main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Eleven-ThirtyEight and stuff

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 8, 2013.

?

Well?

1. I don't care

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. Hm, neat

49 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. OMG COOPER IS MY HERO

44 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just a friendly moderating note: we try to criticize the posts, not the posters. While you might well think that a person's retrograde (or just sheltered) opinions mark them as a terrible person, you shouldn't comment on such.

It's very easy to get heated on things like this, especially the nearer and dearer these causes are. But even forum rules aside, let's just try to stay on the high road too and never make it personal. Focus on the cause and not the people.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah as wrong as people may be, try to feel sorry for them rather than angry at them. Take the high road.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Although I can totally get feeling angry. I certainly do sometimes. I just keep it out of my posts because I'm not very persuasive when I'm just yelling at or belittling somebody I'm trying to convince.

Well, more accurately I make a post and immediately get second thoughts about certain parts and edit it about five times in five minutes until it appears calm and reasonable instead of heated and angry. [face_shhh]

That's the nice thing about the high road. It's not only principled, but it makes you and more importantly -- your argument -- look better.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    There's your secret. For hair, it's Maybelline, for Jello it's post-editing.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but if I'm quoted in those first five minutes I have to just roll with it. Luckily I'm good at throwing myself into last minute rhetorical contortions.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Posters make the posts, yes, but I don't see any single poster being singled out here except Contessa. Add that certain users here, including staff, have been tossing the term "racism" and "racist" at posters who think/thought the possibility of Sabine being asian was a positive thing with no rebuke - well lets just say I don't see why it is alright for only one side of the "discussion" to get to play with labels.

Contessa likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The emphasis is on the part about "asterisks people" -- that's not desirable, whether those users are specified or not. It's the conduct that's at issue, not whether people are "called out" -- as noted, it is absolutely legitimate to call out individuals for bad arguments but just not to call them bad people. It's about not getting personal.

And as to the users you refer to, as I recall these discussions about Sabine that Mia's article referred to occurred in LACWAC, yes? I can't do much about that except open a dialogue with the mods there. If you see it happening in Lit though and it goes un moderated or unnoticed, then please feel free to bring it to my attention via PM or post tag.

It's a rule that applies to everybody, even if you see incidents falling through the cracks.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    CooperTFN likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't agree with you but I'm proud anyway.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Now, now, I don't hate them.

I just want them marginalized, traumatized, or vaporized if they're trying to get involved with the Rebellion.

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Technically Starkiller isn't a Jedi.

RC-1991 likes this.
  13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    No, he's a Mandalorian.

[​IMG]

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Interesting. I like Jeff Bridges as Booster

I vaguely recall Union casting a few characters - Tommy Lee Jones as (I think) Janson, Bruce Willis as Kam Solusar (the resemblances at least do look intentional) - any thoughts?

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Steve Buscemi as Some Guy. Don't forget Steve Buscemi as Some Guy. And Jack Nicholson as Some Other Guy.

17. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Bruce Campbell is Talon Karrde. There is no other option.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

IT WAS PREORDAINED

Kylun, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  18. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    A bunch of white people and a furry companion. Seems like legit Star Wars to me.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He's not a companion! He's a MASTERMIND! Don't diss the Gryph!

Iron_lord, Gamiel and Mia Mesharad like this.
  20. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

[​IMG]

Season 2 Blackadder

Iron_lord, RC-1991 and Gorefiend like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, fine, who's Baldrick?

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Jello speaketh truth to power, and power respondeth.
    1. Eleven-ThirtyEight@eleventhirtyate 38m
      On Tuesday, Jay offered his thoughts on @JamesSACorey's Honor Among Thieves. #swearhat4ever http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2014/03/honor-among-thieves-blueprint-for-the-future-eu/ #SWEU
    2. @eleventhirtyate That Noghri slip made it past about a hundred eyes, sadly.
    Edit: oh, and then this happened:

Jason Fry @jasoncfry
    .@eleventhirtyate You need to put Jay on timeout till he reads the Daley trilogy. As someone who appreciates character, he'll love it. #SWEU

Gorefiend, RC-1991 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    hahaha, I really do just need to read the trilogy and then do a writeup on it.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You'll need to find a copy first unless you opt for ebook version, it's out of print.