main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    And this comes from George Lucas, the man who invented Dantooine and Tatooine, had Alderaan and let Onderon exist in TCW. I guess now Dantooine has to be named Dooberfroot. I can't wait for Carrie Fisher and Cushing's voice double to dub in "Dooberfroot" in ANH.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh god.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But we're fans. Fans are stupid. Too stupid to notice that Vader threw Palpatine down the reactor and yelled "NOOOO! NOOOOOO!" 35 years afterwards. Too stupid to notice that genetically programmed obedient clones instantly become disobedient when kids decide they're cool.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Only if Onderon later becomes EnsambleofRonJeremy.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    One's the capital of the Republic and a massive city-planet and the other is the home of the Sith and a desert. No comparison at all.

Change is not always good and this along with the Vader NO! in ROTJ prove this.

darthosaka and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I love this change! I'm excited to be a part of it!

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Changing a (relatively) small but very vital detail that's been a mainstay in the mythology for nearly two decades for no better reason than " just felt like it, deal" is so wonderfully Lucas.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I sincerely believe that Lucas was concerned that people would find it confusing.

Edit: Anyway, the Japan/Nippon thing holds so who even cares.

darthosaka and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  9. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Remember this is the person who named Obi-wan's home planet Stewjon(let that one sink in) after Jon Stewart, all bets are off :p

Random Comments likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I believe so, too. Of course, in Lucasland, that translates to the cigar chomping executive on his immediate right being possibly confused, and not the people who, y'know, actually watch the show.

11. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Sure, it's only probably the single most well known EU planet that's been featured or mentioned in every major media release that's NOT the films or TCW. :/

Surely people are too dumb to know that a big red rocky planet of evil is not the same as big city planet. Nope. They could never figure it out on their own.

12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Most well known by which criteria?

I would guess Nar Shaddaa is, but I have no idea what non-EU people know about, or even what EU-curious people know about, so I have to admit I have no clue.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    KOTOR is very, very popular (in which Korriban played an important part), at least among a certain demographic. We could argue all day about how important that demographic is in the "grand scheme" and accomplish precisely nothing, but since we're all posting on a Star Wars forum and are presumably very used to that...

This is not a change that's going to shake any foundations. It's just a mildly amusing gesture by a man who has long since proven he has little respect for the universe he built and for the people who contribute to it. In other words, it's just Lucas being Lucas. Nothing to see here.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    DEVIL'S ADVOCATE

What other creator respects what other people do in their universe, or even let other people do it? I think people are unfair to Lucas. He can do whatever he wants, and it's not disrespect on his part to do what he wants with his IP. And if the bar is set that high, it's not a problem anymore, but I suppose it remains to be seen if Disney is a savior in that regard. I feel like there's this unrealistic standard that is expected here.

15. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I still don't get how Anakin was supposed to be the hero of the NJO when he already died in ROTJ.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    How much respect does everyone have for Lucas now-a-days? Yes, thank you for the Saga but no thank you for all of the changes to the Saga

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    A prophesied hero named Anakin.

darthosaka and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010
    Honestly, I'm excited to at least see Korriban in some form, though hoping it's not Karked up too much beyond a mere name change.

But really? We should probably expect Bane, the magical flying pink pixy love Sith to tempt Yoda with seduction to the Dark side of the bed at this rate. Voiced by Mark Hamill.

darthosaka and DigitalMessiah like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm surprised it hasn't leaked yet who Hamill is voicing.

Fingers crossed for Bane with flowing long hair and a Joker voice.

darthosaka likes this.
  20. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Darth Bane will look and act exactly the same but his name will be changed to Darth Death so people don't confuse him with Cad Bane.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I really didn't want to drag this out, because as I've said it's such a small thing that effects no one in any substantial way, but...

To answer your question, plenty.

Joss Whedon. Stan Lee/Jack Kirby. Bruce Timm/Paul Dini. Gene Roddenberry. Sydney Newman. Brian K. Vaughan. James Cameron. Every creator of any Role Playing universe. Hell, while we're add it let's just add the showrunner to any serialized television series, particularly the longrunning ones that outlast that showrunner.

You could argue that every single one of those cases are very different from George Lucas and Star Wars, and you'd be right. There's only one Star Wars, after all. It's a highly specific case. The problem with George Lucas is not that he has ideas that he feels take precedence over the others; the problem is exactly the opposite. He doesn't seem to have any ideas. When you feel the need to change something so small for absolutely no reason, you don't come off as artistic or creative. You come off as petty and bored. There's a very good reason why many attribute the writing failures of the PT to Lucas' "unrestrained" ideas. Looking at some of the original ideas for the OT, it's clear that it was a very good thing that Lucas had people who were willing to tell him when he had a bad idea, and that it needed to be changed or reasoned out.

A creator is not obligated to have respect for the work others do with their original properties. He's certainly not obligated to have respect for his fans. I'm not obligated to hold the door open for a little old lady on a walker. But I do it anyway, because it lets me pretend I'm a decent person. I'm not suggesting that George Lucas dirty his hands with an EU novel. I only ask that when someone (I'll just say Filoni here because THANKS FILONI) tells Lucas that the Sith homeworld has a name already, he actually consider if it's truly worth changing. And if it is, it really should be for an even halfway decent reason. That it "sounds too similar to Coruscant, which by the way is another world named by an author that isn't me" is a laughable reason.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I remember an Episode III rumor or alleged draft or something, which I believe was probably from Supershadow, that suggested the reason why Sidious killed Darth Plagueis was because his "power to save others from death, but not himself" was a selfless power and Plagueis was getting a bit too close to the light side.

Edit: I guess Lucas should have just named Coruscant "Had Abaddon" in Episode I and cut this off at the pass. All those showrunners don't own their IPs. Anyway, I tend to get weirded out when this turns into Lucas being an immoral person or something. Like I don't even want to go there. Seriously. Lucas should just not have had an EU at all if he's a rude person for not being bound by it.

23. HEDGESMFG

Nov 20, 2010

I'm expecting this.

24. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Actual photo of Darth Bane....er Darth Death

[​IMG]

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004