main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I meant the in-universe origin. Wookieepedia isn't clear on that.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh Unknown, though possible it was another seed of Yuuzhan'tar

purplerain likes this.
  3. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    That would be an awesome retcon.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    It says on Wookieepedia that it was once an innocent and beautiful blue-green world. Interesting...

6. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    What does everyone think of the Republic/Imperial Commando novels? I can get all 5 of them used at Powell's. I feel like I want to read Order 66, but there's something about getting books that sprang from a video game.

7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The books themselves are pretty good and you can hardly consider them video game tie ins -- they follow a different group of clones although the game squad does appear. The novels have good character development and a good plot. Be warned: while the books are good, they're bad Star Wars books. By the end of the second book the author begins to introduce an anti-Jedi bias. It becomes stronger as the series progresses. You can almost justify it with the clones (not quite, but I'll explain that soon), but she even has the Jedi agreeing that the Jedo are bad and using the clones as a slave army. There are many problems with that. First of all the Jedo had Jo choice leading the clones. If they didn't the army would have still been deployed. Also, they were the ones to see their humanity and care for them. If anything the situation of the clones became better because of the Jedi. I do agree that the clones can he considered a slave army. I highly doubt Palatine or the senators were concerned with their plight. And well with Plalpatine being a secret Sith, you can bet the clones were slaves. But to blame the Jedi is ridiculous. If anything theyy were good people stuck in and trying to make a bad situation better. Now about the commandos: it is quickly established that they have been raised within the Mandalorian culture by their trainers and Mandalorians are the last group to hate the Jedi. While they often fought, it was because the Mandalorians respected their fighting skills, not out of hate. So if anything they'd be more likely to find fighting with Jedi an honor. So the anti-Jedi sentiment is out of place. Still, despite these things I do reccomend the books. There is a lot to like about them, especially once you get past the portrayal of the Jedi. It is far less bothersome if you know about it in advance. So I would suggest giving these books a try -- especially the first two.

pronker and DarthBarrister like this.
  8. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks. I'll grab them next time I'm there. Funny thing is that there are plenty of copies. A month or so ago, I watched some woman park herself and a cart in front of the Star Wars shelf. I was looking at some of the reference material, but was about to move over to the novels. Anyhow, she parked herself there and really thinned out the collection. And it hasn't been re-stocked too much. But for whatever reason, there are plenty of the Commando novels.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah... like JediKnight75 mentioned they have a certain reputation. [face_whistling] Though Hard Contact really is rather good.

10. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Follow up: How are the Clone Wars novels on the whole?

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Imho Shatterpoint is the only one that is really worth getting, though Yoda Dark Rendezvous and MedStar have their moments, the Rest is just meh or really bad. The Dark Horse Clone Wars Comics are very good though, so you might want to look into getting those.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Definitely recommend the MedStar books, especially if you're a MASH fan. I liked Shatterpoint but wasn't crazy about Dark Rendexvous.

13. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I loved those books. Delved into the thoughts of non-Jedi about the war.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have heard some comments that the med-tech used in MedStar is surprisingly primitive for the setting; does other share this impression?

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The original Clone Wars novels and comics were awesome. Read them!

16. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    In terms of novels, are you talking the Karen Traviss books?

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Shatterpoint, Cestus Deception, Medstar, Jedi Trial, Yoda:Dark Rendezvous, Labyrinth of Evil and the Republic Commando books.

pronker and DarthBarrister like this.
  18. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks. The consensus seems to be to go with all of them, so I'll do that.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    JT isn't that well received but I liked it. So just try them all and see what you think.

DarthBarrister likes this.
  20. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Yeah, I'm just about wrapped up with The Unifying Force, so I'm going back to Cloak of Deception and moving forward from there.

21. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    It seems that you have already gotten plenty of answers, but I'll still add my opinion. I think they're all good, except Jedi Trial. Shatterpoint is a well written horrors of war story that delves into what it means to be a Jedi durring war. Cloak of Deception is an average book, but it's worth picking up due to its focus on Obi-Wan. The Medstar Duology is a lot of fun and has great characters. Seeing the medical aspect of the Clone Wars is great. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous has a great portrayal of both Yoda and Dooku. We get to see more of their relationship and thought process. It is a must read just for that aspect alone, but it also introduces some good characters. Lastly, Labyrinth of Evil is the best portrayal of Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship. Finally see how good of friends they are, which adds depth to ROTS. The novel also deepens the movie in other ways. Honestly, if AOTC was made into episode 1 and this book was the second move the PT would have been a whole lot stronger. If you were to only read on Clone Wars book it would have to be this one.

Now Jedi Trial: it's such an important book, but the writing is absolutely terrible. If you can get past that I would hesitantly reccomend the book. It has its moments and deals with an important topic.

I too would suggest reading the Clone Wars comics (the three omnibuses). They work well worth the novels and together provide a great view of the Clone Wars. The comics characterize Anakin well and give some good insight into other characters. They're a must read even if you're not into comics. I should not that it is kind of difficult to read the comics and novels in chronological order. More so because of structure. If you follow the timeline in the back of the books you will go from Anakin being knighted and then read a story that involves him as a padawan. I guess that's not a big deal but it would bother me. If you want to avoid that, put off Jedi Trial amd Yoda until right before you read the Rendilli comic arc. That should fix that problem.

After you read all of that read the ROTS novelization, if you haven't already. It builds perfectly off Labyrinth of Evil and improves upon every aspect of the movie.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I assume you mean Cestus Deception ? Though Cloak of Deception really is a great book. ;)

23. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes I meant Cestus Deception. :) Cloak of Deception is one of my favorites. It's definitely not average. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't already.

24. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Luceno gets an automatic spot on my list.

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm not one to go along with everyone else, but I started the EU with Zahn. And he's my favorite EU author. The stories are great, the "feel" is great... well, t seems lame to say a book is good by saying it has the "feel", but anyway, definitely give those a shot. The X Wing series is good, as long as you root for the Rebels.

Iron_lord and DarthBarrister like this.