main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Empire in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by purplerain, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I like this idea. Something else that in no way diminishes the Rebel victory in RotJ is an Imperial Remnant. The rebels win at endor, take back the government, and establish the New Republic. No reason that the Imperial military couldn't hold up in some sector of space. Even the Old Republic didn't control all sectors. Why couldn't the Imperial machine survive outside the New Republic lieading into VII.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It could survive but the question is what the role of this imperial remnant would be. As a main threat they couldn't be very convincing. Maybe as a reluctant ally? Or the ally of the main bad guys?

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Personally, I don't like the reluctant ally idea. IMO they are quintessential villains and should never be portrayed as anything but post-ROTS (and even before that they're still the main villains minions even if the heroes aren't aware of it). I think they could still work as the main villain forces if it's established without a doubt that they can still be a threat to the heroes. They're defeat in ANH didn't hurt how much of a threat they were in ESB and I think we could see a similar situation in Ep. VII. We've seen it throughout our own history that just because someone is defeated doesn't mean they can't rise again.

Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  4. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    I wouldn't mind there being an Empire but as long as there is no clone emperor. I haven't read the books but the storyline just sounds stupid compared to what we see in the 6 movies. A force ghost i have no problem with.

5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    History has nothing to do with it. More psychology. They were so utterly humiliated, so utterly defeated. The Ewoks used their gear for musical instruments. It left a stain that can't be washed away. It would be very hard to take them seriously as a main villain again after that.

As for reluctant allies of the Republic: Sure, the Empire of old would never work in that way, but this is a great method to showcase change. These are more peaceful times and maybe this time the senators managed to change some of the imperial attitudes. Sometime after Stalin came Gorbachev.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I can only speak for myself in terms of the psychological impact of their defeat but for me there's no stain that needs to be washed away. Sure they suffered a bad defeat but I also recognize that the Ewoks were getting wiped out before Chewie took control of one of the Empire's own weapons. The Ewoks were little more than a nuisance to the Empire before that so I guess I just don't see their defeat as humiliating as you do.

I'm certainly not saying it's an unrealistic thing to occur but it's just something I hope doesn't happen. To me it would be akin to the Orcs allying with the Elves in Middle Earth or the Death Eaters allying with Dumbledore's Army. It's not about realism it's just something that shouldn't happen IMO because the Imperials are the minions of the Sith and should stay that way. They're the bad guys.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Only one Ewok was killed in the movie..........................
    The Empire coming to save the Rebels in the final fight would be great to see.

purplerain likes this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don't think the Republic and Empire being reluctant allies is anywhere near as unlikely as the Jedi and the Sith being reluctant allies, and even that happened in an episode of TCW, so anything is possible, especially if the Sith are no longer in control of whatever remains of the Empire.

Iron_lord and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't see it that way. The Empire was always a bit more than just minions of the Sith. As much as Palpatine thinks of himself, he can't browbeat the entire galaxy into submitting to his power. He needed allies like Tarkin and Motti who saw things his way. The EU has shown us that the higher ranks of the Empire consist of many small mini dictators and together they are a most formidable force of oppression.
    I'm not curious what happened to the remains of the Empire, if they devolved into various factions warring with each other or if there were some reformations going on. Or maybe both?

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Im all for the remnant idea, but if the "remnant" is just as big a threat in E7 as it was in E5, I will be a tad upset.

T-R- likes this.
  11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why bring back the Empire? Isn't that rather unoriginal?

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Empire isn't fully destroyed. Problem solved.

T-R- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    You're right. TESB was pretty lame.

Pro Scoundrel , T-R-, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I think it's safe to assume that multiple Ewoks were slaughtered, although we only saw the one.

The villain in Episode VII would have to be so powerful, great, etc, for that to have any chance of working. On it's face, I think it would be a bad idea.

15. Master Brynn

Master Brynn Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2014
    I would like to see them do something unexpected.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Even He-Man and Skeletor had to work together once. Of course as with Dooku, Skeletor then betrayed He-Man as soon as he didn't need him anymore. That always happens in these situations. But yeah, the bad guys would have to be a very formidable threat to both parties in order for them to have to team up. I know it's been done a lot, but I do usually enjoy watching these uneasy alliances, so I'd probably be ok with it.

T-R- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Absolutely. The Empire only exists because of the Sith. It serves the Sith's totalitarian, Darwinian vision. The only difference between an average Imperial and a Sith is the ability to use the Darkside, imo. Fundamentally, they both believe in ultimate power and that the strong should rule. The Sith are the "spiritual" side and the Imperials are their material manifestation.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Well, during the OT the imperials were minions of the Sith, that doesn't mean that after the Emperor was killed that all imperial commanders suddenly lost interest in power. In fact, the opposite would happen. They would see the power vaccuum and try to fill it.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which was kind of why the Rebels did so well after Endor in the EU in the first place - the Imperials were killing one another off.

Pro Scoundrel , Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Again, it's not about realism as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I can see many possible scenarios where the Empire would work with the rebels to defeat a large threat but personally I simply don't want to see anything like that in the ST or any other stories for that matter. Plain and simple, the Imperials are the bad guys and the rebels are the good guys. The Empire represents everything evil our society can conjure up and I don't want to see them suddenly ally with the good guys.

21. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I support a villainous Imperial Remnant if the alternative is an army of Sith. Armies of lightsaber wielders are extremely boring.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    why can't we have both? An imperial remnant that includes inquisitors?

purplerain likes this.
  23. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I would not want to see the empire in the new ST. I would prefer the actions caused by the skywalker or solo family, within the confines of a small personal story/adventure, to explode into terrible ramifications for the rest of the galaxy. These Ramifications are not immediately seen but provide an excellent backstory to future films. A backstory that explains why the universe is in the chaos it currently is in. This eliminates the need to explain why. The same way in the OT there was no need to know where the empire came from...it was enough to know it was an empire to be feared. There were cryptic references to a great clone war and minimal exposure to the force and lightsaber wielding individuals. Im with the person who said no lightsaber armies. Less is more.

If anything the galaxy is bankrupt after funding palapatines personal galaxy quest. The subpar conditions on tatooine, hoth, or even coruscants underbelly should deteriorate even more. Other worlds should also fall under the weight of supply and demand or the lack there of. The criminal element should rise. The hutts should be ruling the galaxy. SOMEONE has to flll that power vacuum. The empire should be the sole reason for the non shiny exisitence of everyone. The galaxy should hold sith and jedi in contempt for allowing this conflict to become what it was. The rebellion should be a ghost of its former self. Because thats real life. If anytthing, and if another damn sith shows up I expect the galaxy to be like: Uh No....We are done with you two morons fighting and galaxy domination.

I see a more personal adventure with a backdrop of negativity and pressure from regular galatic citzens including former imperials and former rebellion supporters.... Much like how they hate droids in bars.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, that may be boring to you, but not everyone. I for one would enjoy seeing it. How boring it is really depends on how much drama they create with it. Maybe that's why some people found the AOTC fights boring? But surely saber battles are not inherently boring? That would be pretty odd considering sword fighting armies have long been a popular spectacle onscreen.

I agree TR that the Imperials would still crave power after ROTJ. I just don't think it would lead to much without Sith working with them. The Republic/Alliance will have Jedi in their corner and that will give them the edge. By the time of the ST, I expect the regional Governors will have been picked off one by one. Any Remnant leftover should be pathetic and desperate.

The only way teaming up with an Imperial Remnant might work, imo, is if we see that they've begun changing somehow, with new leadership less focused on totalitarianism. Maybe they've morphed into a sort of honorable militaristic society, with their own Order of Imperial Jedi. ;) (An old idea of mine the EU apparently has already stolen.)

rdhight likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    purplerain has just read too much EU, like I did. Sith armies don't really deliver what they promise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.