main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'll see you again in 25 years" - The Twin Peaks thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I found myself waxing nostalgic for Twin Peaks and found out that the series is available for streaming on Netflix. So I decided to introduce my teenager to the series and re-watch it myself for the very first time since the original run.

Coincidentally, I came across this particular meme:

[​IMG]

Yes, while the series debut was in 1990, it was actually set in 1989, making it 25 years since the murder of Laura Palmer introduced us to the delectable lunacy of the little town called Twin Peaks, WA.

Feel free to accompany me down Memory Lane and discuss this groundbreaking (for its time) series.

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i actually just started watching this for the first time a few weeks ago. i'm currently about halfway through the second season. have to say i really enjoyed the first season, and the second season up to the point where the murderer is revealed. the second half of the second season seems a bit of a tack-on. dunno if there's a huge twist at the end, still have a few episodes to go.

AgentCoop and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Strang coincidence: I just watched Robocop last night; guess which actor plays part of Clarence Boddicker's gang?

4. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Well, I know that Miguel Ferrer was in it. Anyone else?

5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Laura Palmer's Dad.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    As I said in the OP, this is only the second time I’ve watched the series. Back during the original run, while channel-surfing, I caught a couple of snippets: the first was from the episode after The Big Reveal, and all I saw was the killer looking in a mirror and seeing BOB looking back at him. The other was from Fire Walk With Me when some guys in a bar were making out with Donna (well hullo thar, Moira Kelly’s bewbz!), and the killer morphing back and forth as BOB after killing Laura. In other words, some astounding visuals without any of the context necessary to make sense of what I was seeing. I remember thinking “this makes no sense whatsoever, but it looks wicked awesome!”

Anyway, a friend of mine is a complete fanatic about the show, and loaned me the series on VHS (yup, I’m that old!). I’ve only seen the series once, over twenty years ago, but it’s amazing what little things have stuck with me! Like Andy wobbling back and forth after getting hit in the head with the patio plank, or Nadine waking from a coma, shredding her hospital restraints while doing a cheer. And of course, all those completely daft characters like Log Lady and Gordon Cole.

It’s actually been kinda cool re-watching it with my son, because there are a lot of elements that I’d forgotten about.

AgentCoop likes this.
  7. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    HOW'S ANNIE?

HOW'S ANNIE?

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Interesting. I also started rewatching this for the first time in ten years or so, and the Black Lodge sequences gave me some creepy dreams [face_worried]

WOW BOB WOW

9. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Through the darkness of future's past, the magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds... "Fire... walk with me." We lived among the people. I think you say, convenience store. We lived above it. I mean it like it is... like it sounds. I too have been touched by the devilish one. Tattoo on the left shoulder... Oh, but when I saw the face of God, I was changed. I took the entire arm off. My name is Mike. His name is Bob.

10. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I also watched this not too long ago. I picked up the "ultimate gold DVD boxed set" or whatever it is called on sale. The DVD set is loaded with interviews and extras which are worth it in their own right. What I completely forgot, but which came flooding back, is how the town of Twin Peaks carries on even without the McGuffin of Laura Palmer's death. The setting has a kind of timeless quality to it. Even watching it now, you would be hard pressed to "time stamp" it to the period it was originally broadcast, as is the case when time passes by so many shows and movies. It really is a credit to David Lynch's influence.

Just some of my random musings about my re-visit:

1)I can see why the pop cultures references became what they were. In the time before the internet, and hashtags, and instant likes- things like "Damn fine coffee," the miles of donuts, the dancing dwarf, and the cherry stem became icons on their own. They weren't diminished by the passage of time.

2) I still have a major crush on Sherilyn Finn's Audrey for the obvious reasons. But Audrey alternates between being spoiled, being power hungry, and being savy at the drop of a hat. It's the type of character that would probably shine during the golden age of nighttime soaps such as Dynasty and Dallas, but sadly, no longer exists.

3)I mentioned it above, but I had completely forgotten how strong the supporting characters all where. Joan Chen, Miguel Ferrer, and especially the Sheriff, Harry S Truman. While I think Agent Cooper squeaks by as the main protagonist, the Sheriff really steals all the scenes he is in.

It is a shame that David Lynch's original vision for Twin Peaks wasn't allowed to flourish. Lynch never wanted to have Laura Palmer's murder get solved. He wanted the town of Twin Peaks to simply unfold every week under the murder's "umbrella." It would have been like taking Green Acres, turning on the "dark and twisted" setting, and sitting back and watching how everyone interacted. Of course, like what happens all too frequently, network executives overruled this, and they demanded a solution to Palmer's murder. I'd say that if Lynch had to provide a solution, he should have just ended the show with that. Because once the murder was solved, the show began to deteriorate. A great deal of this was due to the fact that Lynch was uncomfortable with the interference, and as a result, spent less and less time with the show. (he only directed 2 episodes at the start of the second season, and then returned to direct the 15th overall episode, the one which provided the solution.)

AgentCoop likes this.
  11. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    The ultimate fate of Joan Chen's character creeped the hell out of me, even moreso than what happens to Cooper. And speaking of supporting casts: how come we're all forgetting Michael Horse, hurling knives into people's backs and so on? He was great, and if I remember right it's him who first begins to unravel the idea of the Black Lodge to us as an audience. Me, I'm just chuffed to think Stilgar, Fox Mulder, and Dana Scully's Dad were all in the same series. :D

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I still bust out "How's Annie?" on people to whom I know it will freak them the F out...

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I am going to do this rewatch. Haven't seen it since it aired on tv the first time. I watched every episode, except the final one even though I had taped it. Just knew there wouldn't be the payoff I wanted. I will watch it this time though. And the movie.

14. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    agree with all of this. i don't know why they didn't leave the solution to the murder until the end, though. and yeah, Audrey is something else.

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So in honor of March 14th, I will be making cherry pie for my son and I to enjoy.

[​IMG]

AgentCoop and Saintheart like this.
  16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

TX-20, AgentCoop, Ulicus and 2 others like this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay, legit lol...

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm mad the movie is not on Netflix.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I KNOW, RIGHT!?!?

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The things you find at random in a dictionary...

[​IMG]

Madeleine "Maddy" Ferguson

mad·e·leine

a small shell-shaped cake made of flour, eggs, sugar, and butter and baked in a mold.

something that triggers memories or nostalgia: in allusion to a nostalgic passage in Proust's Remembrance of Things Past.

AgentCoop and Saintheart like this.
  21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    There's going to be some promo reuniting part of the original cast, by the way.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I hope the log comes out of retirement.

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Found out another bit of fun trivia. Eileen Hayward (Donna's mom) is played by Mary Jo Deschanel. Does that last name sound familiar?

[​IMG]

It should. Emily and Zooey are her daughters.

24. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    just finished season 2.

great final episode. but overall not a great second season. i can see why the ratings dropped -- studio execs are morons.

25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I used to consider myself a true "Peak-head". I loved Twin Peaks & watched every episode of the show during it's original broadcast, saw TP: Fire Walk with Me in the theater back in the '92, and bought the excellent Gold boxed set when it came out back in Fall 2007 (I avoided previous DVD sets since they didn't include the pilot). The first season was superb, and I felt the second season was great as well. That being said, the second season got some undeserved criticism; sure, it wasn't as good as the first (except for the last couple of episodes), but wasn't bad either. I know fans felt the show started to flounder when the mystery surrounding Laura Palmer's passing was solved, but IMHO the show was still interesting - it just went in different directions at that point. I will also say that I feel Twin Peaks was the best network TV show ever...up to the point that it was released. I have liked other shows better than TP since it came out (X-files being one), but in the early '90's, IMHO TP was tops.

FWWM was one of the most creepy/horrific/disturbing films I've ever seen. Very well-done, however - and, it touched on a lot of what was mentioned in both the series & the The Diary of Laura Palmer book...

I definitely think the series would benefit from a high-def Blu-ray release. I would probably get this if a Blu FWWM was included with deleted scenes. And, I would still keep the great Gold boxed set either way for collectible purposes...

And, though I was disappointed at the cliff-hanger ending seen in the series' finale (at the time), I honestly do not want to see a continuation of the series. If something had come out in the next several years after the finale, it would have been alright...but, at this point it's been 24 years, and they should just let this go. All of the actors/actresses (who are still around) have aged, and IMHO there is no way they could make this work...at least not well. Also, as time has gone on I have grown to like the cliff-hanger ending....It's a lot like the show itself & Lynch's films...ambiguous & elusive....