main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm not sure how this Indy/Marion thing came up, but according to official character ages, she was 16 and he was 26 in 1925 when their tryst(s) occurred.

I looked up age of consent laws and attitudes from the 1920s, and the question of whether or not Marion would've been legally able to consent to the relationship is dependent on where they were when the relationship began.

Either way, though, Marion's statement seems to be referring to the morality of their relationship as much as, if not moreso than, the legality of it.

2. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    We could say that a 50 year old who gets a hotel room so he/she can have sex with a 25 year old is morally wrong as well.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Why? They're both adults.

4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Morality is just a point of view. Some people's morality levels are completely different than others.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK.

Child molestation is considered wrong in pretty much any society that considers children as people as opposed to property.

Other than the meddlesome puritanical types who just like to make stupid arbitrary rules about sex among consenting adults--IOW, types whose opinions are not worth noting in 2014--who has a problem with a 50-year-old and a 25-year-old?

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  7. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

There is a difference between what is moral and what is legal. And though I don't have any issue with it (as I have gotten involved with a lady 23 years older than me in the past) there are those who do think doing stuff like that is morally wrong.

8. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    The comment about adults relates to statute, I'm sure, not morality. That said, 16 is "legal" in some places.

9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    what has this thread become

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't doubt that there are people who think that a 25-year age difference among consenting adults is morally wrong but I also don't care about the opinions of people who need to mind their own business.

As far as Marion, I had always assumed that she was referring to Indy taking advantage of the teenage-girl naivety about relationships lasting "forever" when he knew he had no intention of sticking with her.

The "moral" thing to do in such a situation would be to discourage her from falling in love with him by being up front about not returning those feelings.

Her age had little to do with it other than the fact that she was young enough to believe in "happily ever after". An older woman would have a more realistic viewpoint.

But she could have easily been 18 or even 20.

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Pants

12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Lol, hey at least conversations like this give people a break from the constant bickering and complaining about how the precious EU is being ruined.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Didn't this all start with whether Harrison Ford was going to show up or should show up in the ST?

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

I'm just hoping it didn't originate from someone actually believing what starwars7 news says.

15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Alright everyone, back on track. This thread is not designed to discuss Indy/Marion love life theories or anything else of that nature. Move discussion back to only relevant Episode VII & EU related events.

--Adm. Nick

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, to wrestle the topic back into the ballpark: I doubt they'll be a "lead in novel" to Episode 7, if only because novels seem to take quite a bit of time and apparently everything publishing knows about Ep. 7 is "we don't know nothing!" so I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume by the time "they know nothing" to "we know something" it would just give them time to put together a novelization.

However, on the flipside, I'm gonna put odds down on good chance of there a lead-up comic mini-series by Marvel in let's ballpark it at September 2015, if only because they've done "prequel" comics to almost every single movie of theirs that has been released for a solid decade, even if it's made by Marvel studios or not (there was an Amazing Spider-Man prequel {which I bought because it had Emma Stone on the cover}, an Avengers prequel mini, etc.) I think there was a Tron prequel mini-series too which is a franchise by Disney.

So, yes, my vote is Star Wars Episode 7 comic book lead in mini-series before the movie is released, yes. Star Wars Episode 7 novel lead in before the movie is released, no.

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    hell

I'm going to be really sad if Fassbender isn't in this film.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Marvel, please don't waste someone like Remender or Hickman on some lame movie tie-in comic. Throw it to Rob Liefeld, or something.

19. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    Here's a Pablo Hidalgo tweet I thought might be of interest here (sorry if it's already been posted):

https://24.media.tumblr.com/39a7931d78369bf09a76f4443ff0d7ab/tumblr_mxtvicoUdn1sh5qqjo2_1280.png

I might be interpreting this wrongly, but doesn't this tweet imply that the EU in its entirety is officially considered non-canon, and that future novels that are not novelizations of movies will also be non-canon?

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No, because they said after 2015, everything–novels, comics, etc.–made under the Disney banner will all be the same level of canon.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

I think LucasFilm's policy has always been -- since the foggy window foreword or whatever in the SW Encyclopedia -- that only the films were gospel or canon, but that the Expanded Universe existed as its own continuity in which everything was "canon" to that EU continuity. When there was only Episode IV, V, and VI, everything was peachy, and when Episode I, II, and III came out there were some issues but they were mostly smoothed out through various rationalizations, e.g. Jaster Mereel, Honoghr years. When Lucas started storytelling in the SW universe much more frequently with TCW it became a huge issue.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And that's the story of how Pablo Hidalgo came to betray the EU he had long been a champion of.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    PABLO WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED US!?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I actually wasn't THAT dramatic. :p But I do think he abandoned the EU and left its fans high and dry.

25. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    You really think Disney and Lucas would declare older tie-in material COMPLETELY non-canon? People who have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on books, comics, games, figures....etc, that they would want to lose that part of the fan-base?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.