main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your predictions about the reception of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Assuming they go back to the supposed "OT feel", critics are gonna eat these movies up and claim that they are everything that fans wanted.

God, I hope they don't go back what most fans perceive to be the "OT feel." What would be the point? I want something new that respects and transcends the themes and ideas established in all six films, not some nonsensical retread/homage fest.

2. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    THIS. BTW, I love GnR.

3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Just my opinion here, but I'm going to have to disagree. The Prequel Trilogy felt like pure, unadulterated Star Wars to me. Visually, thematically, the way the actors and Lucas and the effects department and everyone else brought the script to life. It just oozes Star Wars, albeit of a different time period (both in-universe and in the real world). I can't help but to love it.

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Quoted for truth... :)

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Retread/homage fests would be the opposite of an OT feel. The OT was one thing not, self-referential.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  6. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014

I loved the PT. However i am only 20 so this trilogy is more what Star Wars is about than the originals if you understand?

I liked the fact Vader fell in love and that was his downfall, it just makes the whole OT more interesting and after watching the PT after ROTS it was easier to understand how this tall figure in a black suit was so destructive.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT is Star Wars, Battle of Geonosis for example but there was something missing for part of the PT. Didn't help that we didn't see the jump to hyperspace from the cockpit of the ship. The PT had music just as good as the OT.
    But something is missing imo.

Bullhead CIty and TKT like this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I know. I have a bad feeling about this. ;)

Bullhead CIty and WatTamborWoo like this.
  9. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    I think if there is any director out there capable of channeling what made the OT so special and bringing it back on screen then it's JJ. He's really good at capturing a feel or a mood for a film, for example his first Star Trek feels very much like a Star Wars film with its sense of pace, urgency and the great chemistry between the characters, all of which I would say were sorely missing from the PT.
    Also despite Super 8's obvious flaws the one thing it did well was recapture the feel of Spielberg in his prime (ET, CEOTTK etc).

TKT likes this.
  10. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I love the PT. Warts and all. "Love it or hate it" but the PT does have that magic for a lot of fans.

My biggest fear for the ST is that they may go way too far in trying to please what they think is the overall opinion of the majority of Star Wars fans. Basically overbearing fan-service. The Boba Fett thing for one. The rumor about the Boba spin-off movie...no. That's just goofy and such a fanboy dream. Don't ignore the Midichlorians. Like it or not, it's part of Star Wars now and I still think it deepens the mythology rather than take away anything. I'd rather Episode VII and the rest of the ST not be an "apology" to Star Wars fans saying "well, here's what you wanted! Let's pretend the PT never existed! We're going to give back to you what's been GREAT about STAR WARS! Yay! Star Wars is good again! You guys hated the prequels, right? Oh wow!" I really, really just want it to respect the George Lucas vision of the Star Wars universe. No fanboy stuff please, JJ.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    But it depends on your preferences... I thought JJ's Star Trek films, although extremely polished, were very shallow/hollow movies that are as far removed from the OT as Thor or Iron Man is... Indeed I think the new Trek films have much more in common with modern disposable, popcorn fodder than they do of either the OT or PT (although I think there're actually closer to the PT). JJ's Star Trek is to Star Wars what Oasis is to The Beatles (apologies to Oasis fans). I'm also not sure of what you mean by "Super 8 recaptured Spielberg in his prime"? Do you honestly think Super 8 is worthy to lick the boots of Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, ET? Or do you simply mean it aped/mimicked the lighting/camera angles etc? I assume you mean the latter, but I don't think that's anything to celebrate. I too, with X million $'s, could effectively mimic a Spielberg, Crononberg or Ridley Scott film... but that's not I want for the ST.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    19 Pages of disccussion on this so far. Wow.

Its a new Star Wars film, under new management (Post Lucas). Not only you are going to get the massess who grew up on the OT, you are going to get the younger generation who grew up on the PT, and you will get the critics of the PT (i.e., Lucas hater) who will see the movie, if for no other reason than Lucas' involvement in the ST has been greatly reduced. The reception from the first two groups are predictable; they will love it simply because its Star Wars. Its the third group where you may get some vairience. If the movie has a well developed story and dialog, this group will rave about it. If not, we are going to get the same bashing that we have had to endure since 1999.

13. Lord Miggler

Feb 6, 2013
    That's a fair point film itself is a very subjective medium and I concede that not all will feel like I do.

Regarding Super 8, no not in that sense, more emphasis on the feel/mood of the film which very much felt like Spielberg for me but that's not to say I thinks its on par with those films in terms of overall quality. I suppose the best way to describe it I would be to say he recaptured the essence of Spielberg just not his brilliance.

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll say it: Super 8 is absolutely on par with early Spielberg in terms of quality IMO. Loved every minute of that film and it's the reason I give JJ the benefit of the doubt in taking over script duties from Arndt. IMO JJ should take on more writing duties with his films especially when it came to Star Trek. If only... [face_sigh]

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't know, but maybe I'm missing something about JJ that most of you guys like about him. I like a lot of his films, but I don't love any of them.

16. Lord Miggler

Feb 6, 2013
    I've really enjoyed all of his films but I do believe he is still yet to truly knock one out of the park, hopefully this will be ep7.

I do think and it's a slight worry that most of JJ's films tend to lose their way in and around the final act but I would put this more down to story/screenplay issues or more specifically Orci and Kurtzman (who are on writing duties with most of his previous films) rather than in his abilities as a director, his sense of pace for a film, the handling of actors and co-ordinating of big set-piece action scenes always seems to be first rate. Hopefully with himself, Kasdan, and whatever input Arndt and Lucas (who I still see as a brilliant ideas man) put in gives me lot more confidence in the screenplay and the overall story that this hopefully won't be an issue for the film.

17. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    I hope we, as Star Wars fans, realize that ridiculously high expectations are very rarely met.

Darkslayer and Force Smuggler like this.
  18. Lord Miggler

Feb 6, 2013
    Personally I'm optimistic of what it could be and that it could be good rather than expecting. I think if the prequels taught us anything it's that we shouldn't get our hopes up for the second coming and that we as fans certainly shouldn't get too fixated on what we think the films should be about, I think that would just lead to an unsatisfying experience in the end regardless of if they are good films or not.

19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    You watch Star Wars for the dialogue?

Darkslayer and Mystery Roach like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I have huge expectations for the Sequel Trilogy. I can't help not to. You give me something I've wanted to see for years and bring back some of my favorite characters of all time but then say I shouldn't expect greatness. Yeah, sure. o_O But my expectations have never been let down by a Star Wars film so I'm going to continue expecting the very best.

21. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014

I was let down by the prequels, so now I am not as optimistic.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm trying to keep my expectations low. Too many variables at the moment for me. I'm excited of course, who isn't? Continuing Luke and friend's story and all. Give me lightsabers, force powers, Jedi, some sort of Sith, aliens, planets, ships, the Empire, the Rebels, new Skywalkers and Solos, droids etc. Trying not to worry about the villain all that much.

All I can say is, It's going to be one hell of a ride.

Bullhead CIty and Mystery Roach like this.
  23. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Apparently a lot people (especially critics) who saw the PT did.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watch it for the 'splosions.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I tend to fully embrace this concept:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.