main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Most Underrated Star Wars Character

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darklordoftech, Dec 21, 2013.

1. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Underrated: Wedge for surviving the Battle of Hoth and two Death Star runs and also the Imperial officer who asked Tarkin if he wanted to evacuate and got told to shut up.

Overrated: Jabba the Hutt.

2. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008

Probably because IMHO Lloyd nor Christensen weren't suited for either role and both had poor delivery throughout their performances - the script and dialogue didn't help. A sugary sweet slave boy living in poverty shouting "Yipee" with limited acting skills (whose career died more or less straight after) and a self absorbed Padawan in his late teens/early twenties performed by an actor with no presence that portrayed a legendary character but somehow seemed like he'd stepped off the set of Charmed or Dawson's Creek.

It still doesn't shadow the hugely obvious fact that Anakin was British for the first 16 years and now all of a sudden he's American and younger (despite we see a much older Jedi ghost for the first 21 years at the end of ROTJ until the 2004 unnecessary tinkering). I suppose Brits and American's sound alike, George?

As for Jar Jar - he's still one of the worst characters in cinema history. His appearance is so over the top it and ridiculously unnecessary, it makes Cheif Chirpa seem like Christopher Walken.

Sarge likes this.
  3. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013

[face_talk_hand][face_talk_hand][face_talk_hand][face_talk_hand][face_talk_hand][face_talk_hand]

mes520 and Darkslayer like this.
  4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Honestly, the most pathetic thing I can imagine is to hate an actor because you didn't like their performance. Even if you found Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen's performances absolutely terrible, that in no way justifies the amount of vitriol that has been spewed their way, particularly in Lloyd's case. You know, I don't for a second buy that Lloyd didn't pursue an acting career because he was "terrible" or had no talent. It was more likely because people were horribly abusive to him as a kid -- and not just his peers but grown "adults" who really should know better.

As for Hayden Christensen, comments such as the above -- that he seemed "like he'd stepped off the set of Charmed or Dawson's Creek" -- make it really difficult for me to take the person in question's opinion seriously. Look at Mark Hamill -- he may play Luke Skywalker, but he's not overflowing with charisma or menace. But he plays a human being very well. And he's certainly not intimidating to look at since, if anything, Hamill is a bit of a pretty boy.

Also, James Earl Jones is American whereas Hayden Christensen is Canadian. Just to clarify. And let's not forget that almost twenty years pass between ROTS and ANH. Even a few years is enough to pick up an accent. I recall watching an interview with Alice Eve, a British actress, who could switch back and forth between her normal accent and a Californian accent at the drop of a hat because she had lived there for a few years when she was younger.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya enough with the hating already.

CoolyFett, mes520 and darth ladnar like this.
  6. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008

7. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    I Have Two:

Jar-Jar Binks
    Qui-Gon Jin

8. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Not really. You have to remember that Anakin wasn't born and didn't grow up on Coruscant the way Obi-Wan would have. He should, at least initially, speak like Luke, Owen, and Beru did in ANH having grown up on Tatooine. Mon Mothma stayed on Coruscant her entire life (so she'd have no reason to have her accent change) but Anakin became an important government figure, so he probably changed his accent as a result. You see this with Leia in ANH. When she talks to Tarkin, she puts on a British accent. It's probably just a subtle way of exerting importance and authority.

9. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Carrie Fisher has famously ridiculed her on again, off again British accent as Leia.

10. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    He slightly elevates the latter half of ROTS for me.

And I love that brief moment Bail has with Anakin after the Invisible Hand sequence.

11. Ittoogami

Ittoogami Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2014
    Sometimes it seems every little side character has its own comic book or so. Despite that, there are some characters which never rose to much importance in the EU I would have liked to seen more often.

1. The Phantom Menace: has barely no characters I would like to be featured more. Yarael Poof maybe, because he is one of the most ridiculously looking Jedi masters (the Jedi Council im TPM was a kind of a freakshow, anyhow). But you could argue that he had a least one comic devoted to him.
    2. AOTC: Generally, except Dooku and Gunray, all Separatist leaders are kind of underused. The council is another great freakshow and I would love to have more works with Wat Tambor and the Gossam/Shu Mai. Also, one of the many things TCW did totally wrong was the handling of the separatist leaders. Some would have been good to use as additional villains, instead of bringing in so many light saber wielders. This was only done in the first season a lot, later they practically vanished from the series.
    3. Back to the Jedi: i think Saesee Tiin looked great in character design. Compared to Plo Koon, Shaak Ti and the likes, he was underused to me. From CW comics he was established as an especially rough and tough Jedi master, would have loved to see works featuring him more prominently.
    4. A new hope: Garindan, sometimes referred to as "snout". Was established in some EU works as imperial "master spy", but never used much. He did not even get a story in the "Tales of Mos Eisley" book, maybe because he is only seen outside of the cantina. Im also rooting here for more Tarkin. Sure, he is a prominent character and appears in many works; there are comics about him and one which even features his dad. He also had his own arc in TCW, which was one of the better ones. But compared to his importance in the first movie, he could be featured more. I mean, he is practically Vaders boss.
    5. TESB: Lobot, or how he is called, the advisor of Lando. Looks and acts cool and somehow superweird both. Also, when I saw them first, I was thrilled by the other bounty hunters along Boba Fett on the star destroyer and thought it was a missed opportunity to use all or a few of them in another scene. But, besides that, I would them cross off the list because each one of them has its share of EU works.
    6. Nien Numb definitely.

12. Ittoogami

Ittoogami Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2014

13. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
  14. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    Overrated ? Chewbacca ( love him though)

Underrated ?!!! Anakin Skywalker

[face_thinking]

15. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    Underrated has to be Count Dooku.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  16. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Shmi. Excellent, under appreciated character excellently portrayed by an outstanding actress.

17. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    I totaly agree With this :)

18. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    Overrated: Boba Fett, Han Solo
    Underrated: Jar Jar, Anakin

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Bothan spies. Unsung heroes of RoTJ. And many of them died.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    Lott Dod.

He is a fantastic and truly evil villain and he just goes so unnoticed. He's about as corrupt as they come, he had no qualms about poisoning an innocent in order to get a better deal on a droid foundry, or about endangering, if not killing, thousands in order to sway a political vote. Despite being a Neimoidian, he shows little to no fear (even when held at blasterpoint), and is able to quickly and calmly think on his feet; as such, he's an exceptionally good manipulator. There's an almost childlike cruelty about him that Gunray doesn't even come anywhere near. Gunray, I think, got in over his head, but Dod is truly evil.

AND DADGUM, I LOVE HIM FOR IT!

21. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    Qui-Gon Jinn was the only Jedi to get it right from the very beginning. He was outcast because of his beliefs and was vindicated in the end. Thank the Force he never compromised his beliefs for personal gain. The Sith weren't the only ones guilty of such behavior.

22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I second My young Padawan.
    Can't think of anyone that underrated besides Qui-Gon. His significance (and TPM's) in the saga can be overlooked, there seems to be a fair bit implying he represents what the Jedi should have been, and what they lost. Yoda becoming his apprentice at the end of the PT, Anakin being more susceptible to Palpatine's seduction without him, Obi-Wan and Yoda echoing some of his sentiments in the OT, etc.

minnishe and My young Padawan like this.
  23. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    The most underrated characters are admiral Akbar, boba fet, and captain panaka.

24. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Dak, by far. The guy was smart enough to be concerned about the malfunction in fire control and did the right thing by reporting it. Luke ignored this warning and it cost Dak his life. Guy probably had a family and something to live for outside the rebellion and did *anyone* ever address this mistake or honor him in any way? Not only did Luke sweep his fatal mistake under the rug (he could have asked Wedge to make the shot in the first place after finding out about the malfunction), but he didn't even refer to him as Dak after he died! He referred to him as "his gunner". It's all about Luke and his needs, isn't it?

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Sarge like this.
  25. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Underrated? Count Dooku, maybe. He isn't generally disliked, but I don't think Lee quite gets the appreciation he should for the role. "Twice the pride, double the fall" is delivered with the same intensity that Guiness brought to Obi-Wan's lines.

Also, Jango Fett. He's put in Boba's shadow because he's prequel material, but I think he accomplishes a lot more.