main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mastadge, Jan 3, 2006.

1. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    ICE and SE never had the option to split the series as you suggested....at least that is how I understand things.

Erikson was published first, the years later ICE. I think the series would have flowed together a little better if they both published at the same time.

2. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Just got my copy of Orb, Sceptre, Throne yesterday!

3. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I finished "Orb, Scepter, Throne" yesterday. Really good book, one of my favorites of the entire series in fact. I won?t spoil anything, but to those of you who haven?t read any of the other Esslemont books, don?t worry about that. READ THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW. You only need to have read TTH to be able to read OST, and the book doesn?t spoil any of the other Esslemont books. It?s just pure awesome.

I give this one a 9/10, it explored a lot of "things" I have wished a Malazan book would give focus too for a long time.

Small spoiler:

This book is dominated by the Seguleh, if you have any interest in that group, then this book is a love letter from Esslemont.

4. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    is orb, scepter, throne only released in the uk right now? i didn't think it was in the us yet.

5. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003
    UK only in book form, but you can buy the kindle version on Amazon.com. I?m not a big fan of e-books myself, but at least you have that possibility.

6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I ordered from Amazon.ca

I bought some other books to, so shipping was free. I did not want to wait until may...

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    of course I can't agree with Asharak, what would happen next? [face_laugh]

OST Spoilers follow

While I think Esslemont's writing is getting stronger, I liked Crimson Guard and Stonewielder more than this.

Another classic example of interesting things being discussed, and awesome stuff like the Seguleh and the city's history in general, and then no real answers at the end. Would have wanted more on the Moranth and Seguleh. I assume Morn was probably Draconus, though at first I thought it was Anomander Rake and almost had a heart attack.

The stuff with Tayschrenn was okay, I felt they could have spent a little more time on it though. Oh, he's in this warren. Oh, he's invulnerable to the effects of Chaos because...he's a really great mage? ;)

At the end, I guess you wonder whether he's a new incarnation/avatar/something of D'rek, or of K'rul?

Other crazy thought I had was that Kruppe is Krul. If you take Kruppe The Eel and shorten it to a god name, you get Kru'l. That's why I thought Tayschrenn suddenly becoming T'renn was a double whammy because it makes us look at K'rul's name as well.

I can't say it was a terrible book, but the Moon's Spawn storyline was a waste of time and even the Seguleh/Traveler becoming the First felt rushed.

8. Asharak

Apr 23, 2003
    I will in the near future rebuke your statements like there was no tomorrow, but first....

Did I read in some thread that you had become a father? If so congratulations to the max. May it be a great blessing to you and yours.

:_| :_| :_|
    =D= =D=

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thank you. I am, indeed, a father now. I-) [face_coffee]

10. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Welcome to the club...but now say goodbye to sleep!

Congrats!

11. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Congrats! I do not miss those sleepless nights lol! Its worth it though!

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, digging around on Amazon and I find these:

Erikson: Forge Of Darkness: The Kharkanas Trilogy Book 1 - Due August - Has to be Rake's back story, which I can't say no to.

Esselmont: Blood & Bone: Anyone know much of this? I've yet to start my re-read of the Esselmont books but he's doing 6 isn't he?

13. Darth_Smeagol

Darth_Smeagol Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm rereading Gardens of the Moon and I am confused about a timeline issue. Quick Ben goes to make a deal with Shadowthrone and it come out that QB was once a High Priest of Shadow and had burned his robes. My question is when would this have been? Shadowthrone is Emperor Kellenved and he has only been dead/ascended for around 9 years. I'm almost certain the Bridgeburners had already chased Quick across the desert before Kellenved and Dancer ascended. Am I wrong about that or missing something?

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I can't wait for Fall of Light and Assail to come out....I haven't been here in a long time, anyone here reading this series?

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

just reading gardens of the moon now, actually.

16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm currently rereading the series- just hit Memories of Ice. The nice part about rereading is that I know what the hell is going on in the earlier books.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk 2

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i was tempted to read night of knives first as i was told it was a gentler easing into the series but i ultimately decided reading the story in the order it "evolved" to publication would be more enjoyable

i have to say this is the one time in my adult life when reading through a series and mindful of its length i can kind of sort of understand why anyone would re-read a fantasy series. for the most part i left this kind of "ooh i liked this book i should read it again!" thinking behind in my mid-teens, believing it a waste of time i could be using to read new books. but garden of the moons is complex enough that i can sense that yeah, rereading this someday after finishing the series would probably give me a different picture to be worth spending the time

18. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Bought the first one. I think it's a good book but...too hardcore, both the writing, the complexity of the story, factions and the writing style, gonna take more time to finish it.

19. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Gardens of the Moon is the most difficult to get through...even Erikson says so. Most people say, get through it...and the next two books get most hooked. Deadhouse Gates is my favorite.

Re-reading this series, you definitely pick up on things that you miss the first time.

TOR has a re-read section that can help with getting an understanding of the series.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm 60% through the first one, yeah it's quite painful to follow up and I had to look back to understand some events. LotR is much easier to read compare to this series.

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i love gardens of the moon, btw. i, for one, am not complaining about the complexity. i only wish the maps were more detailed but it seems the maps in fantasy books are never as detailed as i would like. c'est la vie

RC-1991 likes this.
  22. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I think you will find...if you stick with the series...there aren't many who can write a conclusion, convergence, or bring so many threads together like Erikson. The last 100 pages of his novels are usually "UnPutDownable"

23. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I agree...throw in traveling by warrens...and sometimes it's hard to get a bearing on where some characters are heading.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, I see many reviews gave him very good comments, but still it's quite tough to go through it. [face_nail_biting] I also had to check its wiki to understand some races and the whole magic system. Especially the "Warren".

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    WHERE IS FOX PASS ERIKSON? WHERE IS NISST? i have no feel for the geography of caladan brood's eastern front right now nor where half the malazan reinforcements are going to be landing in a year, brah!! unacceptable :p