main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Suspension of disbelief

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Mar 1, 2014.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Obi-Wan plunges from the side of Tipoca City, unravels Jango's ripcord from his wrists, tosses it and it wraps around a beam and stops his fall. Granted, the abrupt stop would have ripped the Jedi's arms from his sockets, but when that was pointed out to me, my only response was: If it did, it would have ruined the movie. Some people just can't except that answer. Also you can't hear explosions, lasers, engines, seismic charges or you screaming in space, but the answer to that is simple: no one wants to watch a mute space battle! Logistics are for reality, not fantasy!

2. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Chewbacca has no dandruff. [face_dunno]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

He uses Head and Shoulders and Everything in Between for Wookiees. It works but you don't wanna see the drain stopper in the Falcon's fresher. Ewww...

4. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    The only excuse: It's Star Wars!

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    We get the cue that things are going to be different from reality right from the get go with the "galaxy far far away" thing. I don't think that "suspension of disbelief" really applies to fantasy. It's supposed to be unrealistic; that's what makes it fantasy. You don't have to suspend your disbelief because its not supposed to be believable.

But as stated in the opening post, that doesn't mean the writers and filmmakers can do whatever they want and still have it be a good story. While the fantasy-universe doesn't have to be realistic, it does need to be internally consistent and logical. That is the fault that often plagues fantasy storytelling, including Star Wars at times

Pfluegermeister and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to Saga

7. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    Stormtrooper Armour being so weak

Yoda lived to be EXACTLY 900 years old

The Jedi order was killed off like little bitches

8. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    I agree With DS here !! Most of what happens makes sense inside the framework.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. Ittoogami

Ittoogami Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2014
    I can suspend my disbelief a lot, but one major point in the series were it is a bit too much is the ewok battle. They made the little fellows look like just too weak. I mean at least they could have given them some battle swords, obsidian knifes or whatever, but I can't see around that with those sticks and their little range there is no chance they would get through an storm trooper armor.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sticks couldn't unless you get in between the joints or knock the helmets off. Dropping rocks on their heads will stop anyone. Using logs against the AT-ST's and having one that was commandeered by a Wookiee also helps.

Andy Wylde, Bob Octa and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  12. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
  13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I don't think there's much, actually. I mean, it's interlocking strands of weirdness -- tell me, how can I extract one from the other?

That said, flying into that asteroid-dwelling creature in TESB, then walking around in its esophagus / gut, is pretty out-there.

Mind you, scale mirrors are everywhere in Star Wars. Big becomes small, small becomes big.

Jar Jar is strange creature / tonal aberration No. 2. I guess TPM takes a lot of cues from TESB.

We don't get to go inside Jar Jar's digestive system, though.

Though, again, scale mirrors. [:D] [face_party] [face_peace] [face_whistling]

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

You found this hard to believe, considering how their demise was set up? I found the idea of Anakin hunting down each Jedi, one by one, hard to swallow.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That Palpatine could kill the 3 Jedi in ROTS in 10-15 seconds.
    2 of them didn't even do anything.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Sarge like this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    They weren't given time to. Most of how that was done was to show how powerful Sidious was in Darkness and how ill-prepared/unsuspecting the Jedi were, anyway.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know Palpatine is extremely skilled and all that jazz and the Jedi were unprepared and all that but that was too much.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Actually, Battlestar Galactica and Gravity both have pretty awesome action scenes (of differing kinds) taking place with no sound. However, I do agree that if TIE fighters and the Falcon didn't make their respective sounds, there would definitely be a sensibility that would be lost.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Tell that to Superman and the Flash.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There is no sound in space!

/thread

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  21. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I forgot about Anakin building C-3PO and Yoda being best buddies with Yoda.

22. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Not a damn thing.

However, if the Force, destiny, and otherworldly physics weren't tangible, important, and vital components of the saga then sure, there'd be quite a number of events I wouldn't be able to suspend disbelief for. But then it wouldn't be Star Wars.

23. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Yoda would have to become pretty good friends with himself, living alone on Dagobah for 20+ years. ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Whoops, Chewbacca, lel.

25. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Well there's quite a bit of times where I suspend disbelief. These examples come to mind:
    • The Vote of No Confidence
    • Obi-Wan not using Force Speed to catch up to Darth Maul and Qui-Gon
    • Darth Maul being stupid and arrogant enough to let Obi-Wan hop up and cut him in half
    • Padme's disturbingly calm reaction to Anakin's Tusken Raider slaughter
    • The Jedi being stupid enough to use an unauthorized army from a conspiracy
    • Obi-Wan being taken out by Dooku and sustaining no serious injuries after being crushed by a balcony
    • The Horrendous Fighting Skills of Agen Kolar, Saesee Tinn, and Kit Fisto against Darth Sidious
    • Padme being shocked completely about Anakin's turn to the dark side
    • Obi-Wan lying so much to Luke
    • The Ewoks and the small rebel force defeating the Empire

TX-20 likes this.