main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Yes, I could have stopped there. I didn't.

I kept going because people need to be aware of their situation, and they're clearly not. Whatever the EU is going to be in the future, what we precisely knew it as to this point is OVER. It's over because Lucas and his successors obviously WANT it to be over, regardless of reasons. To say that is neither condescending nor "getting in a tizzy"; it is a cold, hard FACT. And regardless of what elements from the present EU are carried over (and there may - I repeat, MAY - be parts that will be, but there is no guarantee of that as yet), the name Korriban is already gone - by Lucas' own decision. People are still resisting this fact as if they have a say in it; they don't. They're acting like this is a very important thing that's being taken from them; it isn't. It's a NAME - a name that doesn't exist, for a place that doesn't exist. And that's ALL it is.

VanishingReality, Zer0 and cwustudent like this.
  2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I dunno. I think people have every right to complain and be angry. Especially when you take into account the fact that every single Lucas made retcon has been worse than what was originally canon.

And yes, it's just a name. So, why was it so important for GL to change it? More petty "I just want MY take out there," nonsense?

3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If you yell at a rock for not being a flower, does the rock become a flower? Yes, you can complain and be angry, but in the end, to what result? Korriban will still be Moraband at the end of the day.

Without any snark, I genuinely encourage you to state your very valid opinion all you want, as openly and honestly as you possibly can. Korriban will still be Moraband at the end of the day.

Worse according to whom? Not to Lucas. Not to the people at LFL or Disney. And probably not to the potential viewers, many of whom wouldn't know Korriban from Adam. This is a viewpoint reserved only for us here, not for the rest of the world.

What really bothers me about this entire controversy is that it is practically the ONLY thing I read about in regards to these episodes. If I had to stack up the questions regarding this name against posts where they express legitimate positive interest in seeing them, or curiosity about what they're going to say, it'd be a pretty lopsided balance. Continuity is the ONLY issue regarding these episodes about which people seem to have any interest; everything else doesn't seem to matter at all. Now, someone can try to answer me by saying that they haven't seen them yet and they therefore have little else to talk about - but then that still speaks to a misplacement of priorities. People shouldn't HAVE to have seen them to have an interest in something other than whether they changed a canon that is already doomed.

The Lucasfilm Story Group has made it clear from the beginning that the continuity we have known to date will not and cannot remain perfectly intact. Moving forward, some of it MAY remain intact, but some of it WILL be altered, ignored, or overwritten. It's not a question of right or wrong; it simply IS. Furthermore, Lucas himself made it clear from the beginning that said continuity always WOULD be altered, ignored or overwritten if he chose to do so, at any time, according to the needs of the story he's trying to tell. One cannot yell at an inevitably-moving machine and expect it to stop; it's going to go on. It's a shame and a complete waste of time to get this upset over something that simply IS. Now, someone can try to answer me by saying that I'm wasting my own time by answering with this - but it's become obvious that SOMEONE has to say it. And that's not snarky; it's not getting in a tizzy; it's a clear and necessary reminder that a lot of people seem to be caring about the wrong things here.

You know what I care about? I care about seeing Yoda go on an adventure. I care about knowing more about how the Force works. I care about seeing a little more about Dagobah. I care about the fact that these Sages we're going to see could be possibly the closest thing we're ever going to get from Lucas regarding the Whills and who they were and what they were about (I'm not saying they're going to BE the Whills; I'm saying they're going to come as close as it will probably ever come for the foreseeable future). I want to see what trials a character as powerful as Yoda has to undergo. I want to learn more about the immortality trick. I want to see Qui-Gon Jinn again. I want to see what happens on the Sith homeworld, regardless of what name it bears. I want to see an explanation of the differences between the Jedi and Sith belief systems. And I want to see all this as George Lucas sees it, not as others do; I want to see his parting statement on the philosophical underpinnings of this Saga, which is one of the primary elements that elevates it above being common science-fiction drivel. It's partly what makes it WORTH all the attention we give it.

Does it really matter why he changed it? It's changed; that's it. Done. If I had to pick a reason (and I emphasize that it is ONLY my guess) it's because the new name allowed Lucas to continue to make more subtle points about his ideas. He probably liked the word "moribund," meaning "dying," and decided to change the planet's name to something resembling that word in order to reiterate his philosophical point about the Sith and what they believe. I don't see that as petty, and the people who see it that way seem to have a unique point of view on pettiness. Whether they feel justified or not, they're still looking at this from an entirely negative viewpoint. And for all their hand-wringing, it won't make any difference; it certainly won't make a difference at LFL. Korriban will still be Moraband at the end of the day.

I honestly don't approach these episodes with apprehension, like so many people seem to be doing; I'm EXCITED. People can choose to be one or the other. It's entirely up to them. But regardless of what choice they make, Korriban will still be Moraband at the end of the day.

4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Todd EDIT: No personal attacks.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Alright, enough of the personal comments and general vitriol. Let's also try to move the Korriban/Moriband discussion to one of the continuity threads. Or better yet the Bonus Content thread, since it's technically a spoiler.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Can we make a "Mortis/Moriband Fun Times Thread"? [face_batting]

:p

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's called the Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes. ;) That's where everyone can panic.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Dammit, I'm kinda bummed all these episodes are going to be up on Netflix tomorrow. I'm excited to see them don't get me wrong but its just all going to be over so quick. I don't have the self control not to marathon through them tomorrow night.

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Sunday and Monday are my days off, so I don't get the luxury of marathoning them tomorrow night, unless I want Saturday to suck. I probably just won't be poking my head into many TCW threads until I'm finished.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah, I wish I had the immaturity to play hooky to watch a damn cartoon. I'm glad to have my weekends back. I might end up working Saturday as I might get drafted to handle some big announcement by the company I work for (Murphy's law at its finest) but I'm definitely going to watch these soon. I just wish these episodes had come out one or two at a time instead of all of them being there to marathon. That feeling when ya get to the end of a good show and there is no more to watch kinda sucks, particularly when it just stops do to cancellation.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll probably be too tired to marathon through them all tomorrow night. I've got to make the choice between watching Anakin beat the crap out of Clovis, which I've been looking forward to since 2012; or saving the best for last and watching the Yoda or Order 66 arcs first. From the little bit I've heard, I'm afraid the Order 66 arc is going to piss me off and the Yoda arc is just going to leave me wanting that 66 minutes of my life back. I hope I'm wrong; I was not at all optimistic about the younglings arc in season 5 and ended up liking it well enough.

Regardless...I'm glad to get new shows.

We've survived a year-long summer in LACWAC. I'm pretty sure this community can handle pretty much anything now. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I wonder what time it will be available?

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    At an hour not conducive to humans.

About four hours from now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

3 am

15. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Good thing I bought beer, I guess.

16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
  17. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Fantastic article!

Watto likes this.
  18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Very powerful and extremely articulate in pointing out the flawed nature of the Order and how it could've pretend Anakin falling. So true.

darth fluffy and Iron_lord like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Why Ahsoka Tano is the best thing to happen to Star Wars in 20 years."

LOL wut? At least they didn't say "37 years." I would have gone into rage mode.

"Ahsoka's death would make narrative sense." In other news, Hoth is a cold planet. And I totally agree with the paragraph that follows. It lists the reasons I assumed she would die, even in the first two seasons when I really liked her.

"She will die...as a fully realized character that helped highlight the Jedi's flaws." *headdesk* I knew it. She was deliberately used to throw the well-intentioned old Order under the bus. We were supposed to come out of that final arc with one particular "correct" opinion--Snips is great, the Council sucks and probably deserved Order 66, or we are at least supposed to play the "blame the victim" game--if the Order had been, well, different people with different rules, they wouldn't have died. Can't blame Palpatine at all, he was just being a Sith and that's what Sith do, they kill Jedi.

Yeah, **** that ****.

Next paragraph I agree with. Ahsoka was great as a "little sister" figure and it's cool that kids wanted to be her on Halloween.

Next couple of paragraphs: tl;dr Let me tell you how much the Jedi suck. Oh, and did we mention that the war itself is all the Jedi's fault? Because they started it or something. They also used the clone army to kill Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Hate the Jedi, kids.

"She is far closer to being on equal footing with the Masters." LOL wut? She's 17 years old. More independent than season one is understandable, but that's ridiculous.

There is "more to the world than 'Jedi good, Sith bad'", but at the same time, unless we're throwing out one of the main points of the entire saga in order to make Ahsoka into "the best thing that happened to Star Wars," we are still supposed to understand that "Jedi good, Sith bad."

Next couple of paragraphs: tl;dr Anakin is awesome, the Jedi are a bunch of losers. As much as I love TCW Anakin...no.

Next paragraph: tl; dr The Jedi were so terrible that no wonder Barriss wanted to blow them all up.

Next paragraph: tl; dr The Jedi were terrible because they didn't give Ahsoka enough warm fuzzies when they asked her back into the Order. The Jedi have never done warm fuzzies, it's not who they are--maybe that makes them terrible too?

Anakin needed to reform the Jedi with Ahsoka's help. ROTFLMAO. Rule #1: Anakin should get to do what Anakin wants. Rule #2: If Anakin is ever told "no," refer to rule #1.

Last paragraph: tl;dr. The Jedi Order killed the Old Republic and deserved to die.

Sadly, Ahsoka could have been a great character in the overall Star Wars universe, if she were not developed specifically as a tool for anti-Jedi sentiment among fans.

The best thing about that article is that it confirms my long-time suspicion that she was intentionally developed that way. Again, disgusting. Any propaganda that makes genocide victims appear as anything other than victims is disgusting.

20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The article above was written by a blogger and fan, so it's interpretation, but I happen to agree with most of it. I wouldn't take it as gospel of any kind confirming full intentions of the creators, so it's perfectly acceptable to debate the concepts.

How boring it would have been if they just killed off Ahsoka because everyone "expected" that to happen. A lot of people wanted this so that their internal logic could be satisifed. It was always a tough proposition to have a full series take place in this period that was sandwiched between events that we already knew about, so it's easy to wish for the most logical choice that doesn't upset continuity, but it's IMHO more creatively satisfying to develop a character and story that defies expectations and brings something new to the saga.

The Jedi were represented in the Prequels and the Clone Wars as an order of good, but with some deep flaws. The Prequels scrambled to try to represent this along with the rest of the plot in a short time span, but didn't really get the full point across. Arcs like the Season 5 finale added to that full picture of the flaws that faced the order. It's just more realistic to show them in full light of the issues with getting caught up in the bureaucracy they were in, instead of the strictly black and white angle.

By the end of the S5 finale, I was totally in Ahsoka's corner thinking "Srsly?!" when Mace went on about letting her back in and that being her great trial. It's kinda like one of those WTF moments you have with your parents... you love them and all, but sometimes they are just oblivious to the current reality because of their frame of mind being stuck somewhere else.

The mention of the Jedi role as genocide victims is a bit internet-flammatory, but I think it's interesting to compare them to other victims. The Jedi were an order of extremely powerful individuals, basically super heroes, so I think the question is how did they flip to become such victims. It's one thing to look at helpless victims but the Jedi clearly had some issues if they could be duped like this with their power historically being as such.

I look forward to more stories with Ahsoka as it would have been really dissapointing to devleop this POV character who many really grew to love only to do the thing that everyone expected and kill her. She's going to fulfill her own hero's journey and find a place in the galaxy, quitting the Jedi was not her absolute ending. Now the possibilities are endless for where she will go next and I can't wait to see what that is.

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    For those who missed in the flurry of the bonus content thread, here are a couple of interviews with Filoni that address some of the questions we've had on cancellation, Netflix distribution, Ahsoka, and future Clone Wars content:
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/07/clone-wars-final-episodes-interview/

This one has some cheezy entertainment reporting aspects, but I like Filoni's comments on the future of the Clone Wars:

FRAGWAGON and cwustudent like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is a world of difference between "good but flawed" and "helped bring about their own destruction." The former is expected, the latter is blaming the victim. And it doesn't matter whether the Jedi were superheroes; Order 66 made it obvious that that didn't stop them from being victims.

My stance on Ahsoka in that final arc has not changed and I see no need to repeat it; I am no more in her corner now than I was when the arc premiered and the first of 63649 debates began. I'll leave it at that.

I don't think she should have died over continuity issues or any sort of expectations. I think it would have made a great story and would have contributed to Anakin's character arc, especially if he felt he could have prevented her death. That would have made a much better story than "let's use this character as a tool to promote our pet theory that the PT Jedi sucked."

That has nothing to do with Ahsoka herself; it might have also made a great story if she had left the Jedi on good terms, maybe she wanted to marry Lux or otherwise decided their way of life wasn't for her.

But that's not what happened. We were supposed to absorb the message that "the Jedi are horrible evil people--see?" I'm not buying it.

The PT may have tried to promote the idea that the Jedi were dogmatic and inflexible, but how many people were in Anakin's corner during the PT, especially by the end of ROTS? And was it the writer's intention that we be in Anakin's corner, or Palpatine's? Or was Order 66 supposed to horrify us?

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think it's awesome, and somewhat appropriate, that the first and last episodes of TCW are about Yoda (Ambush and Sacrifice). Unintentional, maybe, but still awesome.

24. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I hadn't even thought of that, but that's a great way to look at it

Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Maybe they did that on purpose

Revanfan1 likes this.