main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any Epic Stories Like The Mortis Storyline?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Bunnie, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunnie

Bunnie Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    I've been wondering about the Mortis trilogy (and the Carnage Of Krell cause that sounds good), but I'm wondering if it's that good.
    Mortis was amazing, from what I've heard. It involves Anakin with an epic fight between the Light and Dark side of the Force. In the preview of Alter of Mortis, I saw Ahsoka as a Sith? Pretty epic. Wonder how that turns out.
    So, should I get that, or something else? I know there's more to the series than Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka and I've been thinking of getting the Nightsister trilogy instead, cause Asajj Ventress is awesome. I loved her in To Catch a Jedi. Although, I haven't seen The Wrong Jedi yet. I need to. So yah, basically, I'm wondering if there are any other intriguing TCW stories like Mortis.

2. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    The Maul arc from season 5 is also very recommended.

I also love the bounty hunter arc in season 4 where Obi-Wan infiltrates them without Anakin knowing. :)

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Epic" is not the word I would use for Mortis.

Get the Nightsisters trilogy instead. Because Asajj Ventress is awesome.

klooney likes this.
  4. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Mortis, Umbara, Nighsisters, Shadow Conspiracy, Slaves of the Republic...those would probably fit the "epic" vibe it sounds like you're looking for.

5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I will NOT hear one more word against the Mortis trilogy and let it go unanswered. I think those episodes WERE and ARE the greatest episodes of the series - PERIOD. They hearken back to the visual tone pomes which Lucas once did in his pre-major features period; they describe the Force and philosophical concepts beautifully; the visuals are stunning; Sam Witwer's performance is heartbreaking in spots ("Father, what have you done! It did not have to be this way!"). Most importantly, they have great impact, not on TCW itself, but on the Saga AS A WHOLE. Other arcs in TCW have impact, to be sure, but none can make that claim in exactly that way (until, perhaps, the Yoda arc is out there, and that would most likely serve as a companion arc to Mortis to begin with).

I will agree with you, however, on the Nightsisters episodes - not because Ventress is awesome, but because that was the arc in which she began the transition into becoming a PERSON, rather than just the extension of the will of some other character, and THAT'S what's awesome about it.

6. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    The Yoda arc from the lost missions will probably be epic as Mortis arc - it's the same kind of arc :)

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool story.

When I'm watching a cartoon, I don't want "visual tone pomes" and "philosophical concepts". If I want that, I'll read Plato or Aristotle. When I'm watching a cartoon, I want to be entertained.

Mortis was not the least bit entertaining, and much like ROTS, featured Anakin behaving like a ****ing idiot.

Therefore it fails for me.

Opinions vary.

Great. [face_plain]

8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The Mortis Malarky is epic all right. An epic FAIL! Amirite, guys?

JackG and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I would say that the fugitive and Umbara arcs are as close to "epic" as TCW ever got. Not once did TCW ever raise the stakes to a point where I thought "Oh my god anyone could be killed off here and this could have a profound impact on the series", but for me those two arcs got as close to that tension as the show ever came. To put it another way, the fugitive arc was the first time I genuinely found myself unsure of whether or not the miracle padawan was going to walk away unscathed, and I wasn't entirely sure about Rex and Fives through most of Umbara, and I very much appreciated that uncertainty.

So yeah, I recommend Umbara on the whole. If nothing else, those are some pretty episodes.

EDIT:

On Mortis: Yeah I wouldn't use "epic" to describe them either. I enjoyed Overlords because of the visions and how they related back to the stories of the main characters that we're actually invested in, but then the next two episodes got completely derailed and bogged down in trying to make us care about random gods and their twenty minute long, ham-fisted metaphorical battle for all that's good and holy and I just did not care.

10. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    If you don't want philosophical concepts, then you're opposing a principal aspect of Star Wars - because they're all over the Saga. If they're not your favorite, that's fine, but they're as important an ingredient in the franchise as any other and more than most. If you want entertainment, believe me, you have bags of episodes with which to be entertained; don't act like you're being served the wrong meal at a restaurant just because they took a mere three episodes out of five whole seasons to discuss them. Philosophy IS the main course of the meal that is Star Wars; entertainment is, at best, the dessert.

Darthgoodguy and Darth_Harmon like this.
  11. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Look! The arena they're in looks like a Yin and Yang symbol! Like the Lightside versus Darkside! OMG, it's all like deep and philosophical and stuff!

Ugh...

JackG, EHT and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course. The main purpose of Star Wars is philosophy.

Because that's the main reason people pay $15 for movie tickets. They want a philosophy lesson. What, you think the film industry's main purpose is to entertain? How dare you! Star Wars isn't supposed to be fun. You're supposed to think deep thoughts*, this is srs bsns. [face_shame_on_you]

*My phone kept typing " derp thoughts". Probably appropriate given character behavior in that arc.

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  13. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    LOOK! The Son makes voices that kinda, sorta sound like characters from the films! OMG that's so profound!

WOW! Ahsoka is acting like a poor man's Harley Quinn! The character depth is off the charts!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maul Arc is the best

The Shadow Emperor and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005

Well said, I agree with you on Mortis. I really enjoyed the arc and its connections to the saga as a whole. I especially liked the allegorical take on Anakin's tragedy.

I tend to lurk and read others posts dissecting the arc more than post about the arc myself, and the episodes have lead to a lot of really interesting discussions. However, every time the arc is brought up on the forums, I scroll down and expect see a snarky post from a few of the resident haters reminding us how much they hate the arc. Quite honestly it really adds nothing to the discussion, aside from "oh hey guys! I hated it!", but it's not like we can stop people from voicing their opinions on the forums, and given the purpose of this topic at least the haters have an excuse to answer the topic creator. I just scroll past them when I see their usernames.

To answer the topic creator, I'd say watch it if you haven't already! It's up there with the important arcs of the series that impact the saga as a whole. I'd guess that tomorrow's Yoda arc will likely rival it in importance and similar tone.

The Krell arc is a great story that, like the upcoming Order 66 arc, enhances the Jedi vs. Clone aspects of Episode III. The Nightsisters and To Catch a Jedi arcs are also great, though they don't really impact the films. They're more important in furthering TCW character arcs.

16. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Look, most of these critiques are missing the point anyway:

Bunnie: You've heard all about the arc. If you've heard about it and didn't hate the sound of it, then you'll probably love it. Most opinions about Mortis have very little to do with its execution, and everything to do with its premise. And yes, the Yoda arc will be another along the same lines when it goes up on Netflix tomorrow... It's sort of a spiritual ending for the series.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    And I don't wish to engage in another fact vs opinion battle here, please.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Not even an epic fact vs. opinion battle? :D

19. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Epic to describe Mortis is sarcasm right? Right?

20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Nor do I, on this occasion; I'll be clear (and thought I already was) that I'm stating an OPINION only here. I make no claim that my opinion represents fact; I have already stated my purpose: to not yield the matter of the Mortis trilogy to its detractors with my opinion unspoken or my point-of-view undefended - the very purpose of a discussion board. The matter really deserves a specific thread at this point, devoted to an open and calm discussion of the issues involved or raised by the arc, but that is not the purpose of THIS particular thread.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Good, then we have nothing to discuss. ;)

As for Mortis, I'm done with that thing. The entire arc was scrutinized to death a few years back here in multiple threads.

22. Bunnie

Bunnie Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Umbara and the Nightsisters. I love Asajj Ventress. I loved Rookies and the Malevolence arc. Pretty good.
    Ohh. Huh. I'll have to read more about those stories. The Season 5 finale was good, too. I'm now wondering about the Nightsister arc. Is it good? I mean, like does it delve into Asajj's story or past? She's always interested me.

23. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    Yes, the Nightsister arc delves a bit into Ventress' backstory, namely her childhood, and how she became a Sith apprentice.

Bunnie likes this.
  24. Bunnie

Bunnie Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    Sounds awesome! Alright, now I know which arc to get. x3

25. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    This is a fact.......

Mortis were not the best episodes of this show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.