main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Anthology: News and Rumors (General Discussion Welcome)

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TtheForceHurts, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Does anyone think that "Labyrinth of Evil" or what transpires prior to Episode III will ever make its way to the big screen, even as a spin off or an animated Clone Wars feature? I think with the release of the Lost episodes that having a feature film about the latter days the clones wars would be a fitting closure to the Clone Wars.

Darth Chiznuk and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm told that the original animated Clone Wars series, like Labyrinth of Evil, showed Grievous kidnapping Palpatine.

3. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sure if someone's already posted this, but there's this great video of actor Anthony Ingruber doing an impression of Han Solo in A New Hope. Here's the link:

I think he'd be great as a 23- or 24-year-old Han Solo in a spin-off! His eyes even resemble Ford's.

4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Who is he? Just some fan?

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As far as I know, some fan/aspiring actor who is good at doing impressions.

Personally, the role of Han Solo (if they are to recast due to age) needs something a little more than someone doing a Harrison Ford impression.

6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have to say, that guy does look far more like Harrison Ford than anybody I've ever seen suggested for a young Han. If they do the spin-off I think I'd be ok with him.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nothing against the guy but I agree with HanSolo29. I want someone who can bring more than just an impression.

HanSolo29 and Krueger like this.
  8. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    No you don't. How much do you change from 24 to 44 besides looks. If you are casting for a young Han Solo, then someone who can impersonate the original is exactly what you are looking for. I liked the kid. Kudos

9. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Not if the guy can't act. Moviegoers will understand that a younger/older version of a character being played by a completely different actor is unavoidable. Hayden Christensen doesn't look a thing like an older version of Jake Lloyd and River Phoenix didn't look a thing like a younger version of Harrison Ford, yet neither of those casting choices diminished my enjoyment of those movies.

10. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Good impersonating existing material is one thing. Good bringing the character to new material, that's something else.

11. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ Great.

12. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    You are talking about going from a child to an adult. You can get away with a lot more. But going from adult to older adult requires more similarities. I never said this kid was the one (but how do you know he can't act?) I merely said that someone who can impersonate him is exactly who you are looking for.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    They went from adult to older adult with Obi-Wan and Ewan McGregor did more than simply impersonate Alec Guinness. He became Obi-wan.

You need more than an impersonation, as others have said. You're coming awfully close to a parody if all you're looking for is someone who can imitate Ford's Han. You need someone who can make the character their own and expand on what came before it. The video above gives me no indication as to the guy's acting chops or if he can pull off anything else other than things that Han had already said or did in the OT.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

What? First I was giving my own personal opinion so are you really trying to tell me that you know better than me what I want out of a performance. That's pretty ridiculous don't you think? Second I would say most people change quite a bit between those ages. I'm only 28 and I've definitely changed in just those four years. Third I'll repeat: no I don't want someone who does an impression. Looks and an ability to mimic are no where near as important as an ability to actually act and make the character your own. Sure the guy does a decent impression when he's spouting lines he's probably heard a million times but what about when he's presented with completely new dialogue and he doesn't have the previous performance to try and mimic. He might not do as well.

15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I have no idea whether or not he can act. I'm just saying it will take more than a physical resemblance and ability to impersonate lines from Episode 4. They cast Brandon Routh as Superman based solely on his physical resemblance to Christopher Reeve. How'd that work out?

Darth Claire likes this.
  16. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    I actually liked him. Though the movie as a whole wasn't spectacular.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Come on man, you don't know what you want. :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. darthjj88

Oct 31, 2012
    So you want someone to play Han Solo who doesn't look and sound like Han Solo.? Okie Dokie. Personally I'd like someone who upon watching him for a few minutes strikes me as "hey, that's Han Solo". As far as changing between 24 and 44, you might think a little differently about things (It's called growing up) but your speech patterns and mannerisms while speaking will change far less. I used the word "you" generally as it was used 3 other times in the same intent. It wasn't telling YOU about YOUR opinion.

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I think you missed the point. No one said that they don't want someone who doesn't resemble Harrison Ford as Han Solo. That's part of the continuity and should certainly be taken into consideration. What I'm adamant about is not casting someone in the role simply because they can rattle off lines that have been heard and repeated hundreds of times. A straight-up impersonation is quite limited in range and that's not what the role needs. They need to find someone who can take on the role of Han and make it their own while still staying true to the original portrayal, as seen by Harrison Ford.

20. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I think finding a guy who looks like a young Harrison Ford is important. You may have disliked Looper, but you can't deny the guy they found did pass for a young Willis. Of course, the makeup did help too. But my point is, the fact that he did look like a younger Willis helped me believe I was looking at the same person when he was way younger. Casting an actor that looks nothing like Ford would take me out of the movie and make me think: Hm… that's not Han Solo.

However, I fully agree with Darth Chiznuk, when he says: Sure the guy does a decent impression when he's spouting lines he's probably heard a million times, but what about when he's presented with completely new dialogue and he doesn't have the previous performance to try and mimic.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I thought it worked out great. Routh himself did a fantastic job as Superman, better the Henry did in MoS. You can say what you want about Superman Returns as a movie, but Routh wasn't the problem.

22. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    Love the guy doing the impressions but impressions and acting is two different ball games. Plus, he only did one tone in that video, what about the one's where he is shouting etc?

I voted other for which spin off i would like to see.

Would love a Palpatine one where you get to see what his actions are like during the war?

T-R- likes this.
  23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Welcome to the boards!

24. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014

Thank you, been looking for a place where i can discuss these things and i am glad i found this one. I look forward to participating in all of the threads.

T-R- likes this.
  25. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    "You may have disliked Looper, but you can't deny the guy they found did pass for a young Willis. Of course, the makeup did help too. But my point is, the fact that he did look like a younger Willis helped me believe I was looking at the same person when he was way younger"

(First of all, how could anyone dislike Looper? but I digress...) Didn't they use computer melding to make them look more alike, though?

(and is anyone else having issues recently with "reply" not quoting the initial message or is it just me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.