main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    On quick glance, I thought he had a full beard/mustache, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Along with the crew-cut look, I almost wonder if he might be a clone.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that guy in that upper picture is Dooku and then Ventress is the one Quinlan is carrying.

3. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Wow, really strange to see such a death wish for a character. It's like that's all we can expect from entertainment these days...?

4. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I used to not like Ahsoka at all, based on 1. my unwillingness to believe Anakin had a padawan, and 2. The theatrical movie which did a good job convincing me she would be annoying and would be speaking in bad dialogue.

However, from what I've seen (especially from later seasons) it seems like she's now an enjoyable character who was toned down and made more complicated. I think her leaving the order was fine; really I don't care if she died or if she just left, as long as she's gone in RoTS.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As long as entertainment cares more about pet character promotion than a story...yes.

6. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I will agree that Echo doesn't need to come back, but I think that's just a fun novelty for fans and it looks like Friedman really likes what they did with the "Experimental Clone" concept.

Regarding Ahsoka, I think it's beyond the creators pet project now that she has a real fan following, yound and old, male and female, and for whatever reason people have latched on to the character. With Filoni working more with writers now, I would guess that there would be a chance to evolve her story in to something even more interesting.

7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You know when you put it that way.I might be able to get behind a spin-off movie about CyClone. Maybe they'll bring Krell back for that. Imagine CyClone in rage mode breaking Krell over his knee like a plank of wood.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  8. henryj95

henryj95 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2014
    I'm sorry to see that there are so many people who still (or newly) dislike Ahsoka. I would argue that Ahsoka was much more than Dave Filoni's pet character. She was initially created to round out a cast of characters that would be interesting to see on a weekly television series. As the series progressed, many viewers (not all) began to connect with her character on different levels. I am one such fan who really felt that Ahsoka brought a new and unique dynamic to the main Star Wars cast. I didn't come out of the end of Season Five completely hating the council. As we are told a billion times during this period: "the Dark Side clouds everything." This allowed me to respect Ahsoka's decision to walk and be on her side while still understanding why the circumstances made the council act as they did.

As much as people say that she made it so the audience would hate the council and that they wrecked Barriss to complete Ahsoka's story, I think that the former didn't happen and the latter is TOTALLY OKAY. Star Wars began onscreen and it belongs onscreen. I love the EU as much as the next fan but I've never had a problem with things being changed around for the Star Wars Cinematic Universe. This way, if one was to watch all the content available in the content that Star Wars began in, they wouldn't feel like they needed to read between the EU-based lines to understand a character. Barriss' new canonical biography means that you can experience her entire story onscreen.

My last point is one I am hesitant to bring up because I don't love participating in forums ("the ability to speak does not make you intelligent"). I am seeing a lot of the blame for different decisions made surrounding Star Wars material shifting to Dave Filoni. I know it is the nature of fandom to blame decisions you don't agree with on someone in charge. But I feel that two years ago, the blame for everything was still on George Lucas! George Lucas thought Ahsoka should die? George Lucas also thought Jar Jar was what Star Wars really needed upon its return in 1999. I think that Dave Filoni has made some excellent contributions to Star Wars lore and I think that he does continue making choices with the quality of the cinema he is creating in mind.

Sgt Crowfield, credar, Watto and 3 others like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I give you credit for not going into rage mode about how evil the Council was in that final arc. I haven't seen too many Ahsoka fans who don't hold up the Council as the poster children for people who eat kittens for breakfast and steal candy from first graders.

So...kudos.

To be fair, many Anakin fans do the same thing, and I've sometimes found it hard to talk to fellow Anakin fans for that reason.

I'll agree with you on one other point: Filoni has taken the heat for some decisions that were not his, including the Barriss decision.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I really need to get going on that "I Hate Ahsoka and You Should Too" essay I've been meaning to do for 5 years. :p

Seriously, I could go on and on about how awful a character she is, but I could also temper that hatred to focus on the things that do in fact work about her. You also have to consider how contentious her inclusion in the show was back in 2008 (and still up to this day). EU vets already had their Clone Wars. We had books, comics, a mini TV series, video games, you name it. Those three years of war were so well-covered that it was a bit of a shock when we suddenly got this show revolving around Anakin and a new padawan who was brand new, never before even hinted at. Continuity is a huge concern for many fans, so when they learned that those stories from 2002-2005 would potentially be overwritten by this new, Lucas/Filoni helmed series, well suffice to say there was an uproar.

Then came the theatrical release, and I can't tell you how rapidly the term Mary Sue got bandied about with increasing frequency. A lot of EU diehards hated the idea of Ahsoka, and thus they were instantly biased against her, citing every perceived flaw imaginable. I know, I was one of those fans. Now she's somewhat grown on me, but I can't forget those flaws from early in the series' run. I still don't really like her, but I can appreciate her character, if that makes sense. But a lot of that hate was attached to Filoni, through the way he'd talk about her in interviews and such. So it gown blown a bit out of proportion, and people quickly labelled her a pet character, and from there people made the next logical step: if Filoni was responsible for the way Ahsoka was, he must have been responsible for every bad thing on the show. It's an understandable conclusion, and a lot of it stems from the fact that both Dave and George (mostly Dave) have sometimes been vague on who is exactly responsible for the plots and elements of the show.

But hey, we're an equal-opportunity forum. We welcome all and any viewpoints. So don't ever be worried that people will hound on you for having a dissenting opinion. Sure, we'll have debates, but they'll always be open-minded discussions allowing any and all viewpoints to be shared.

So, if no one else has already said it, welcome to LACWAC, henryj95. I'm sure you'll love discussing the show here. [face_peace]

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I had a very similar if not exactly the same succession of viewpoints on Ahsoka. I found her highly irritating early on, liked it when she got toned down, and only cared about her fate as far as wanting it to work smoothly going unmentioned in Ep. III.

Well said. =D=

12. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    One wonders if this was a scene from the timeline going forward... or a flashback from the past. I thought I recall (and please call me out if i am just making this up) that Filoni stated in some interview that they would start to look back on Dooku's past. I guess the Sifo Diyas did that to some small extent, but Dooku wasn't the focus of that.

13. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
  14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Ahsoka was a character that seemed unnecessary, and that's about the extent of my dislike of her.

They gave Anakin, who in the films indicated in no way that he ever mentored anybody or was even Master material, an apprentice. And she seemed like an attempt to include an "audience surrogate," though while that worked with Luke, I felt like Ahsoka was an odd choice.

She was another Jedi. She already had developed a bunch of abilities, she was arrogant, she was like giving Anakin an Anakin 2.0, turning Anakin himself into someone that I don't recognize as being the same character in the films that book end TCW.

Luke was actually like the audience to some extent, in that he has no clue was the Force is, he's stuck on a planet and yearns for adventure, and he's someone the audience can really relate to and whose eyes they can see the adventure through.

Ahsoka could have worked better IMO, had the show decided to focus on original characters or lesser known characters like Plo Koon. E.G. they could have made her Plo Koon's apprentice. Instead they gave her to Anakin, and as she increased in popularity (according to people like Ashley and Dave), it seemed like they started to really push her more and more as a mature character that kids could look up to. There was something not right IMO in how the finale of the Trandoshan arc was handled in which Ahsoka is the calm one that handles the situation in the ideal manner, while Anakin is the stressed out parent.

And then again in the S5 finale, in which the Jedi act perfectly reasonable in the course of action (yet inexplicably dumb in not being upfront with Ahsoka about it), turning Ahsoka into the victim, rather than a hot head holding a grudge -- which to me is all she comes across as.

In the beginning she is indeed the hot head, which forces Anakin into a position of responsibility, and pretty much holds a mirror up to him in showing him what it must have been like for Obi-Wan when Anakin was his apprentice. Which, while interesting, seems like an awkward creative decision given how Anakin acts both before and after these events in AOTC and ROTS. But then as time goes on, it just seemed like Ahsoka eclipses Anakin in maturity. And while I won't go as far as to call her a "Mary Sue" or say that she never ran into trouble and needed rescuing. It seemed like that eclipse of Anakin defeated her point as a character, in making Anakin mature by learning to let go of attachments.

[​IMG]

In this image, Quinlan is fighting Maul with a red saber and is wearing black robes and even has yellow eyes. While this could just be the result of sticking to a color theme to make the artwork visually interesting, or making use of what colors were conveniently on hand, the Jedi to the upper left are all depicted with appropriate lightsaber colors and brown robes. Quinlan's color scheme falls in line with that of the villains.

So, I wonder if they were going to do a "Quinlan Vos falls to the Dark Side/infiltrates the Sith" kind of plot. As for who he is standing over in the other picture previously posted, the exaggerated cheek bones made me think Tarkin, but the flat-top haircut makes me think a clone.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Heero_Yuy :

[​IMG]

I want this. I admit it.

Thank. You. That's all I got out of it as well. She held a grudge, and as a member of the audience, I'm supposed to hold it with her.

Hell no.

Again, exactly. That's why I never liked her eclipse of Anakin.

16. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012

What...the hell?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Just a fun statue.

Should be Obi-Wan though. Ventress would make a hell of a better girlfriend than Satine.

18. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    The whole idea that Ahsoka fans = Council haters is untrue. Do some people hate the council for what they did? I'm sure. But it's not as black and white. I was mad at the Council for what they did, but I don't hate them for it. Do I understand why they did what they did? Yes I do, there was a lot of circumstantial evidence. Do I understand why they didn't stand with Ahsoka? Yup, listen to the Republic and get Ahsoka a "fair trial". Do I despise the council for it? No. Do I think they made a mistake? Yes. The way the council handled it,especially by saying "This was your Jedi Trial!" Gave the idea that the Council shrugged off the fact that they basically left her to die, even though it was suppose to be a fair trial. This, along with the horrors and loss she had over the seasons, from losing her fight squad, to being hunted, to dropping Steela on accident etc etc.

I realize it wasn't the Council's fault for her leaving, it was her decision, but she felt betrayed and that she couldn't handle the war anymore. You are all going "Waaa me me me!" But she is just 16 and was trained by Anakin. You can't compare her holding back emotions to Obi-Wan, you have to compare her emotional responses to Anakin's teachings and how he responded to emotions (Answer: He's very emotional.)

Ahsoka wasn't the perfect character, but she was the eyes and ears for the show for the most part. People complain about her having to die, but this is Star Wars. They didn't kill off Luke or Leia or Han, Anakin died in the last film in redemption. Why waste a great character that we can experience and watch grow into an adult, not unlike Luke. Ahsoka was the Anakin, she was the Luke for a generation. I frankly am not shocked they didn't kill her off. She has a story to tell and I'm eager to see it.

19. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    If only!! The team and I are already back to work figuring out how we're going to move forward now that we've seen the Lost Missions. And we are indeed going to draw further inspiration from the released art...we're just not sure how much/how little, yet! Dave did say "Maybe you'll be the ones to tell it (the stories)," right? ;) So we're taking him up on his offer! haha

20. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    Although, to be fair eclipsing Anakin in maturity isn't a tall order.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You can say that again.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Actually looks like Lee too

23. Teaviex Cue

Teaviex Cue Jedi Padawan

Dec 25, 2012
    Just finished watching all the bonus episodes.... Wow this surely makes Star Wars deeper.
    And Revenge of the Sith even sadder :'(

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not the point.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I never felt Ahsoka eclipsed Anakin in any meaningful way. Or any way at all that comes to mind, and I have rewatched this whole series more times than I can remember.