main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Should Disney release the unedited original trilogy on Blu-ray or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Carrie Walsh, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Haven't read the rest of the thread but here goes:

Yes.

The simplest reason is that Disney would make money off of it. If they would make enough to profit after spending the money for a digital remastery, there is no reason not to do it.

I like many of the SE changes and am not overly fussed about owning an OOT copy; I still have my 1995 VHS'es and a VCR/DVD player in my bedroom.

I'd probably buy an OOT Blu-Ray if it were made but I'm not going to get upset if it isn't.

But purely from a marketing standpoint--yes.

Force Smuggler and _Catherine_ like this.
  2. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Yes but also i would like them to release the 1997 special edition as well on blu-ray.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    From a marketing standpoint, it would certainly make sense. From an artistic standpoint, I'd love to see it happen. It would be great to see these films in the best possible quality, respected as the works of art that they were in their time, not merely as evolving parts of a larger, longer and ongoing project.

Yanksfan likes this.
  4. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yes. Of course they should.
    Star Wars should be available in all its versions, especially the one that started it all.

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  5. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Never realy understood this debate. Most of the Upgrades are for the better.

Im very happy With the saga set on blu ray anyway :D

Its the same frkin film!!! Dont get why some folks are so upset With this. But yes they should relase it With both Versions.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Um, because people don't always have the same opinions as you? And it's not the same film.

fuzzbox77 and Yanksfan like this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It is by no means the same film. Han shoots first/Greedo shot first, Vader silent/Vader saying NO! in ROTJ. Plus other changes as well. Not the same films at all.

8. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

it the same film just a different version thats all.

9. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    That means it's different.

10. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Depends I mean it tells the same overall story doesn't it and thats what I mean like.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    That's different to "it's the same film".

If someone remade the saga using hand puppets it would tell the same overall story.

Yanksfan and Garrett Atkins like this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    It is the same film.

13. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I can understand the view that it isn't, but from my point of view, it is. To Lucas, it is/was a work in progress, so that's how I choose to view it, too.
    That view makes all editions of the trilogy the same trilogy at different stages of development, as someone put it.

15. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    If it's the "same" film, then why did Lucas bother changing it in the first place? What was the point?

Anyway, of course Disney should release the original version on Blu Ray. Why not? Even if SE fans should be in favor of this, if for no other reason, it would get us "purists" to STFU about it.

16. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    What was the point? He wasn't done with it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Yes, Lulu_Mars, but if he wasn't "done with it" then he was making changes yes? So it's not the same. The most glaring example: Han no longer shooting first. If it was all "just the same" and didn't alter Han at all, then why did George bother changing it? Why didn't he just leave it as is? Because he personally didn't like what it said about Han's character, while some of us actually did.

In any event, my point being, that releasing the originals on Blu Ray would make some of us very happy, while not affecting your enjoyment of the SEs at all. You have the version *you* like, so why can't we have the version *we* like? This way everyone is happy. And btw, Lucasfilm would make some more cash. So where's the harm in releasing them?

19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    No, you're absolutely right. There are no similarities between them whatsoever :rolleyes:

What kind of question is that? Did I say that you look like George Lucas?
    I'll quote my previous post and bold the parts that you seem to have missed:

Yanksfan: Since he views it as a work in progress, changes can be made along the way. During principal photography for ANH, for example, he made a huge change by killing off Obi-Wan on the Death Star instead of having him live through the whole movie.

I have said nothing yet about releasing the "OOT" on blu-ray. I'll do that now, though: I would have nothing against it. Not because it's the "version" you like, but because it's the historic stage of development where these movies, ANH especially, changed the world. It would be interesting to have, that's why I'd welcome it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  20. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Forgive me, Lulu_Mars, that second paragraph wasn't really directed at you specifically. I meant the "you" of any SE fan, etc. Sorry, I should've been more clear. That's what happens when you rip off a quick post on your lunch break (You/your=me this time. :p)

21. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013
    I get that this is basically the internet home of "THAT IS YOUR OPINION ONLY" but to suggest that all the different releases are the same is basically willful blindness.

Even if we concede the 'work in progress' point (which I think is largely nonsense), it's the same as saying that the second or third draft of any piece of work is the same as the final edition - it's not. Drafts can be better than the final thing and they can be worse than the final thing, but they are not the same as the final thing.

Garrett Atkins and Yanksfan like this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, that's your opinion ;)
    You say I'm willfully blind. I could say the same about you. It all comes down to different perspectives, really.
    I don't see different drafts and versions. I see one evolving movie. Like a person going from embryo to adult!

Yanksfan: I took no offense :) I sort of understood what you meant. Sorry if you felt targeted by my post!

23. Darth Heisenberg

Darth Heisenberg Jedi Knight

Mar 5, 2014
    I could not agree more. That is my favorite version of Return of the Jedi for the exact same reasons.

24. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013

Again, I'm usually on board with the whole that's just your opinion man thing but unfortunately in this case you're wrong.

There have been several versions of the films released. It's indisputable, even if you consider it one single work in progress. Every time this work in progress is tendered in exchange for money, that is a release.

In my left hand I hold my 2011 bluray release of the Empire Strikes Back. In my right hand, I hold the 2004 DVD release. On my lap sits the original VHS (I'm typing with my nose obviously).

None of these are identical. I'm not casting an aspersions to which is better, worse, more realistic, more fun, deeper, more mature etc. They're different though.

25. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I hear you, but I don't share your view. Several editions have been released, not versions. Those editions aren't identical, but they are the same movie.
    From your point of view, I may be wrong, but from mine, I'm definitely not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.