main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO I've got a Koopa head poking out!- Quest's Backlog v2.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At 19 stars now. Levels are starting to get a little tricky now (not necessarily hard, but some stars are certainly challenging).

EDIT- 29 Stars now. Some of these levels are quite inventive.

EDIT 2- 33 Stars now. Only played a little today, but put in a few rounds of Mario kart Wii online though.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Up to 54 stars, over 4000 bits. Though I threw in about 5 hours today, being able to play a level or two in 10-15 min chunks other days has made making progress in this game quite convenient with my schedule, I must say.

EDIT- 66.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As an update, I beat the game a few months ago, but have just a few more Purple Stars left to get before I have them all (I've already decided I'm not replaying the whole game just to get the Luigi star, that can be saved for a replay decades from now). Once I have those, I'll be moving onto the next game.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    EDIT: I need to actually read posts. Nothing to see here.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Good idea as one may get frustarted playing the game with Mario then having to switch gears with Luigi (I know I did.) It was quite the learning curve so I put the game away, played it years later and rocked it as Luigi. Very rewarding.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anticipating the Wii U, yet wary of diving into NSMBU without getting back to NSMBW, and having some time before the storm hits our area, I've taken a brief pause from finishing off Galaxy 1's purple stars and gone back to finish off NSMBW, as that one has been lingering for too long.

Up til now I've only played the game multiplayer, but multiplayer sessions have been fewer in between and people get in the way of enjoying the pure platforming elements since their skill level tends to be below mine (plus, having played the game at several different people's houses over the past few years, I think I've played the first 3 worlds several times over at this point). Now, I get that the multiplayer madness is part of the fun of the game, but I need to move on and there is certainly something the single player experience can provide that the multiplayer cannot.

So, I've picked things up at the start of World 5 where my multiplayer sessions left off (though I'll probably go back and replay the first 4 worlds eventually as single player). Last night I finished World 5 (though I didn't do the Ghost house part yet as my path got cut off) and I'm about halfway through World 6 now, as well as gained access to my first Warp Cannon to World 8 (though I'm not going to use it yet).

I'm not quite sure yet what my end goal will be for this game. Thinking back to the previous 2D Mario games, finishing every level with every Yoshi Coin (or whatever substitute the game might have) has never had the same priority that, say, getting all 150 stars in a 3D Mario has had. So I don't know yet if I'll be calling it quits partway through access to World 9 or try to at least unlock all the levels (thinking back, I don't know if I ever beat every level in SMB3 either, nor every Star Road level in SMW...).

However, at least getting a chance to access as many levels as possible seems a reasonable goal, since the whole point is to enjoy some 2D platforming challenges. Though I don't want to make myself weary of 2D platforming with just this game, as I would very much like to get in some of Rayman Origins and others soon (if only a taste), hopefully before the Wii-U hits.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Beat NSMBW! Still gonna take on some of the Star World levels, but I don't think I'll be finishing off every level right now.

Also, with the power out for the last week, I put some more time into Reto Game Challenge on the DS. Right now I'm up to the last challenge for Guadia Quest (the one with the dungeon), which I believe will leave me with just the Haggle Man 3 challenges left to beat.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Beat NSMBU the other evening, though there's still some secret worlds I need to to tackle as well as the Superstar World, but like NSMBW, I'll take my time and enjoy those challenges a bit at a time (though I might be pressed to complete them a bit quicker given the Super Luigi U DLC coming in the summer).

Now I just need to refocus on ZombiU to finish that when I get some free time in a few weeks...

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Over the past month or so I've made further progress in ZombiU (I'm about to start the church mission) (also, Phantom Zombies are freaking scary, man!) and purchased and begun Batman: Arkham City (yeah, it's not from the existing backlog but I'm trying to make an extra effort not to let the Wii U games pile up too quickly, and, so far, have made pretty good progress son that front, having beat NSMBU (thoguh not 100% yet), being near-finished with ZU and, now, hitting up BAC right off the bat (no pun intended...).

I've also been diving deep into DKCR- after seeing the footage of Tropical Freeze and the talk of the 3DS port, I had a serious DKC itch to scratch. And, man, is this game amazing or what? Great challenges (at first you might think you acquire lives too quickly, then you get to that one cave level that eats up 50+ lives...), truly inventive level design (the way they integrate background actions into a level's challenges is quite creative- from the giant octopus to the tdal waves, etc. Very, vry cool stuff), and an excellent soundtrack.

Controls are mostly good as well- I know a lot of people moaned about the motion controls, but I think it works pretty good except for the roll, which is difficult to pull off sometimes. But ground pound and blowing works pretty smoothly and isn't tiring at all.

Just starting the Factory levels today, so I'm starting to approach the endgame. Good progress on the backlog, i think. :)

I'm still gonna try to pop through a few other smaller titles before tackling an epic- I'm leaning towards Muramasa, Kirby or A Boy and His Blob as my next title.

Oh, and on the portable front, I've finally been making progress in Hatsworth after beating the one level I'd been stuck in for a couple years.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    T2Q, have you played Deadpool yet? I haven't had the opportunity myself (waiting for a Steam sale) but this series of gifs really makes me want to play it now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Life and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really want to but I'm waiting til later this year. I'm hoping the rumors of a Wii U port pan out (there was an online listing for one), otherwise ill grab the 360 version after the holidays after all my other purchase list titles are acquired.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The2ndQuest, update? May I suggest you put Skyward Sword next on your list?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still about where I left off on the games mentioned last summer (had a very busy fall/winter semester, second job and moved so had little gaming time) but did get some decent progress on some new games purchases- mostly Rayman Legends and A Link between Worlds (and Street Pass games). Beat Arkham City: Armored Edition (but haven't really done any of the DLC bonus content). About 1/3rd the way through Duck Tales Remastered. Started to scratch at AC4.

However, I do intend to get back to ZU and DKCR to finish them off soon. When I do, I'm going to stick to my original plan of taking a crack at Muramasa, Kirby or Blob because I've been itching to try those for so very long.

After that, I will most likely return to Skyward Sword. Just wanted to get some variety in with the smaller games so I'm not playing a constant stream of Mario, Zelda, DK & Metroid games (as appealing as that sounds... ).

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Donkey Kong Country Returns- KONGQUERED! 88% completion.

Good lord, is this one ****hard game. Tiki Andross isn't too bad of a final boss fight if you have Diddy- but if you don't beat the boss on the first try, you do not get a Diddy barrell to bring him back (and, given that you had to complete a tricky rocket barrel level just to get to the boss, one is not inclined to exit the level and return each time), which makes Tiki Andross extremely difficult.

That said, it's not impossible to beat him without Diddy, but you have to be very lucky (the final attack has a very brief window of opportunity- with Diddy you can hover in one jump to strike, but without him, you need to make 2-3 jumps normally which takes too long for the final shot [further complicated by the Tiki's sloped head shape which often renders attempts to jump on it futile]- you have to be in just the right position or take some damage to get there in time). I was lucky, but it took an hour or two and 40-60 lives to accomplish it.

Still, immensely satisfying- and now it's just a little bit easier to hold off on buying Tropical Freeze for a few more weeks until I can afford it ;). Plus I still have the Golden Temple orbs to collect....

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'll take DKCR over NSMBW any day of the week, at least in terms of difficulty. Yeah, that last boss was insane, but once I got the hang of it, defeating him was manageable.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Only the World 9/Star World levels compare to DCKR in terms of difficulty.

With the boss, it was really only the vertical clap that was difficult during the first phase- time your jump wrong and you have no mercy- too late and you're squished, too early and he'll abort the clap after you jump on the hand too many times- then he insta-claps you as punishment.

The second phase was actually pretty easy by comparison- the fire birds (or whatever) have easy patterns- the only threat comes from the Tiki's swoops and slam shockwaves (further accentuated by the head shape and small window of opportunity.

And, again, having Diddy or an extra heart would have gone a long way to making it significantly easier.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Taking up Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

Side scroller beat 'em up focusing on sword combat attack combos utilizing gorgeous 2D art animation.

Feels like a classic Turtles game mixed with Marvel vs Capcom, encased in an anime with a dash of RPG elements.

The true test will be seeing if the action gets repetitive after awhile or not.

Having just done my Wii system transfer, I'm unable to play it with a GCN controller but it does have a classic controller option so I'm giving that a go- haven't put much mileage into that controller yet, though I'm finding I much prefer the d-pad on it over the analog stick- at least for this game.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Went through another boss in Muramasa. This is a very Japanese game as far as the story and side elements go. Story is also somewhat dense, not fully explaining who certain characters are (but I imagine they'd make more sense in a cultural context- well, except for the Fox Lady with the bouncing boobs, I can't imagine that detail was based in local mythology, ha), though you slowly manage to get up to speed.

Also, I don't understand why I have to button mash to eat my sushi or other meals that replenish energy...

Seems like there are alot of locations that are very distinct in design, though each location has basically 2-3 types of (gorgeous) backdrops that are repeated or reconfigured. I suppose that's not unusual for a 2D game as far as asset recycling goes, but, so far at least, there isn't a whole lot of variety for the platforming aspect of things so far- and some screens are just empty to run across.

The enemy variety, though, has kept things interesting- and slowly the strategy behind the title is starting to reveal itself. Particularly with cycling through different types of swords to use against certain types of enemies or attacks (you might find one weaker sword to be more effective against a certain boss, while a stronger one's special attack is also effective but harder to hit the boss with, while yet another can be used to disperse fire pits keeping you from attacking said boss with one of those other swords).

Gonna stick with this one and see how deep it goes- looks like I'm supposedly going to be able to switch bodies soon so I want to see what that brings to the table (and I still havem't started the second starting character's storyline yet either).

I also hopped back into Duck Tales Remastered (seeing that Cranky Kong Tropical Freeze footage put me in a pogo stickin' mood). Completed the Himalayan level (though I know I missed one area due to being unable to get back past Launchpad once i had all three pieces of the device he needed to bring us to the boss).

All I have left is the Moon (which I had already beaten but the game crashed before it saved). But I can deal with listening to that track again. :)

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I'm going to be house sitting someone's cat for the next couple weeks, which means I won't have access to my consoles, so I'll be mostly on portables for that timeframe, so I'm thinking of cracking open one of my lingering RPGs for my DS (between Zelda sessions, of course).

So, getting back to the "vote on what I play" origins of this thread, which do you think I should go with? FF6, ChronoTrigger or Golden Sun?

I've never played FF3/6, did play a healthy chunk of CT on SNES when it first came out and only played the opening moments of GS.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    6 and CT have aged beautifully, I would heartily recommend either.

Golden Sun has aged like a fine wine in the sense that it has turned into vinegar. A quote from an LP sums it up best:
    It was like a breath of fresh air when it came out, because we weren't used to handhelds having RPGs, so I guess it's historically significant, but it is nothing next to your other options.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I recall the length of the intro being one reason why my first session didn't get me far into the game.

And yet, I bought GS2 before ever making it any further in GS1, heh.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I went with FFVI. In the opening minutes my Biggs died first, leaving Wedge behind (as it should be). Then the scripted event kills Wedge first before Biggs.

Clearly, the writers/translators didn't know what they were doing ;).

I'm intrigued so far, though. I like the recharge meter for turn timing, and so far they haven't been too overwhelming with the add-ons, items and spells (which can often be a cumbersome hurdle in drawing one into an RPG if that curve us too steep). There's still a bit but it looks like they ease you into it somewhat.

I did find the one moment amusing in the Adventurer's School, though- you go to open a chest only for the game to scream "Monster-in-a-Box!" As it throws you to the battle screen.

Afterwards, you talk to the guy standing behind the chest who warns you that some times a treasure chest hides monsters.

It's like, "You ****, you couldn't have warned me first?", ha.

Also, I miss Mode 7, heh.

Now if I can just figure out how to get to the next town (presumably past the cave guard)...

EDIT- nope, somehow I missed the castle in the middle of the desert, heh.

EDIT 2- and was that a Beavis & Butthead reference? They had fun translating this game, didn't they?

EDIT 3- why are we having a discussion on Terra's magic powers on the middle of a battle? And why is Locke so freaked out about it when he's clearly seen Terra use her abilities in battles prior to Figaro?How considerate of the soldiers ordered to kill us to wait until we were done talking before resuming their attack...

...also, the king just ordered the cave guard soldier to return to the castle. The castle that just entirely submerged itself into the desert. So I guess that guy is totally going to die in the desert. ;)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Reached the cave hideout of The Returners- though this is all very clearly still early in the game, I like the momentum of the story so far.

A little dissapointed in the over world map though- like the Mode 7 effect, love the water effect, but the "jagged corners" you catch on can be annoying and there's not a lot if places (so far) to encourage exploration.

Also, they really should have let you be able to walk by/through NPCs- they block your path way too often.

Finally- Banon? It's a "bood" thing thats not similar to something they could get sued for a "breat" amount over... ;)

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it's typical post-III FF, you don't really get to go hog wild until you get the airship. And even then something else happens before exploration really becomes the focus.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's good to know some exploration elements come out eventually- though a little unusual to have that come late-game even if the early linear structure has helped the story move forward at a good pace.