main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Now don't laugh, but when I first saw TESB, I thought Vader was actually on Dagobah and that when Luke fought him and beheaded him I thought he'd actually killed him. Then when Vader showed up in Bespin I was utterly confused. It didn't make sense to me. I was like: Wait… wasn't he dead? And when Vader's helmet explodes and we see Luke's face, I actually though Vader was Luke's twin brother or something.

2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I didn't recognize Vader's face as Luke's in the Cave scene at first.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  3. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm an idiot. :oops:

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

4. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    This is Classic Trilogy.

5. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I was seven years old in 1977 so cut me some slack on this one LOL....

Whenever you kill someone with a lightsaber, they vaporize!

Rickern and Findswoman like this.
  6. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Neither did I. When I used to watch it I was always like "Who the hell is that guy?" and "His skin looks pretty smooth for being under the helmet the whole time". I also didn't catch on to the fact that the whole thing was a vision...I thought it was like, some Vader double or something [when I was approx. 5 watching ESB].

7. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Picking up on this one, I'm reasonably certain I thought that the implication was not that Luke would turn to the dark side, but that doing so would require that he put the Vader armor on - like it was a dark sider requirement.

8. Rebel Alliance Pigeon

Rebel Alliance Pigeon Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 1, 2014
    1. I thought the end scene of ANH was Luke and Leia getting married.

2. In ESB, when Dak says "Oh, Luke! We've got a malfunction in fire control!", I thought that he meant if a fire broke out in the cockpit, he wouldn't be able to put it out.

Findswoman and Frank T. like this.
  9. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Well... first one that comes to mind is that I thought deathstar 2 was the remains of the first one [face_blush]

My young Padawan likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    When I was a kid, I totally misunderstood this scene too--all the clapping at the very end made me think it was just all the main characters taking a bow, as at the end of a play or some such.

I was unclear on the Dagobah dream sequence duel for a long time, too. And the first few times I saw ANH didn't understand who Chewbacca was: "Wait, why's that big furry thing following them around everywhere?"

pronker and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I actually thought the exact same thing when I first saw ESB.

12. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    I thought Ben had teleported and not died. But then he came as a ghost...

pronker likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

he was.

James Skyrunner likes this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sometimes I feel like I was the only person who wasn't confused by the Dagobah duel as a child.

DL44Jo likes this.
  15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I was only six (exactly six - saw it on my birthday) and I got it straight away, but by the same token, I applied the more metaphorical sense of some of the visuals to the film in a more literal sense than was intended - for years, I though that initial shot of the back of Vader's head at the bridge of the Executor wasn't just him staring out of a window, it was his dark spirit literally occupying all known space as a gigantic ghost that could be seen by anyone.

And hey, it gave some actual play value to the old Darth Vader action figure case.

16. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I thought Ben Kenobi's lightsaber was fizzling out during the duel with Vader on the DS because he was old and weak...like one's energy directly affected the color and intensity of the blade. Turns out, Alec Guiness simply had the blade pointed directly at the camera giving the illusion it was shorting out.

17. fl00dsm0k3

fl00dsm0k3 Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought Luke knew Han before the Cantina scene

18. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Here's a wild one- I was 6 when I saw ROTJ in the theatre in '83 and I believed the Emperor wanted to be Luke's friend, but Darth Vader was being mean and trying to get them to fight. The Emperor seemed so nice to Luke when he's brought before him, and I thought he was even sympathetic to the Rebels "Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive" Stoopid Vader- what did you do?! You're ruining everything!!!!

I also cried because Princess Leia was so beautiful...I don't know how my impressionable 6-year old mind rationalized metal bikini Leia as being a visual stimulant, but I never forgot it and knew I had to be with her...I just had to.

19. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    The greatest misconception that I had about Star Wars when I was 7 years old is that it was only a movie. :)

20. _LazerBlade_

_LazerBlade_ Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2014
    When I was a kid, I believed that the second Death Star was actually still the first one, and that the Rebels only blew up half of it in A New Hope.

21. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Actually, Luke's line was "more wealth than you can imagine." He kinda slurred his speech saying it, but that's the line, according to the novelization. It makes sense.

pronker likes this.
  22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I know. It was a misconception :p

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

I think I thought the same thing—and also that Luke had always known the droids. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was pretty much under the impression that everybody already knew everybody!

This is a fun thread—so glad to see it coming back to life.

James Skyrunner and pronker like this.
  24. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    Pretty stupid, but my sister thought that during the Luke v Vader Bespin duel, she thought Vader said "now to freeze him" instead of "all too easy"

Findswoman and pronker like this.
  25. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I'm another one who had no idea that was supposed to be Luke's face when the helmet breaks open there.

Findswoman likes this.