunity to get rid of Korriban and move on to Moraband through story?

All in all, I am hoping that Lucasfilm/Disney wants to do an MMO in their new and upcoming galaxy and that TOR either takes a back seat or simply gets closed to make it happen.

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    You're looking at it as OOU, I am talking in-universe, Korriban was the Sith Homeworld until they decided to leave Korriban for Ziost and called that the new Homeworld, Dromund Kaas is according to the Sith Emperor the lost Homeworld, Malachor V was treated as a Homeworld they could fall back on during the Great Hyperspace War.

Did the Sith Purebloods evolve and originate on Korriban? yes, but unless they out-right state that the Sith species originated on Moraband, there is little that can't just be tweaked and adapted to fit Moraband in.

14. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    EA is going to laugh in their faces if they ask them to do that, which by the way, due to the exclusive rights contract, EA can just flat out say no and continue earning almost $150 mill a year on their current MMO through just Micro-transactions.

15. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

You are talking about EU. None of which is safe at the moment. Be prepared for Moraband to be THE Sith homeworld. Be happy if it is not.

Ryus likes this.
  16. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Again, work-arounds have been done and could be done, remember when Lucas stated the 'Sith Knights' originated from Ruin, etc... and that was only 2,000 years ago, well we all know the EU survived that.

17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012

"Work arounds" are exactly why the EU as it stands should be scrapped in place of a new continuity. Considering that this is the first time that we have heard of Moraband, that very well might be happening. I think that these lost episodes of TCW are setting the stage for that and that Rebels will round some more things out.

You can't lose sight of the fact that it has been repeatedly said that canon is ONLY what is in the movies and in TCW. Now TCW is calling the Sith Homeworld "Moraband". That is canon.

Mystery Roach and Ryus like this.
  18. ararha

ararha Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 25, 2013
    There has been 0 instances where Lucas has signed away to the rights and allowed another company to do whatever they want with star wars. You have not seen the contract so you cant claim what you have just done. If you think EA has the upperhand in the scenario then im not sure what your thinking. Lucas/Disney will ALWAYS have the rights to the material. And im sure you know that every piece of word in the dialogue written by the SWTOR writers must go through lucasfilm to be approved.

TheBBP and Ryus like this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    So let me get his straight... a politican suddenly pulls out a new text book and a world now qualifies as a new homeworld, sorry the lost original homeworld, to those masses in a GFFA. Yet you who knows better accepts their new history as fact... :oops:sorry but that is really something else.
    [​IMG]

Again the Sith have only one Homeworld in SWTOR, yet a new seperate one that is confirmed canon in Rebels and you don't think there might be a problem here...

I suppose you'd believe Palpatine telling you he's bringing peace too if you're that gullable.

If they want to keep playing in a GFFA's sandbox they shut up and do what they're told. If they do what they're told they lose some capital now but gain tons in the long run due to the exclusive rights to make Star Wars games (you think they'd risk losing Battlefront 3 over SWTOR, lets see $150 million a year from SWTOR vs a potential $1billion dollar game Battlefront 3, wait a moment... this is a hard one to figure out which is better for them). Plus now they have the benifit of knowing how to make a MMO and therefore shouldn't run into the years of glitches they had before. Finally even if they get told to pack it up they got years to do it in... the money they make from that over the 2-3 yeas to shut down in will more than pay for a new and better Star Wars MMO that can be free to play from the start (hence earning them more money since that model proved it worked better).

TheBBP likes this.
  20. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    are people actually saying they can't enjoy a VIDEO GAME if a name differs from the movies? Seriously? [face_laugh]

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh no! :(
    After reading a little, it seems he suffered a fatal heart attack at a scifi con. Very, very sad, but at least he was enjoying himself to the last.
    My thoughts goes out to his loved ones.

22. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I think if the Old Republic era was ever going to change it would be if they suddenly green lit a KOTOR movie.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If I play KotoR again (or more likely, KotoR II), I'll just imagine that Korriban underwent a name change (which isn't at all unrealistic considering the time frames). And that's that. I don't understand the outrage and that despite the fact that KotoR is my favorite EU.

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Agreed. I can enjoy the X-Wing franchise for what it is, Bounty Hunter for what it is, KotR for what it is, and TFU for what it is. The fact that these don't represent the moie universe in no way prevents me from enjoying playing them any more than playing a Marvel game, which doesn't fit comic or movie universes.

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed.

Once and a while, I'll blow the dust off my XBOX and play KoTR. Same with TFU; not bothered it's not canon anymore, can still enjoy the game for what it's worth.

T-R- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.