main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Rogue Planet is it necessary to the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheNewEmpire, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    That's a good point. Seems like it was just a needless and lazy attempt at foreshadowing IMO. As if 12 year old Anakin should be doing that. Wasn't the sand people massacre supposed to be a huge step for him?

EDIT: obviously a big difference between strangling one bad guy and murdering women and children sand people but you know what I mean. force choking is serious darkside business.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, but just could not resist. ;)

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the guy's skin is "cracked" and his eyes white, afterward, it may be more than simply Force Choke that Anakin was using.

Call it instinct, animal nature, call it the upwelling of hatred and the dark side - in Anakin Skywalker, all this lay just beneath the surface, at the end of its journey out of a long, deep cave leading down to unimaginable strength.
    "No! Stop it, please!" Anakin yelled. "Help me stop it!" The rumbling of his ascending power drowned out his plea for his master to come and prevent a hideous mistake. I am so afraid, so full of hate and anger. I still don't know how to fight.
    Jabitha appeared in the doorway, eyes wide, watching the boy crouched low before the Blood Carver. Ke Daiv lifted his lance. What would have once seemed as quick as lightning was now, in the eyes of the young Padawan, a slow, curiously protracted swing.
    Anakin raised his hands in the twin, supremely graceful gestures of Jedi compulsion. Pure willful self flooded his tissues. The urge to protect and destroy became one. He straightened and seemed to grow taller. His eyes became black as pitch.
    Stop it, please!" Anakin shouted. "I can't hold it back any longer!"

The Blood Carver emerged from the shadow, triple-jointed arms loose by his sides. He seemed exhausted. In the last of the daylight, his skin glimmered a deep orange colour, and Jabitha's heart filled he throat. He was still alive. The boy had not moved from beneath the overhang.
    "Anakin!" she called out again, her voice trembling."
    Ke Daiv stepped toward her and lifted a hand. She was almost too afraid to look at his face, but when she did, she screamed. His eyes had turned white, and the flesh around his head and neck had cracked. He was bleeding profusely, and his dark orange blood dripped down over his shoulders. He was trying to say something.
    Jabitha backed away, speechless with terror.
    "I tried to control it," Anakin said, and emerged into the twilight. The pinwheel's purple glory illuminated them with the fading of the dusk. The Blood Carver lurched forward step by step toward the edge of the field, away from the Sekotan ship.
    "Stop him," Anakin said. "Please help me stop him."
    Jabitha walked beside the boy toward the pitiful figure of their enemy.
    "Is he dying?" she asked?
    "I hope not," Anakin said as if ashamed. "By the Force, I hope not."
    "He was going to kill you," she said.
    "That doesn't matter," Anakin said. "I should never have let it loose like that. I did it all wrong."

4. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    There also is a world of difference between instinctively killing someone who is trying to kill you and wiping out an entire village as an act of retaliation. The Jedi kill people who try to kill them very often, and the morality of it is not really contested.

5. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Killing directly with the force is supposed to be some kind of dark side shortcut thingy though, if I understand correctly.

6. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    Yes - I think there's a red flag that goes up about Tahiri in one of the Force Heretic books. I think it's III, when they're at Esfandia. Someone mentions that she chokes one of the Vong plasma cannons, and Jaina gets concerned, or something. Seems like a pretty big taboo.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Whenever I reread NJO I also reread Rogue Planet, Outbound Flight, Crimson Empire Trilogy and Survivors Quest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xammer and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    As a non-avid comic reader, I was very surprised to learn that Nom Anor's first appearance was in Crimson Empire.

9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Anakin didn't choke anyone in Rogue Planet, he just made that guy's skin explode or something. Generally I'm not fan of the "Anakin commits murder while still nominally a good guy" stories but RP is the exception. Unlike in JQ, where Anakin intentionally chooses to chop up Krayn (is that his name?) with his lightsaber, or the CW micro-series, where he makes that Skakoan implode, Anakin has no control over what he does to the Blood Carver. His anger just takes on a will of its own and he's unable to control his powers, and he's horrified by what he's doing but he can't stop it, even as he's actively fighting against it and trying to warn Ke Daiv of what he's about to do. I found that scene completely believable given the Jedi Council's concerns about Anakin in TPM: "the boy is dangerous," "I sense much fear in you," "grave danger I fear in his training." He's not depicted as a psychopath; he's still a good kid, but he's a troubled preteen who's never been pushed this far before and for a moment his emotions and his power get the better of him.

10. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I frankly would have liked to see Anakin having powers that he's struggling to control more often, like the kid from the Coruscant Nights books. It would have made him less whiny, at least, if in conjunction withof being upset at Obi-Wan possibly holding him back he's partially terrified of what would happen if the power he had were fully unleashed. He'd be torn between his desire to be the best and drive to excel, but shies away from really letting himself go for fear of what he would become.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

In Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force - Jedi Knight Siri says she'd have done exactly the same thing as Anakin in the Krayn situation.

12. vadimk

vadimk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2009
    Wasn't everyone supposed to believe that Anakin killed Krayn in self-defense, not in cold blood after defeating him?

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The book definitely left the impression that it was in cold blood.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the comic both are armed and fighting each other when Krayn is slain.

Though I could see Anakin, before the fight, having decided "Krayn needs killin'" and attacking him specifically to kill rather than disable.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Kyle Katarn is beyond good and evil; above all know definitions of the Force; All Hail the Beard!

She can do that?

16. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    I have a soft spot for Rogue Planet. It's not terribly necessary for understanding the NJO, but it's a good book. I enjoyed reading about Raith Sienar and his relationship with Tarkin. The descriptions of Zonama Sekot made me really curious about that planet. Also I think Greg Bear writes a good Obi-Wan. And Anakin killing the Blood Carver doesn't bother me at all.

But man, that cover art is horrible. It looks as if Obi-Wan is trying to hide in a dark corner or something, while his lightsaber blade goes through the back of Anakin's head!

17. DarthBarrister

Jan 16, 2014
    Yep. Had no interest in it until I was well into NJO and realized it was relevant to that series. I know - judged it by it's cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.