main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Music of TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    How did you download the music? I don't see a link on there.

2. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004

Me too?

3. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Me three?

4. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    Bring up the source code (if you don't know how to do that just google "how to view source code" and follow the instructions). The code will appear at the bottom of your screen. Scroll down to line 634 and you'll be able to click on the first song (it's in blue, and ends with .mp3). That will open up a screen with a media player in the centre. Right click on the media player and choose "Download video as…" Then just click SAVE on the window that pops up (I'd recommend saving it to your desktop so it's easy to locate.) Viola! Repeat that process 55 times and you've got it.

As this is all right there in the code, I hope I'm not doing anything against the brilliant Mr. Kiner's wishes by telling you how to do this! I feel so spoiled that he's decided to share this with us all. My only intention is to help spread his beautiful and criminally underrated score.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  5. CommanderWolffe94

CommanderWolffe94 Jedi Youngling

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you Embo for that helpful advice!

I will add that if you're trying to download the 3 broken tracks discussed above, I was able to work out that the mp3 links in the source code for "Padme's Speech" and "Father's Sacrifice" were both missing the apostrophes in the track titles and that is why they won't stream. By adding them to the link once you've pasted it into the URL bar you should be able to access the tracks without issue. I couldn't work out what's wrong with "Luminara Ending" but I hope that this is at least a little bit helpful to anyone wanting the other 2 tracks.

6. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    Thanks Wolffe!

7. Abrapork Lincoln

Abrapork Lincoln Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2014
    Did anyone else who has seen S6 notice Kiner's return to ripping off Kilar's Dracula theme? Hadn't heard that from him since Rising Malevolence, and it felt especially out of place this time. I for one am appalled, considering that Kilar just recently passed away; a very disrespectful act on Kiner's part.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    Really? We have to be appalled and regard it as a malicious attack on Kilar's legacy? It's just a string of notes, man.

Composers have been quoting each other since Mozart sampled Clementi. Why can't we read Kiner's composition as a clever homage? Especially considering the obvious influence Stoker's work had on the creation of key villains featured in the offending episodes. Some might even argue that the esoteric nature of the cues Mr. Kiner used, may, in fact, have been placed there as a wink to viewers in the know. When a composer employs such an obvious device, isn't it possible that their intent is that savvy viewers recognize the deliberate association? Much like a character who quotes Shakespeare in dialogue; the writer's intention is usually not to plagiarize the bard's words, but to celebrate them, to engage the audience by referencing a familiar source. That's how I read it anyway; as a private joke, stemming from respectful admiration.

9. Abrapork Lincoln

Mar 10, 2014
    Then why did he rip it off in Rising Malevolence, too? We're not talking, like, a several-seconds-long homage such as Williams used in RotS, with Shore's The Lord of the Rings. We're talking an entire sequence relying on not just a tune reminiscent of another's (living) work, but the other's tune, verbatim. In America, compositions are not public domain for at least fifty years after the conposer's death. Kilar just died, and Kiner was ripping the guy off back in 2008... Kiner was also caught later, ripping off a popular Indian song, for use in Dooku Captured. The song in question was instantly recognized by an Indian friend of mine. Whenever Kiner or the TCW team have been asked for comment on these suspicious instances, a response has not been given. Furthermore, in the credits, there is no mention of Kilar, ever. Film score composers in the past have taken a LOT of heat for ripping off other, living composers' work; take Tyler Bates, for example. The guy is a complete hack of a film composer, and caused quite a fuss when he was caught blatantly ripping off the work of Goldenthal all throughout his score for 300. You simply do not rip-off the theme of a living film composer (especially not one better than you); it's bad business, and draws pretty harsh criticism when you're caught doing it. Kiner should know better.

10. Embo

Embo Jedi Knight

Mar 27, 2010
    Pablo Picasso said it best:

"Good artists borrow; great artists steal."

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Abrapork Lincoln

Mar 10, 2014
    To call Kiner a "great artist" is the biggest joke I've heard all week. He's literally just an everyday TV composer.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't know about great artist but I think he has some top-notch work on TCW (and Star Trek: Enterprise). He's not an average television composer in my book.

Seerow and cwustudent like this.
  13. Abrapork Lincoln

Mar 10, 2014
    I'm not sure. In my eyes, the "great artists" of the television realm are Michael Giacchino and perhaps David Arnold.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm not familiar with either of their television work (just looked them up).

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not familiar with Giacchino's TV work, which I believe is a lot of Abrams stuff, since he also does music for most of Abrams' films, but some of his film stuff is nothing short of spectacular. His Pixar work especially is top notch, and many people compared his stuff for The Incredibles to John Williams music.

16. Abrapork Lincoln

Mar 10, 2014
    Giacchino's TV work includes LOST, Fringe, Alias, etc. I'm primarily speaking of LOST. Absolutely phenomenal scoring, tons of leitmotifs.

17. The Shadow Collective

The Shadow Collective Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 21, 2013

This worked perfectly thanks, i think Luminara Ending seems to be missing the production code, but i have no idea what that would be!

Would you possibly be able to PM me Luminara Ending? I have acquired the other two by the above method and got the rest?

Thanks

18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Are we really comparing TCW's score to Lost, Alias, and Fringe? I mean, I know that Star Wars is about having a powerful score but come on. As far as western animation goes Kiner's work in TCW about at the top. The only thing that rivals it is Bryan Tyler and later Matthew Morgeson work on Transformers. Lets talk about composers in Western Animation and kids shows. These are the only two western animated shows with scores I've cared to own or have even really remembered since Ron Jones on Ducktales and Carl Johnson on Gargoyles. Honorable mentions for Aaron Waters and Ron Wesserman on Power Rangers who contributed alot to my tastes in music as an adult. I put Kiner right beside any of them. Kiner's got better and better from season 3 onward. The season 5 finale and much of the Lost Missions was top notch.

19. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Kiner Did say ages ago that there are discussions taking place to release the full soundtrack but i guess it never happened and that's why it's available. I managed to download it using my new friend Google Chrome. IE 11's developer tools were terrible to use. I hate IE 11 since there's some major flaws with it- might just be me. on Google i can't expand or view single images. I can't reply to threads here and can't access the code easily. I am warming to Chrome but don't like how it loads pages or the scrolling. same with IE. Would someone store these in a google drive for easier access? Is that illegal?

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    To go with my earlier post I decided to toss some samples from all the best (IMO) in western animation and kids TV shows for comparison. Warning, 4 youtube videos embedded.Alas the Gargoyles soundtrack is just not available in a presentable way.

Darthmaul208. Chrome is awesome. Lets not be distributing this stuff via google drive.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    While we're touting music from other animated shows, I must mention Avatar The Last Airbender and its sequel series, Legend of Korra. They have some of the best music in any animated series I've ever heard. Jeremy Zuckerman really knows his stuff, and his Korra themes are especially fantastically unique.

This video pretty much covers every variation of the main theme from ATLA.

22. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Seerow I agree i just thought it would be easier for people to find it in one place. Google have taken over the whole internet. Chrome i am getting used to being always an IE fan. Now however not at all it's just all my favourites are all here (there's loads) Google Drive is very easy to use and is a respectable place. Now you can find pretty much anything on Google drive without all those crappy adverts and dodgy links. Anyway back to music: Seeing that we are posting our favourites here's mine:
    I know im going to get "flamed" here but i watched this show the other day for the first time after seeing the hey yey yah thing and loved it now i am going to watch it all and perhaps She-Ra as well.
    Now here's some two good soundtracks from RWBY which is a fan made anime styled series it's gaining popularity so it will spread:
    Theme song
    Fight music.

he-guy likes this.
  23. Abrapork Lincoln

Mar 10, 2014

Hm. I thought they had at one point confirmed a TV soundtrack release.

I guess; that being said, calling any of these guys "great artists" or great composers seems foolish. They are good in the medium in which they work, but on the whole, next to the real geniuses of film and television scoring, they are like ants.

24. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Abrapork Lincoln I don't think so he said it is being discussed and is in the "works" Also your new here and I did this when I was a rookie but can i mention that you aren't meant to double post on any boards and just put it into one message. Tag me if you read this by the using the Username featue.

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I guess; that being said, calling any of these guys "great artists" or great composers seems foolish. They are good in the medium in which they work, but on the whole, next to the real geniuses of film and television scoring, they are like ants.[/quote]

I just don't think its fair to compare the score in TCW which is a show on Cartoon Network to Lost. Most of the composers I mentioned are accomplish beyond the mediums of animation and children's television. Does a guy who composed a very long list of movies and shows like Brian Tyler qualify as an ant? Kevin Kiner also does awesome work on Hell on Wheels. Ron Jones worked on Star Trek shows although at the moment he is mostly associated with Seth McFarlane. At the end of the day music is still something subjective and I think Kiner is awesome.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0454349/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0003911/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0429166/