main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I just want them to make a new X-Wing and/or TIE fighter game. With today's graphics and tech, that would be beyond awesome.

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm not an EU guy at all, and I don't like some of the things that have happened in the EU that I am aware of (dead Chewie, cloned Palps, and so on).....

BUT

I have always said that I looked at the EU as a set of "What if this happened......" for folks who wanted more stories. When the idea of the ST came into play, and the apparent likelihood that those stories would be discounted, I was quite surprised at how many people seemed to be upset that these stories and events would be nullified. The part of this that surprised me the most, and maybe this is because of how I view the EU, is that the folks who were upset by this were acting as if there houses were being raided and all EU product was being confiscated and burned.

The books, and games, and whatever else there was still exist. If you enjoy them, great. They are still there.

When we get Rebels, the TWC bonus stuff, and most importantly the ST, I'm sure there will be tons of conversation and debate over which is better, what came from what EU source, and what should or shouldn't have changed. All areas of the evolution of Star Wars (old drafts, original outlines, interviews, and so on) have been used for discussion in the past, and this will be no different.

SO

At the end of the day, it looks like the EU will largely become what I always thought it to be. "What ifs".

However, it will always exist and it will always be a part of Star Wars for those who have enjoyed it as well as those who have not.

:cool:

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    While I agree with you 100%, my favorite video game of all time is the original sit down Star Wars arcade game complete with wire frame graphics.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah, I always wondered if they were this upset when TESB nullified The Splinter of the Mind's Eye, or when the original Marvel Star Wars comics were ignored. Or when the Droids cartoon and Ewok movies were contradicted.

This rewriting EU has happened since the beginning.

LunarMoth likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TESB didn't exactly "nullify" Splinter - books published after TESB have included the events from both - like The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader.

Ignoring something is not the same as nullifying it - especially since later works frequently didn't ignore Marvel SW material - but made use of it.

6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Later works did contradict Marvel SW material, even if they used aspects of it. That can't be denied. It is also most likely what is going to happen to the current EU.

Splinter was nullified by TESB. Luke did not fight Vader before Bespin.

Granger likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Where's that stated in the TESB movie?

It's worth keeping in mind that Lucas was rather heavily involved in the writing of Splinter - going by the Story Conference transcripts in Star Wars Insider 145 and 146.

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Are you serious? The opening crawl. Yoda talking about Luke facing Vader. Vader not mentioning it during their duel.

If Vader fought Luke in SotME, don't you think he would've mentioned the whole father angle then? Or that he would've mentioned almost killing Luke and Leia during the duel in TESB? Or the fact that Luke cut off his arm?

SotME was written to be filmed as a low budget sequel to SW if SW wasn't successful. When SW was a hit, SotME was replaced as a sequel by TESB. No concepts from SotME survived into TESB.

DarthBreezy and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader did manage to provide a justification for Vader's attempting to kill Luke - he's being strongly influenced at that point by the proximity of the crystal.

And at that point, he doesn't know he is Luke's father - the TR&FoDV book went with the Special Edition version of the TESB conversation with the Emperor - where the Emperor reveals the nature of the relationship, and Vader says "How is that possible?!"

These days, Splinter can be thought of as an "interquel" story - akin to Shadows of the Empire.

And shortly before the prequel movies began coming out - Splinter was rereleased- with Lucas himself writing the foreword.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    One EU book retconning another EU book does not mean that the movies don't contradict them. What was seen onscreen does not support the attempted retcon in the Vader book

Which is the same as we have with Rebels and the ST.

EU works have always been altered by what happened on screen. EU works have continually been retconned and/or abandoned because of what happens on screen or in other EU works, so changing a planet's name is no big deal

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All of this retconning is going to make my head explode.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe when Wookieepedia explodes it will relieve some pressure Internets. More post count building might help too.

Darth_Pevra and T-R- like this.
  13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Revenge of the Sith is the only Star Wars film to receive a PG-13 rating from the MPAA, I am hoping one or more of the sequels get that rating as well.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, since when did the MPAA rating have anything to do with the Expanded Universe? :confused: Is there about to be bloodshed in this thread? [face_tee_hee]

15. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

Isn't this the official sequel trilogy AND EU thread?

16. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Why? For the sake of having more gore? Ep3 got that rating primarily because of Anakin being torched alive.

LunarMoth and T-R- like this.
  17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The Dooku scene and the implication during the youngling killings didn't help

LunarMoth, Force Smuggler and TheBBP like this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, as in: "the sequel trilogy and how it relates (if at all) with the Expanded Universe". This whole board is dedicated to "Episode 7 and beyond" - why would the MPAA ratings-discussion belong in this specific thread?

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh, the NJO and post NJO would most likely be rated PG-13 or R if they ever did movies for them.

20. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

I get your point about tieing it to the EU (I misread the thread title) but your 2nd point raises a larger issue.

If I have a random thing to say about Episode 7 but don't want to create a thread about it, where should I go? These post-2005 mods are trigger happy when it comes to closing threads. I am reluctant to create one just to discuss the rating for fear they will shoot me down yet again. There needs to be a miscellaneous catch-all thread but again, if I create one, they'll just close it. Ugh. I guess I could ask them directly instead of ranting but that's no fun.

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, sorry how we're trying to maintain some order and stuff. :p Threads that aren't redundant or off-topic are welcome. At any rate, searching can help too... a thread for discussing the rating of E7 already exists:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/what-will-be-the-rating.50015391/

And yes, this particular thread needs to keep the discussion related to the EU.

22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because I cannot like this enough

23. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    While I really liked the original X-Wing games and its expansions, I'd really like a new TIE-Fighter game! [face_praying] Ahhh, the 90's with its great games... (Before the Dark Times, before the FMV. Though Wing Commander IV with Mark Hamill was pretty good.).

24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    TIE Fighter was the best game in the series, not only was it harder due to flying in an unshielded craft for much of the intro it had to be far more creative and add to the universe not only in new starfighters (and while they got far more powerful than X-wings they game threw waves of them at you before switching to forcing you to take on Traitor Imperials with stolen new starfighters too, X-wing alliance tried to mimic this with the drone TIEs but they where mostly set on rails and easy to predict) but besides major characters like Vader, The Emperor, and Thrawn pretty much everyone else was new. Plot wise you couldn't go to Endor and save the Empire by blowing up Wedge and the Falcon but this also meant that the ending was unpredictible (save the fact Thrawn was your boss and you knew he'd survive and somehow be brilliant if you read TTT that is). On top of that all its Imperial Propaganda made it truely unique, something Rebels seems to be borrowing from atm... hopefully we'll see Imperial Cults worshiping the Emperor too.

Speaking of new fighter designs from TIE Fighter who wouldn't mind seeing TIE Defenders in VII, regardless of killing the EU further just due to how amazing their design was.

25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Don't forget Rebellion. That was a SWEET game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.