main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Harrison Ford (Han Solo) in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not sure I agree with this. The two reasons he was going to leave in the first place were the bounty on his head from Jabba and the fact that Leia wouldn't admit his feelings for him. By the end of ROTJ, both of these have been resolved so I think the clear implication is that he no longer has a reason not to stick around.

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

He has no reason not to stick around...with Leia.

But how does Han feel about not being a snuggler/rogue? Does he really want the General Solo title? The rebellion is finished. What's next?

3. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Here's what I wouldn't mind seeing for Han's character:

Not longer in the military, he has a business that is highly specialized in dealing with 'security' issues. He is hired to take care of 'problems' out of the public eye by employers. Of course, Chewie is with him and maybe Lando is in on the gig as well. I do not see him leaving Leia nor do I see her leaving him> Since both continually sacrificed for the other for years by the end of ROTJ - huge sacrifices and risks. You don't walk away from that person because you're bored with your girlfriend's governmental style of life or because your boyfriend is a former smuggler who doesn't fit in. Like real couples with a super strong bond, they would figure it out. If it were that simple to him, he would've left her well before ESB. He didn't need to watch out for Luke all that time, the 'Kid' was a Commander by then.

I would argue that Han did progress in ROTJ. He was completing the progression from being all about the money and looking out for number one to being all about those he loved. So at the end of ROTJ, it stands to reason that his progression would include him trying to continue to make decisions from that viewpoint even if he still carried them out in an rough--around-the-edges unconventional way. He's still Han with his usual 'make it up as you go along' approach to life, but his motivation is coming from a new perspective.

So Leia maybe did her stint in the government just after ROTJ and let it go after having served her democratically elected time and then did not run for re-election. Instead, she helped Han develop his new business until she stopped for a bit to have their children [NOT the EU version of the children either, this is MY opinion after all.]. He backed off the more treacherous stuff in his business handing a lot off to Lando. He sticks around more when the kids are small and then when they go off to more heavy duty Jedi training, both Han and Leia find themselves itching to see a little action themselves and become more heavily involved in the business again. Of course, Chewie is ever present in their lives. Maybe home base for Han and Leia is Kashyyyk.

Leia and Han have a trusting solid relationship, but the continue to rile each other up like before, except now they have new ways to come back together to make up. Hey, how do you think the kids get there?

Just my wishful dreams....

T-R-, leiamoody, JainaSoloYJK and 4 others like this.
  4. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    If he doesn't wish to be active in the military, Han can still play a valuable role for the Alliance/Jedi/etc. as a smuggler/rogue. He and Leia are tied together now and I imagine he would (at least in part) assist her with her obligations to the Alliance/New Republic. Similarly to, if not exactly like, his role as portrayed in the old post-RotJ EU.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Oh, I totally agree and I definitely understand that. I mean, yeah, the next movie could be "Episode VII: Han and Leia peruse Pottery Barn for 90 minutes" and I'd probably still eat it up with a spoon, but I do understand that the rest of the fan base is not necessarily on the same page as me (Btw--I'm totally kidding about that….well, *mostly* kidding, ;)). And I do realize that their whole "relationship" etc, has always been merely a subplot in the entire saga. Which is totally fine, I haven't lost sight of that or anything. But it looks like both of them will indeed be in Epsiode VII, so their "status" will have to be addressed in some way, because last we saw them, they were happily together on Endor. So they've either married (happily or otherwise) or they've long split up. You already know what I'm pulling for.

But you're also right, they might not have time to really make any "big thing" about it. So their personal drama (besides killing off Han---GAAAH!) could ultimately have to do with their kid(s) and, of course, with the whatever galactic struggle they now find themselves in.

Well, as someone else already mentioned, one of the things ROTJ did manage tie up was this very issue. In ESB it seemed like Han was leaving mostly because he *had* to because of the price on his head, but by the time leave Jabba's palace that's no longer an issue. Besides, you know, Leia finally came around so I would imagine he would no longer want to either.

Aside from that, you raise an interesting issue. Do you think Han actually enjoyed being a smuggler? I mean, I'm sure he enjoyed several aspects of the lifestyle, but for whatever reason, I've always gotten the impression that he did it because he *had* to in order to survive. But I don't know why I assume this (maybe the quick way he seemed to throw it aside and hitch on to the Rebellion?). I've just always kind of seen it that way. But maybe that's wrong of me. In any event, I feel like he would be sort of relieved to have other options now. But what do I know? I'm totally making stuff up now.

Yeah, I think it was pretty much assumed. And truthfully, Han doesn't really give us any reason to doubt this assumption in ROTJ, but yeah….he doesn't really give us much of anything in that one (*shakes fist* Damn you, ROTJ!) But again, let's just say our assumptions are correct, just because he might've settled down, doesn't necessarily mean he'd be completely domesticated (or neutered--as some people seem to view it). I mean, regardless if those two are still together (*fingers crossed*) I think it's pretty certain that they had kids at some point, and those kids are probably going to be featured in the new movies. So we know he probably did marry her along the way (this is Disney after all ;)), so I guess the real question is: was he able to "stick with it"? Yeah, sure. I think ROTJ Han leads us to believe he would. And I do appreciate that about ROTJ Han, but still….I hope he was able to find some of that lost "ESB mojo" in the years that followed, because I'd love to see that back in the ST. :)

Am I making sense? It's been a long day…..

Yes, yes, yes. I agree 100%.

T-R- and Claire1976 like this.
  6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Star Wars is ultimately about The Force, which naturally gives Luke and Leia something to do in Ep VII. What Han needs is a mission of his own. How about having Han race across the galaxy in an attempt to find the mysterious and powerful Kaiburr Crystal before it falls into the hands of a group of fantatical Imperial remnants, lead by his old rival? Wait a second [face_thinking] ...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I think JJ did a great job featuring the subplot romance between Spock and Uhura in the Star Trek films. And that was with an incredibly large cast, and no preset trilogy in mind. So at least we know that JJ has a history of being able to pull of busy, heavily populate films, while still finding time to add some layers and conflict to a romance.

TigerCraneFist and Yanksfan like this.
  8. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    Han just never struck me as the domesticated type, I think he did stay around for Leia out of love and Luke as well for that matter during ESB, but the rebellion would have provided its share of thrills and spills to keep his more adventurous side entertained. Despite how ROTJ left things I wouldn't be surprised to see Han with Chewie doing his own thing and being pulled back into service of the republic by Luke when events start to take a turn for the worse and the story kicks into gear.

If there is indeed kids I think dramatically it just doesn't work to have all happy families so I imagine if there is it will be a strained relationship due to him falling back into his old "scoundrel" type ways as the kids got older. Ford will most likely get his wish and Han will be killed off, going down in a blaze of glory.

jaqen likes this.
  9. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I always thought that the subplot romance in JJ's Star Trek was between Kirk and Spock and not Spock and Uhura.

10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Hey, it's been there since the Original Series, hence the reason why the "slash" genre was created in fanfiction. :p

11. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    So many movies do the thing with the strained or estranged relationship, and the absent father for dramatic purposes. It's tired. How about Han and Leia, happily married, couple of kids, and having lived a nice peaceful life for 30 years until the new threat, whatever that is, drags them back into the action again. I still don't buy all these rumours that the focus of the new movie is the Big 3, I still think they will have, let's say "extended" cameos, so there won't be time to give Han and Leia's relationship some dramatic story arc, so I say keep it simple and the simplest thing is just to let them still be married. And I just love the thought of some old married couple banter from these two :). And anyway, don't they deserve some happiness?

12. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    For me personally it only becomes tired when done poorly, ultimately you can strip down a film to its core and your going to get the same beats, especially in a tentpole summer blockbusters... naive hero plucked from obscurity into an adventure, has wise, old father figure to teach and guide him through, suffers great loss or great failure eventually to find his courage comeback and defeat evil. For me what takes it above cliche is the execution.

13. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I'm not sure I buy Luke, Han, and Leia as being the solid leads of Episode VII, but I definitely don't for a second believe they'll be relegated down to "extended cameos". I'm thinking, bare minimum, Luke plays a similarly significant role as Obi Wan did in IV and Han and Leia, bare minimum, about what hey had in Jedi (solid support roles).

Darth Chiznuk and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Whether you believe the big three will be the leads or some supporting role depends on whether you believe the rumors of why Arndt was replaced. I buy those rumors and I think Episode VII will focus on the big three

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

T-R- likes this.
  15. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

I think so too. Especially since if it wasn't true, I think JJ etc. would've come out and said so. No purpose in getting a fan base all psyched up for the "Return of the Big 3" if it wasn't going to happen. Lucasfilm would just be setting themselves up for major backlash.

Although, I'm getting nervous about how big *Harrison*'s role is gonna be. Someone needs to show me that he has a big gap in his schedule between April-October and then I'll begin to relax. All these "death" rumors are starting to put me on edge.

16. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    For some reason I think it'd be more interesting to see Han and Leia divorced or separated for good.

17. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I think the Han death rumours are inevitable when you consider how much he wanted Han to bite it in ROTJ, it's logical to wonder if he will get his wish this time round. But I'm not too worried...yet. There are an equal number of rumours suggesting he wouldn't come back unless Han was in all 3 movies, or had a decent story arc. And he won't get much of a story arc if he bites it right of the bat in episode 7. I remain fairly hopeful, but whether he will survive the entire trilogy, I'm not so sure on that one.

TheManFromMortis and TKT like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I really don't think Harrison's feelings about his character three decades ago should really have an impact on the writers. That was a long time ago and a completely different trilogy. Han may not have had the biggest role in ROTJ but 30 years later I think things are a little different. He's probably a father to one or more of the next generation and he may have a big role in the rebuilding of the New Republic. I think Han should go out when he's no longer relevant to the ST not the OT and we won't know when that happens until at least 2015.

19. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    So you'd have them be the Richard Burton and Liz Taylor of the SW universe? I could see that happening. Not sure I'd like it but I can see it.

20. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    For those panicking over those rumors about Ford's involvement in that Texas Rangers series, worry no longer:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/his...ndan-fraser-bill-paxton-ray-liotta-lead-cast/

I think we can conclude that this is the project that the rumors were talking about it, and his name is not mentioned at all in this official piece announcing the cast (cool cast though). It's from the same folks behind Hatfield & McCoys, so it should end up being pretty good.

Granted, this doesn't mean that perhaps Ford won't appear as a guest star in an episode, he's just not part of the main cast. That said, even if he was to be a guest star, I'm sure his name would have been announced with the rest of the cast.

So in other words, no worries.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

As this is a Star Wars page, I'd have thought somebody would have offered up: "Force 11 from Navarone". Other imagined sequels might include:

Still Frantic
    Even More American Graffiti
    Air Force Two
    Presumed Innocent 2: Still presumed innocent

That's enough, I think.

22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I have to admit, it's difficult for me to imagine Han Solo as an old man. Can't picture even what sort of character he'd be. The OT completely changed him, so the closest thing I cmc an imagine is a retired general and family man. But I just can't picture it my head.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Just like in the "Mark Hamill in Episode 7" and "Carrie Fisher in Episode 7" threads, I think we should have a photo or two of Ford in this thread :)

Harrison Ford walking alone in Brentwood
    Brentwood 01/07/2014:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm glad that there is clarification on his being alone in these pictures.

FRAGWAGON and TigerCraneFist like this.
  25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    That's not Harrison Ford! It's a Space Station!

T-R- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.