main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga PT Yoda or OT Yoda?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Polydroxol, Mar 1, 2014.

?

Which version of Yoda do you prefer?

1. PT Yoda

40.4%
  2. OT Yoda

59.6%
  1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I'm probably not going to explain this as well in text as it plays out in my head, but here I go anyways:

As wise as he was, in the PT Yoda was just as much a victim of (and, dare I say it, even blindly supported) the corruption in the Jedi Order. In the OT Yoda is more of a 'pure' Jedi (much like Qui-Gon and Luke), but even still he was bound to some of the trappings of the old Jedi Order (he believed that Vader should be killed, not redeemed). Still, Yoda was wise beyond his years (which is crazy, since he was almost 900 years old) and was one of the most powerful and influential Jedi ever.

Also, I don't really understand why everyone finds Yoda's use of a lightsaber in the PT as contradictory of what he stated in The Empire Strikes Back. "Wars not make one great," Yoda says to Luke on Dagobah. As someone who had unwillingly fought through a violent, corrupt, unbeatable conflict such as the Clone Wars and lost due to his Order's very blindness and arrogance, it makes sense that in his exile he would try his best to lose the trappings of the old way and surrender himself completely to the Force. Only though his exile and Qui-Gon's teachings was Yoda able to transcend the Jedi Order of old and completely come into his own as the wise sage that Luke meets on Dagobah.

I can't choose between Prequel Yoda and Original Trilogy Yoda. Much like everything else in the films, he underwent a very natural transition from one trilogy to the next. As it stands now I can't really have one without the other. They complete each other, just as the two trilogies complete each other.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Can't say I really view the character as one or the other, as for me Yoda is Yoda across the board. If forced to choose, though, I'd go for the PT for its giving Yoda more to do than being a guru in a swamp. I liked Yoda's icy skepticism and almost regal bearing in Episode I, his warm paternal side while he instructed younglings in Episode II, as well as his epic warrior's resolve and willingness to go one on one with the ultimate evil in Episode III. I appreciated the fact that Yoda was not above a lightsaber, that he too had a tragic "human" side and thus couldn't navigate the trap that saw the Jedi getting entrenched in a war they couldn't win. I liked that his duel scenes were fantastic and thrilling and then brought back to reality when, in AOTC, for example, Yoda's bout and Force reliance is over, and he sadly hobbles away like the aging master he is, nearing the end of not only his immediate physical ability to contribute but also his great order. I liked that all of this flashes through my mind now when I go back and hear the line about war not making one great, that the quote is not just a teacher's clever way of putting what should be an obvious truth, but rather the sum of tragic experience.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Yesss, thank you. Exactly what I was trying to convey above.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    You both took the words right out of my mouth bravo! Some people are just way to obtuse to see it that way, and don't understand that in the OT we get a wiser more experienced Yoda. Some of the criticisms of these movies are becoming more lazy and devoid of any critical thinking!

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You know, this seems way too soft and harmonious for me, but I'm gonna go ahead and say they are one and the same.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't know which I prefer.

7. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    PT Yoda thinking:
    Dooku said that there is a Sith Lord who is amounting more and more power in the Senate...

Chancellor Palpatine is always taking in more and more power, has stayed way past his term in office, has taken control of the Jedi Council, and was elected Chancellor during the Naboo crisis...

Must be his aide Sate Pestage. Got it!

The fact that he didn't even suspect Palpatine is absolutely hilarious.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He already controls the galaxy!

9. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I enjoyed Yoda in the prequels, except for that awful puppet in TPM, but I say OT Yoda. Specifically because everything Yoda did in ESB was perfect, especially once he starts training Luke.

10. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    I would have to go with PT, i just feel yoda had more of an impact for me in the PT, specially his CGI version it just suited Yoda for me. He was wise in both. Really i like them both but i like how Yoda is more serious in PT than the OT, though that line in ESB is just amazing when explaining the force. Both good, same character :)

11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    PT PT PT a million times PT. Looked great and was verrrry cool!

12. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
  13. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    The wisdom of OT Yoda but the youthful lightsaber skills of PT Yoda. I loved both.

14. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I can also agree with this.

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What makes you think that Yoda doesn't suspect Palpatine? He sure shoots him one hell of a curious glance in his office in the opening minutes of AOTC.

Yoda was probably on to Palpatine, but he feared how best to contain him, especially since the Jedi lacked hard proof. The scene in ROTS where Yoda ominously warns Mace and the other Jedi that to a "dark place" they were headed -- after Mace almost enthusiastically proposed taking control of the Senate "in order to secure a peaceful transition" -- is a pretty good sign, in my estimation, that how best to resolve the situation, without making things inordinately worse, weighed heavily on Yoda's mind, and basically paralyzed him into holding off on decisive action until it was too late. Palpatine had the Jedi between a rock and a hard place.

It's this cautious, rueful aspect of Yoda's persona that people don't seem to get about the character in the PT. The Jedi had placed themselves in a tenuous circumstance by the time of AOTC and Yoda knew it. The ship was sinking and Yoda tried to get the other Jedi to see it; but see it they could not. "Victory? Victory, you say?" Yoda's incredulity in that pivotal moment at the end of AOTC -- as well as the visual arrangement of the scene (Yoda at one side of the empty chamber, Mace and Obi-Wan at the other) -- really puts the idea across, in my opinion, that he is largely putting the Jedi Order in the hands of others. He can't or won't have the final say in every last detail, though he's not prepared to let a great error go unchecked. His sadness, in my view, mostly stems from his tragic realization that none of the Jedi comprehend the enormity of the Clone Wars and their complicity in it like he does. And that is a sadness he will carry with him till the end of his days.

Now, pictorially, both Yodas accomplish their aims perfectly. Each embodies and vivifies the aesthetic of their given trilogy. The latex Yoda of the OT is that bit clunkier, but more rounded and human. You can almost touch this Yoda. Whereas the PT Yoda is a digital abstraction: more like an oil painting. And this fits. The PT is more wantonly extreme and surrealistic (especially, in my opinion, the fragmentary, dream-like AOTC). The OT is more naturalistic and dramatic. In totality, then, Yoda is a chimerical being, partly "crude matter", partly "luminous being". It's a yin-yang interplay that actually works incredibly well at expressing the duality motif at the heart of the saga, in my opinion.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's almost a direct quote of Obi-Wan. How can you even say they didn't suspect him? You should watch Episode III again.

Hilarious is the "logic" expressed on your comment.

17. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    They were so genuinely, stupidly surprised when they got the news that Palpatine was a Sith Lord that I assumed they hadn't suspected him. I assumed they wanted Anakin to spy on him because they thought his aides were the Sith Lord or something

What a clever response. Bravo, Bravo.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's how the RoTS novel has it - they suspected that the Sith was in Palpatine's inner circle - and influencing him - but no more than that.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    PT Yoda besides the stoner puppet from TPM

20. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    IMO:
    OT Puppet Yoda-------->CGI Yoda------->PT Puppet Yoda

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    PT Puppet Yoda gave me nightmares as a kid.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They suspected that something wasn't right, and with the amount of evidence they had, they could hardly suspect him to be the Sith Lord. So no, it's not stupid to be surprised about such revelation or its implications.

Maybe, maybe not. Just because you know about it, doesn't mean the characters have to.

You're right, I shouldn't stoop down to your level of argumentation.

23. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Yes it is, he had been gaining more power and power in the Senate for years, and stayed in office long past his term had ended. They knew that he was elected Chancellor the year the Sith returned. Hmmm...

Ha ha, thanks for the insult, it appears yo can't have a civilized argument without getting butthurt over someone having a different opinion than you.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Therefore he's a Sith Lord?! What kind of logic is that? And the powers were given to him by the Senate, he didn't force anyone to do it.

So...? Should the Jedi think Amidala was a Sith as well? After all, she was the one who made the vote of no confidence, right?

First, I didn't insult you, but your argument. And second, your opinion means nothing when you cherry pick what you want, thus making your argument obsolete.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    As long as Sidious was acting constitutionally, it's difficult to see what else the Jedi could have done, regardless of their suspicions.