main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Missed or wasted opportunities in the show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    From what I've seen of it I feel huge opportunities were missed regarding presenting Tarkin and Dooku as what they were: men that are grey like everyone else in SW. Likewise the divergence in manner between Obi-Wan and Anakin is quite jarring.

2. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    THIS was something I wanted to see badly. Missed opportunity. I'm surprised the show never had Owen or Beru on for even an episode. I wonder if they ever considered it at all. I really would have liked the whole Anakin/Obi-Wan/Owen thing to be fleshed out more.

I agree too that Mace vs Dooku was a missed opportunity for some lightsaber awesomeness.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    The novel Labyrinth of Evil does explore this particular subplot; through a series of events―beginning with Obi-Wan and Anakin discovering Nute Gunray's mechno-chair from which he communicated with Sidious―the Jedi begin an investigation that leads them to the LiMerge Building in the Works, where Dooku was believed to have met with his Sith Master. Neither Sith was present during the raid, but they were able to trace a path that Sidious took to the Industrial Sector from the Senate area. A team of Republic investigators follow a series of underground tunnels all the way to the basement of the Senate Republica building, where Sidious has a secret lair, but due to the invasion of Coruscant the Jedi are too busy defending the planet against Grievous' assault, and the investigators are killed off by Sidious' guards before they ever were able to report their findings to the Jedi or the Republic. I highly recommend LoE if you are curious to learn more about just how close the Jedi actually were to uncovering the second Sith during the final days of the war.

4. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    The whole 13 Episodes seemed to be hugely more miss than anything.

I have watched them all twice now and they were bordering ridiculous than exciting. Despite the fact that I didn't care for TCW from the start - I still kept watching every episode. The anticipation to see these 13 episodes grew and I pre-warned my fiancee that this weekend was a Clone Wars weekend. So I watched online and my smile quickly disappeared.

The Disappeared 1 & 2 have to be the most ridiculous episodes of TCW i've had the misfortune of watching and hugely sits alongside The Star Wars Holiday Special. Truly awful and 50 minutes wasted when I could have been in the pub. Pure drivel.

The Unknown/Conspiracy/Fugitive and Orders: Why delve into something that was supposed to remain a mystery when the Jedi were supposed to be caught off guard in ROTS with Order 66. If the EU is canon (LOL) then why would the Jedi be made aware of a chip implanted that supposedly malfunctions, Tup kills Tiplar and then after a good attempt on playing the fugitive (it picked up a notch) it's later brushed aside as a parasite from drinking water. Like the Masters would buy that crap.

Yoda's story arc just didn't work. Great to see Darth Bane as an illusion (and voiced by Hamill) but it was one long winded story revealing things that didn't need to be told. Why did we need to see Ahsoka - there was no need.

Chancellor Vallorum (A name that Tim Curry couldn't pronounce) looked awful. And on the subject of Tim Curry - he shouldn't have been cast as Palpatine/Sidious. It didn't work at all.

It held promise in places - but fell quicker than a severed hand into the atmosphere of Bespin. Despite the huge build up of TCW: The Lost Missions - to me it was a wasted opportunity. To be honest, if this was the level of storytelling they were aiming for it is no wonder that the series was cancelled. I was considering buying a complete box set if they ever were to release one - but after seeing those episodes, i'd rather save my money and spend it on music and bad things instead. [face_tired]

5. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    So that whole, Palpatine has something for Maul to do isn't going to see the light of day? Well that was a wasted opportunity.

And I am to assume Askoka was wiped out in the purge?

Also that Yoda arc was pretty disappointing... not even a Luke Skywalker cameo and a bunch of Midi Chlorian talk.... yuck.

6. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Learning about Talzin's backstory and motives.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you except for The Disappeared. I was entertained by everything other than Jar-Jar having a girlfriend, and even that was funny in an absurd way.

TaradosGon and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There were a lot less missed opportunities in this season than in other previous seasons.

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Explaining Palpatine's facial transformation. (I noticed in the last Order 66 episode that Palpatine looks the way he does in AOTC publicity photos).

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    A really sad missed opportunity in my opinion is that the priestesses in Yoda's S6 arc were not identified as Whills even though they seemed to match what had been expected of Whills. I believe that word goes all the way back to very first outline GL ever made for SW. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear that name dropped...

11. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but a massively missed opportunity was the failure to put Delta Squad to good use. Ever since they were shown in the Nightsisters arc in season 3, I was anxious to hear news of an arc in a future season focusing on them going on a mission to some CIS compound or something. But alas, it never happened. It's really a shame, as their models were all made up and ready to go.

Mia Mesharad and Circular Logic like this.
  12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I would have liked to see an episode set before TPM, with young Obi Wan and Satine first meeting. They could be taken my Mandos and Qui Gon has to rescue them.

Yes, I want a Taken parody in SW. Problem?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Ittoogami

Ittoogami Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2014
    This was one of the decisions about TCW that angered me the most. Adapting one of the very weak comics that accompanied TCW, and that featured some of the worst artwork since Marvel Star Wars, to the screen instead of doing Ostrander/Duursema the honor at least one time, considering also that TCW somehow erased their Clone wars work.

14. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    It is a shame that the show was cancelled. It just occurred to me that I'd have loved a Barriss in Prison episode/arc. Preferably done in the style of those prison-exploitation films.

15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, I found Slaves of the Republic and In Service of the Republic to be the highlights of the otherwise childish TCW comic tie-ins, and while neither should be praised for their art, their story work was pretty decent.

TCW didn't erase Jon and Jan's material. The only real conflict with Republic came with Obsession, which was Hayden Blackman. Everything pre-Dreadnoughts of Rendili merely takes place before the show, with the handful of other issues relating to Anakin and Obi-Wan fitting in between episodes.

The only problem with TCW's adapting something from Republic is that, even using one of their own series' tie-ins, they still felt the need to go in and alter the hell out of it. Considering the way they visually altered the Zygerrians, I can't say I'd be eager to see Jan's beautiful artwork twisted into some random other thing for the most arbitrary of reasons.

Contessa likes this.
  16. Bo916

Bo916 Jedi Knight

Jan 19, 2006
    Any mention of Plagueis would have been nice. More Windu fights.

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    My biggest opportunities that never were...

The failure to really show the republic committing some big atrocity in the wars, something like bulldozing a planet misguidedly to keep it out of the hands of the CIS. How about the Republic gets into bio warfare? To boring? I thought that Mandalore at the end of season five might be a candidate for something like that since Obi-wan left it a total mess and the way was cleared for the Separatist to come in and try to help out only to have the republic come in.

Lack of villain centric episodes. God dammit I am force to say again, I am not as well versed in Star Wars as many of others here on this board. I was kinda hoping TCW would introduce me to the Separatists and flesh them out more. I'm left with no real sympathy for their cause and see them the same way as I did in AOTC which put the bad guy stamp right on Dooku's forehead. Now we didn't need episodes focusing on Dooku so much as we needed an OC on that side who truly believed in the cause and that he was a good guy from that perspective. That's just the same as how we had Ahsoka to show us the Clone Wars through a young Jedi's eyes and Rex for what it was like to be a clone.

As neat as Krell was he was ultimately just a prop character that existed to drive the clones hard enough they would eventually take his ass down and one of them would shoot him in the back like the slimy space dog he was. I wish there had been more Jedi who became disenfranchised by the war. More who just didn't like the clones. I wish there had been a Jedi version of Cut Lawquane. I wish there had been a Jedi that had switched to the CIS wholeheartedly believing the Republic was this evil pocket of puss. Characters like this could work as actual rivals which would have added alot of tension.

For that matter TCW really needed more OCs of all kinds because it was always so predictable and held back by the movie characters and characters I knew were never gonna die like Ahsoka. I remember folks calling for a duel between Mace and Dooku. Yeah, sure that would look cool but in the end we know nothing big is really going to go down in that. It'll end with a lame fight to a draw. This is why Maul turned out to be one of best things that happened to TCW. That's because he became an actual honorary OC villain with a fate not predetermined which actually made him a menace. It was so much fun to root for Obi-wan up against him.

And we needed that bounty hunters vs pirate war! And... and... think I better go lay down before I bust a blood vessel. I think I missed the point of this thread. x.x;

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    An arc about Sith philosophy and ideology. It would have made for an interesting contrast with the Yoda arc.

19. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    An episode featuring a day in the life of Palpatine, showing his machinations as a Sith Lord as well as his political/off hours life, would have been amazing.

20. xie323

xie323 Jedi Padawan

Jan 8, 2014
    I liked TCW but here are the missed opportunities:

-Some villain centric episodes, especially on Dooku, Grevious, Talzin, Separatist leaders, and Palpatine/Sidious
    -They should have kept Durge alive despite him "dying" in T-Canon so GL decides to overrwrite EU overwriting of Durge's apparent death on Muunilist
    -Introduction of Spar into G-Canon after Satine dies. Maybe CIS installs him as a Puppet by taking advantage of the power vaccum after Maul is captured by Palpatine and Vizla and Satineboth die
    -More role for Delta Squad instead of just bumping them up to G-Level canon
    -A Sith-centric episode, probably a good way to bump some more Sith Lords up to G-Canon from C-Canor or tentative G-Canon(ie: Darth Bane who was originally mentioned in the TPM novel)
    -Bounty Hunters vs. Space Pirates
    -Outer Rim Sieges
    -Zilo Beast being cloned

21. CT-5555

CT-5555 Jedi Padawan

Mar 13, 2014
    I haven't finished the series (just watched the Umbara Arc) and there are a few missed opportunities I've noticed.

• Better villains. Not to say there haven't been some interesting ones, but for the most part, they have been very generic with simplistic goals. Even Pong Krell, who I think was a fantastic villain in many ways, turned out to be sort of simple, with his motivations and all. Give us characters with ambiguous motivations and more "gray" characters instead of GOOD and EVIL.
    • More Mace Windu.
    • Any episode Jar-Jar is in could be replaced with something more meaningful.
    • More clone troopers. I've been pretty satisfied the the amount of focus they've received so far, but I honestly want more. I understand why they've focused on Jedi and more recognizable heroes though.
    • Delta Squad would be nice. Not done with the show, but from what I've heard they don't make an appearance. Kind of dumb to tease them then never show an episode focusing on them.
    I'm sure I'll recognize more and more missed opportunities as I complete the show.

22. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The battle of Patitite Pattuna was a major missed opportunity on the show's creators' part.
    From what we briefly see, General Grievous has boarded Adi Gallia's flagship and is mowing a wave of destruction through it. the last we see, Gallia has engaged Grievous one-on-one in the halls of her doomed cruiser.
    [​IMG]

Notice that the droid complement that Grievous has is seemingly only made up of mere B1-battledroids; there's none of the more advanced assassin droids or Magnaguards, or even B2-SBDs. It seems like it really will be a test of skill in this duel.

And, then the next time we encounter the duo, they are aboard Grievous' ship, with the Jedi High Councillor in shackles.
    [​IMG]
    Her guards are now the superior assassin droids, which weren't participants of the boarding action, as far as we know.

How did Grievous subdue a Jedi Master of the High Council, whom has been on said council for over 15 years by this stage, by himself? It's something we never saw him possess the ability to do on this iteration of the Clone Wars. This is no small feat, and perhaps Grievous' greatest, yet is relegated to occur offscreen.

23. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    One big missed opportunity was the role that the Nightbrothers could have played in Massacre.

In S3, we were introduced to a Dathomiri society which is stratified between the Zabrak males and the more humanoid/Rattataki females. The females subject the males to brutal death matches just to pick the worthiest sperm donor. It's a vile system which victimises two characters we got to know and empathise with in Monster.

In S4, the CIS invades Dathomir to punish the Nightsisters for crossing Dooku. However, we know damn well that the Nightsisters are not saints. They lord it over an underclass of Zabraks. They may be victims of the Sith, but karma's a chakaar. I personally didn't feel much sympathy for them (except perhaps Asajj, but she has been at large since 2002) so Massacre worked mostly as a celebration of the the Droid Army and the newly emphasised competence of Grievous.

It was a good enough episode, but it was missing the comeuppance which I'd been hoping to see the Nightsisters suffer for their ill-treatment of the Nightbrothers. They put up a fight against the CIS and then they die. The Nightbrothers just drop off the map after Witches Of The Mist. Arguably, they were wasted as the episode became solely about the Nightsisters' fight against the CIS. A far better use for them, IMO, would have been as allies of the CIS and Grievous. Hence we get to see the Nightsisters suffer the consequences of their despotism, adding an uplifting subtext to the demise of their way of life. In addition to winning a long overdue crushing victory, the CIS becomes a liberator of an oppressed people.

24. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    Considering the Rancor's homeworld has been established as Dathomir by the EU, and we know that they already made the models, I would've really loved to see the Nightsisters use them against the CIS during Massacre.

25. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    It would have been awesome to see more of Mace Windu kicking butt.
    I also think it would've been cool if Kanan Jarrus made some kind of cameo in the Lost Missions episodes. When he was announced as a character for Rebels prior to the release of the Clone Wars on Netflix, one my first thoughts was "Hmm...I have a feeling we'll be seeing him in one of our closing episodes." It would have made for nice little segue into Star Wars Rebels.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.