main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Qui-Gon Jinn and the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo Base, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "The overriding philosophy in Episode I - and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter - is the balance between good and evil. The Force itself breaks into two sides: the living Force and a greater, cosmic Force. The living Force makes you sensitive to other living things, makes you intuitive, and allows you to read other people's minds, et cetera. But the greater Force has to do with destiny. In working with the Force, you can find your destiny and you can choose to either follow it, or not." - Lucas

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yet, Qui-Gon discovers Anakin, the crucible of the Jedi and their philosophical lethargy, and Jar Jar Binks, a "pathetic life form", bumbler, and unwitting pawn in the creation of the Army of the Republic. Qui-Gon was right about one thing...the negotiations were short. The Living Force works in mysterious ways, indeed.

Dra---, DanielUK and StoneRiver like this.
  4. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Thanks Arawn_Fenn

Good to know where this breaks in the movie knowledge / meta-knowledge field.

5. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    I love the Qui-Gon character, even if he doe's start the slaughter of 99% of the jedi. However, He is not needed for VII. Like someone posted previously there is no point in using a character Luke has no connection with when there is Yoda, Kenobi and Anakin?

It would be great to see how Anakin plays apart in the new trilogy though.

6. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Don't get me wrong, I love the PT and agree that being anti-prequel would suck but I'm not directing it, and the ST is going to be catering to a pretty wide audience. I'm just going to be really surprised if Qui Gon makes an appearance, I'd love to be surprised though.

Dra--- and Palpatine2016 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Liam Neeson is arguably a bigger star now than he was in TPM, I get the feeling they'll toss him in there for a Force Ghost-y cameo. He's already got a few TCW episodes under his belt!

Immortiss likes this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't think we'll be seeing Qui-Gon appear in the ST. We could hear him though
    Qui-Gon can't retain his physical form like Yoda and Obi-Wan because he didn't pass his trials/tests from the Sages/Whills. That's why we only hear his voice.

StoneRiver, Immortiss and Diggs like this.
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Can't you retake them... like a driving test? The Whills could make a fortune out of that... ;)

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So,
    Jinn failed his trials and can't become a ghost. How in the world can he train Yoda and Obi-Wan then as indicated by Yoda at the end of RotS?
    *#%$^#$%$#$#^& Retcons!!!

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    When you watch the episodes you'll see that
    Qui Gon is a facilitator to the training... he was tasked with showing Yoda the way... as he will be tasked with showing Obi-Wan... However, it's the Whills (or whoever they are) who actually 'do it'.

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Interesting. Not exactly what Yoda implied by "training" in RotS.

13. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

You should chill and watch the episodes.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There's no retcon IMO. I've always felt it was heavily implied that Qui-Gon hadn't achieved the full power that Yoda and Obi-Wan did. I think it's the reason his body didn't disappear and why only his voice is heard in film and scripts. It's always possible that a trainee may be able to learn to use a power more effectively then their trainer.

EHT, StoneRiver, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  15. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well quite... but it does make it much more interesting. Qui-Gon...
    ... basically gives Yoda the same instruction as Yoda gave to Luke on Dagobah. So these episodes very much expand the notion of what's behind the training rather than undermining certain dialogue from previous films.

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    General reminder to hide TCW spoilers [face_peace]

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, please. Most of your anger TR is caused by jumping to conclusions.

Seriously...if I was Qui-Gon, I'd be all like

Let me take that test again ********! Why do I only get to be a ******** voice? But seriously, it is possible Qui-Gon could retake the tests for some reason. Although I don't find it very probable. TCW makes it sound like the Priestesses mainly want a few Jedi around to reignite the Order in the OT. And also it seems their "Trials" test the essence of a person such that they probably can't change enough to ever pass if they don't. What do you think?

StoneRiver, Darth PJ and Immortiss like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I found this interesting Qui-Gon picture on Wookieepedia:

[​IMG]

I really hope the ST filmmakers take inspiration from it when creating the ST. Jinn-Crucified! It'd be so friggin Metal.

19. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I love the character, but I don't think we need him for the ST.

20. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Although Qui-Gon is my favorite Jedi after Obi-Wan, I think the Sequel Trilogy needs to find its own identity and characters.

The Prequels were very different from the OT, even if prequel characters have found their way into the original films (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin/Vader, Palpatine, the droids). Likewise, characters from the OT will carry over into Episode VII (Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, the droids), but on the whole, the [three] trilogies seem to have their own main players.

Qui-Gon, Cad Bane, Bail Organa, the Trade Federation or even Darth Plagueis belong in the Prequel Era.

I'd like the new films to be different from the two previous trilogies, while of course taking place in the same universe.

Darth PJ likes this.
  21. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well I'd prefer for the ST to have the least possible ties with the PT or the OT to make sure it achieves its own definition of what Star Wars is, but Qui-Gon Booze showing up would probably indicate deep philosphical undertones. And I love philosophical undertones.

22. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Not possible. Liam Neeson is busy pursuing comedy work:

23. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    As I noted above somewhere, Qui-Gon appearing at the end in some capacity would book-end the trilogy nicely.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

If they could make it serve the story, Luke communing with Qui-gon on Tattooine in Ep. IX would be a nice mirror to Qui-gon and Anakin in Ep. I

Echo Base likes this.
  25. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    He'll NEVER make it as a comedian!!

Darth_Downunder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.