main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I thought it was because he sacrificed himself for the greater good. He achieved a state of total selflessness, like Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin. And given that the deal appears to be that you sacrifice your physical body to the Force in exchange for an incorporeal one, I wonder if we won't be seeing the Father again in ghost form.

purplerain likes this.
  2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Daughter did as well but didn't vanish.

purplerain likes this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    We were?

Or someone cremates you.

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I hope that what we're told in Apocalypse gets contradicted. What Apocalypse told us contradicts the intent behind the TCW episodes.
    I've wondered if Father is the Shaman of the Whills.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Hm, yeah, I forgot about that. Maybe there is something to this notion that balance is required is well.

And if you subscribe to the view that the Daughter represents the Jedi Order, it fits very well. After all, the members of the Old Jedi Order were by and large very compassionate individuals, but none of them achieved what the Jedi of the OT did. Perhaps the missing element is indeed a balancing amount of passion--achieved by Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin because of their mutual attachment to Luke. Qui-Gon achieved an incomplete form of the technique, and his lack of vanishing body indicates to me that he may not have possessed quite the necessary balance, perhaps because he was killed unexpectedly and, as an ardent follower of the Living Force, wasn't yet ready to relinquish his physical body to the Netherworld. Maybe his attachment to the Chosen One aided in his ability to stay anchored to the living realm in partial form. This is supported by Yoda's first contact with Qui-Gon's ghost coming during an emotional link with Anakin.

e:

But remember that Qui-Gon only came back as a voice, and was only able to take form as an apparition in the Force-amplifying realm of Mortis (whose very name suggests it is closer to the Netherworld than most places).

In fact, I think I half recall a quote from Lucas explicitly linking these two things. I can't find it now, though, and I could be wrong.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    "Become a wave he has, Yoda thought. A wave without a shore."

7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
  8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    One line which I found unfortunate was

"The voice I hear does not come from within, but speaks from beyond."

I suppose this is prior to Dark Rendezvous. :p

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    You'd think a guy with ears that big would be able to make up his mind where a sound is coming from.

darthosaka likes this.
  10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Could work out that way. Dark Rendezvous isn't supposed to be until 19 BBY, and the last time TCW put up a flag on the timeline, it was still in 20 BBY.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yoda is a lot more accepting of Qui-Gon's voice in Dark Rendezvous, but I was mostly commenting on Yoda's metaphysical understanding of the situation and the differentiation of the voice coming from beyond or from within -- Qui-Gon says "I am part of the Living Force, Yoda." Well, what's the Living Force?

Ulicus likes this.
  12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Or Nihon.

tjace likes this.
  13. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I would think the Living Force is the Force that Obi-Wan described, an energy field created by all living things. Qui-Gon lives on in the Force because, luminous beings that we are, he discovered that one does not need a physical body in order to be a living thing.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Whoops. My computer seems to be trying to kill me.

15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Triple post even! Sorry. Very embarrassing.

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The Ones already are Celestials. Do they really have to be Whills too? Is everyone Celestial now?

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Qui-Gon wasn't the only Jedi who failed to disappear, was later cremated, and came back as a ghost...

[​IMG]

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hate asking rhetorical questions.

Ulicus likes this.
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

According to Lucas, Anakin vanished off-screen.

Iron_lord and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    A summary of the "Anakin vanished" quotes (plus one that can be taken as "Anakin didn't")

The Essential Guide to The Force: p85:

After my father died on the Death Star his body vanished. I brought his armor, and his mechanical remains, to Endor and burned them. It seemed like the right thing to do. Maybe the best thing. The idea of burial just felt wrong. I could only imagine what it must have been like for him, trapped within that armor for so many years. I guess I hoped the flames would somehow liberate him.

following a reference to him doing that, in Champions of the Force.

RoTJ commentary, I've been told a few times, at least implies he does not, and there have been arguments that "it doesn't make sense to just cremate the armor".

There's also a published script entry, which says he burned Anakins body, not just the armor.

137 EXT ENDOR FOREST - NIGHT 137

Luke sets a torch to the logs stacked under a funeral pyre where
    his father's body lies, again dressed in black mask and helmet.
    He stands, watching sadly, as the flames leap higher to consume
    Darth Vader -- Anakin Skywalker.

I think the one of the first semi-G-canon sources to hint that it was just the armor Luke was burning, was the RoTJ Radio Drama, in 1996:

"I burn his armor and with it the name of Darth Vader. May the name of Anakin Skywalker be a light that guides the Jedi for generations to comeā€¦ rest well, father. The Force is with you."

And when I googled the subject, I got:

According to Steve Sansweet of Lucasfilm and the script for the Return of the Jedi Special Edition, Anakin's body disappeared at death in the same way as Obi-Wan's and Yoda's bodies.
    with links to StarWars.com forums (which unfortunately are now defunct).

As well as:

http://forum1.aimoo.com/thehomepage...d-Anakin-disappear-when-he-died-1-875118.html
    According to Pabs on hyperspace today, George Lucas insisted that the starwars.com databank and the encylopedia state that Anakin disappear.

darthosaka likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "This little scene where he burns his father's body, it wasn't originally in the script. But I decided it gave more closure in terms of Luke's relationship to his father, letting go of his father. Even though later on, as we get to the end of the movie, as he joins the Force, he was able to retain his original identity, it's because of Obi-Wan and Yoda, who learned how to do that: how to join the Force at will and then retain your identity." - ROTJ DVD commentary, 2004

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    S'okay, bro. I knew what you meant. *pats back*

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    orly?

I guess it's still preferable to being involved in a Lucas contradictionthon.

24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I'd personally take an explicit directive from Lucas more seriously than some loose language he used in a DVD commentary, but I guess it's technically ambiguous then, maybe?

I just wanted to talk about Mortis. :(

darthosaka likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I want to talk about it too but it seems like it will just turn into a debate (I'm afraid Lucas might have contradicted himself about it)!

Anyway, my point is the Living Force is the Force generated by life, and if Qui-Gon is part of the Living Force, he lives in all life now through the Force energy that they generate. He's a wave in the Force, so to speak. That is, if you want to envision the Force through that sort of a metaphor. So one might argue that the voice of Qui-Gon very much did come from within.

I guess we could get really technical and suppose that maybe these Force ghosts are actually part of the Cosmic/Unifying Force, which might be a transcendent aspect of the Force and thus "beyond," but the EU currently seems to hold the opinion, or rather Luke does, that Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda were part of the Living Force, whereas Vergere was part of the Unifying Force as an apparition. This might change that, but Qui-Gon did say he was part of the Living Force.