main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga PT Yoda or OT Yoda?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Polydroxol, Mar 1, 2014.

?

Which version of Yoda do you prefer?

1. PT Yoda

40.4%
  2. OT Yoda

59.6%
  1. Polydroxol

Polydroxol Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2014
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    OT Yoda by a landslide. Has his moments in the PT, but the ESB introduction to the character is of course funny and far warmer IMO. He adds so much to the force and the Jedi in this film, the movies really wouldn't be the same without it.

3. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    OT Yoda is wise, and not nearly the idiot he was in the PT. OT Yoda would have seen through Palpatine's "disguise." OT Yoda gave good advice,

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I prefer the entirety of his character. He was a very learned and wise person already in TPM, but we still get to see him make a few mistakes and learn from them. That makes his story interesting.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and FRAGWAGON like this.
  5. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    No contest at all. OT Yoda all of the way - he had more emotion in his voice, more depth and even conveyed far more expression from his foam latex/fibreglass self via multiple operators and Stuart Freeborn's wonderful sculpt. Simply something amazing what CGI couldn't accomplish.

PT or OT? It's like comparing Tom Kane to Frank Oz.

Sarge and Garrett Atkins like this.
  6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    PT Yoda and OT Yoda are different beasts yet the same character. I can't say if I have a preference, although Attack of the Clones Yoda happens to be my least favorite because the CG model lacks subsurface scattering, or the simulation of the translucency through flesh, which I admit is a huge nitpick. Empire Yoda takes the cake of course, through sheer masterful puppetry.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it isn't.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Sorry, PT Yoda didn't have that magic in comparison. His duel with Dooku (and Oz's screams) was the funniest thing i'd ever seen in the cinema until I saw Elf the following year...

*runs to grab another can of Stella from the fridge*

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Your opinion aside, Tom Kane had nothing to do with PT Yoda, therefore your comparison is wrong.

10. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Don't you think it's a bit obvious that Tom Kane isn't Yoda in the PT. It's contrast and comparison - my take on PT-Y is that it doesn't gel (kind of like Tom Kane doing Yoda's voice in TCW and those ridiculous Vodafone commercials that are sheer overkill - it doesn't sound right, kind of like modern Muppets). Opinions aside - don't take everything literally Alexrd.

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    For me, it's OT Yoda by a wide margin. His scenes on Dagobah in TESB and ROTJ are among my favourite in all of the saga. His wisdom, humility and humour are beautifully captured and the performances of everyone involved with bringing him to the screen are gold medal winning. Yoda in the PT is okay. A bit too much of a good thing at times and his performances as action hero rob him of much of his mystique in my opinion.

Valairy Scot and Yanksfan like this.
  12. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    OT Yoda. Why? Are you @%*#ing serious?

windu4 likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    OT Yoda. No contest. He's much more what the Jedi were suggested as being. I liked very much he didn't *need* a lightsabre to define the fact he was a Jedi. I liked the fact he did not seek or condone war. PT Yoda basically broke every standard OT Yoda set. No consistency of character at all.

Yanksfan likes this.
  14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't have a problem with PT Yoda using a lightsabre and engaging in war per se. I'm happy with the idea that some of the wisdom conveyed in the OT was learned through his own earlier mistakes. It was the execution which left me a bit lukewarm at times.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  15. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    THIS

windu4 likes this.
  16. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

This. Yoda in ESB and ROTJ showed that you don't have to be a strapping six footer who swashbuckles his way through adventures to be the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy.

PT Yoda undermined this, and made it entirely baffling that he went into exile on Dagobah, as if you only get one crack at trying to oust the Emperor then get to sack it off and retire.

windu4, Sarge and Oberst Hans Landa like this.
  17. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I like both equally, so too bad we can only choose one. It's just an awesome character, no matter the circumstances he finds himself in. The OT Yoda had a calmer and a bit more lively demeanour about him, which suited his environment. The PT Yoda was not much different really, at least until the war started. That's when he became a bit more of a warrior figure, but I don't have a problem with that. I justify this change in character (if you can call it that) to the fact that the circumstances demanded him to adapt. People can change and I guess even Yoda can, despite all his experience.

I personally feel (when looking at the chronological storyline) that his character grew to be much wiser than he was. He even said it himself that he has failed. Just my view of things though.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  18. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    OT Yoda, but I don't think that PT Yoda is necessarily a different character, he's the same person operating under different circumstances.
    If it's puppet vs CGI, puppet all the way. Even the outtakes from ESB & ROTJ look like a real, living creature speaking and interacting with Mark Hamill and the director.
    (TPM puppet Yoda was a bit of a fail, though - can't really object to the latest update)

OT Yoda is very much the embodiment of 'older and wiser' - although you'd expect someone 880 years old couldn't become too much wiser after another 20 years. He obviously had it way too easy for the previous 800.;)

19. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Whatever happened to the actual TESB puppet? Does anyone know?

20. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    OT Yoda by a landslide.

PT Yoda was not the brightest bulb in the lamp. Just dumb lol. He could not see Palpatine's true nature (and when he suspected it, he did nothing to follow up on it).He sees Anakin upset and seething about his life and how he seems angry, depressed, anxious, etc. and just sits there trying to spout off some advice that just seems to make him worse. I could go on. Sure you can blame being "clouded by the Dark Side" but it's the excuse throughout all three prequels.

Plus, OT Yoda never seemed to ever need a lightsaber or even condone using one unless very necessary. "Your weapons, you will not need them." He just seemed above all of the "great warrior" jargon. To me, the PT Yoda seemed like a different character. Like his dumber, easily confused cousin.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    OT Yoda without a shadow of a doubt.
    Philosophical, open and less arrogant; OT Yoda might have helped to prevent Anakin turning to the darkside and been a better tutor. PT Yoda was extremely evasive and obnoxious at times, especially in TPM.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OT Yoda.

Although PT Yoda fighting Dooku was funny. Especially with people saying "Go go Kermit go!" in the theater.

23. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I hated how arrogant he was, he should have been the wise Jedi, separated from the rest (kind of like Qui-Gon)

24. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    PT Yoda.
    In episodes 1-3 Yoda is a wise leader of the Jedi order, a warrior in case of need, counsilor and, in a way, a politician.
    I don't like manipulative kill your father OT Yoda... In comparison to the PT one, of course.

25. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Is both not an option?