main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Try the veal, don't forget to tip your waitress.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Great inaugural piece, Mia!

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

Contessa, Mia Mesharad and CooperTFN like this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  6. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    And there, confirmation. Boom goes the dynamite.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Sorry for the double post, but, Vanessa Marshall not only tweeted out the site, but tweeted me and said how much she loved the article I wrote. I wouldn't be surprised if she loved Mia's article as well.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Again: new favorite person.

Contessa likes this.
  9. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Awesome job on that article, Mia. All of that seriously needed saying, especially after some of the **** being pulled recently on this forum and in this fandom. Love it. And it's awesome that you managed to coax that out of Pablo finally.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Guys, ForceCast host Eric Geller name-dropped Eleven-ThirtyEight in the latest ForceCast and recommended it to listeners! He then began discussing racial (species) and gender diversity in Star Wars with Justin Bolger and Fangirl Blog's Tricia Barr, specifically Jay Shah's article on "Senseless Sexism in the Galactic Empire." I haven't had the time to listen to all of it as of this moment, but I recommend tuning in. The discussion begins around 20 minutes in or so.

It's pretty exciting that the recent slew of articles on diversity in the GFFA has come tot he attention of the folks at ForceCast, a medium that can really help spread awareness of Eleven-ThirtyEight and its discussions to the greater Star Wars fandom.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Thanks for the heads-up! I believe the latest episode of Tosche Station mentioned us as well, but I haven't heard all of it yet.

Contessa likes this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It's pretty cool that some of the more casual mediums such as podcasting are starting to pick up on some of the more in-depth analysis that's going on both on these boards and smaller sites like ETE. Very cool to see these kinds of things happening. Taking a more holistic viewpoint of the universal fandom can only be good.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Brilliant Work Mia. I like Mandos as a meritocracy where if you are badass enough and smart enough u can climb to the top regardless of gender, species, orientation, etc instead of a bunch of Nordics.

16. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    As a noob, can you shed some light on this?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Gorefiend likes this.
  18. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    What? ****** people were being ****** fans, throwing fits because Rebels dared have POC protagonists and other people were happy to see that. Fandom being fandom and all. So love that Mia put them on blast, called their **** and got Pablo to speak up in confirmation of people's hopes for a multi-racial cast.

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007

Yup. Great to see. I'm very happy that they're confirming these kinds of things, mainly in my eyes for the sake of variety. There's a big social justice thing here, and that's all well and good, but from my POV (and that being a white male) it gets boring just watching white people run around on screen whether animated or live-action. Let's see some different kinds of people running around on there. It strikes me as something that the Star Trek TOS did well, and something that Star Wars has to get cooking on. It doesn't even have to be a big deal, just do it. It makes things interesting.

Contessa, Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Man, ableist much? :p

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    s65horsey and CooperTFN like this.
  22. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

You know what I mean!

In all honesty, there's a place for people who are disabled. They can even be relegated to simply rolling or hovering around. Most of the time though, they're simply the hacker character who's helping the more able-bodied heroes from afar.

Sly Cooper is one of my favorite video game series, and after the turtle characters is crippled by the villain, he becomes a wheelchair bound hero. It doesn't stop him from being a hero, and indeed the wheelchair becomes a very cool component for him. Plus, one of my best friends is disabled! (That's actually the truth, lol as bad as it sounds).

But essentially, you know what I mean. Any summer blockbuster movie, any big TV show etc is going to have some form of characters running around on screen. Most of ANH is essentially the big three plus Chewie running around the Death Star. It's just going to happen.

I hate the minefield or words I bumble around in.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    From the TCW thread...
    Thanks for reminding me--you kinda inspired this, anakinfan. ;)

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    ETE will have to do a write-up of these Yoda episodes of TCW if everything I'm hearing about them is true.

They really seem to be the perfect episodes.